First look at the Moto Krave ZN4
One intrepid Verizon user was able to score a Motorola Krave ZN4 before it's official release next week. So far he seems pretty happy with it saying "I am very impressed. Motorola did a great job. Solid fee.  Loud ear speaker. Glass not plastic screen (just like iPhone). Excellent call quality so far. Read text with lid closed. Nice and BIG like v9m." When we asked about the call quality, we were told "Just got off the phone and the call quality is typical Motorola excellence." Regarding texting, he says "I had the dare and this phone is much easier to text with even though the keys are smaller. It is more accurate to the touch. In fact the whole touch screen in general is more accurate. The Dare is somewhat sloppy."

Here are some of the pictures that he posted and agreed that we could use.
source: HoFo. Thanks Azranz!

Outdoor Images taken by the Krave:

First look at the Moto Krave ZN4

Beautiful... Time to give Motorola another chance!

posted on 11 Oct 2008, 23:29

Just to be let down again? I don't think I'm that dumb.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 12:42

I actually got to tinker around with this device at the VZW store and it rocks!!!! The clear cover that few understand is that its not just some fancy cover...its a working part of the phone. That Moto emblem is the speaker to listen through, and open or closed the clear piece is active. When closed the clear part becomes a touch screen. When open the silver piece is the ear speaker. The technology in the flip cover is clear so thats why it appears to be useless, but if you look real close in the light you can see the technology in the flip, its just clear. The key pad is fully touch screen. It's basically the Moto version of the iPhone. The camera is 2MP, the software is responsive not real laggy, and has Mobile TV. If you want a cool touch screen phone, a fancy flip, but don't want a brick sized iPhone or Dare...get the Moto Krave!

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 12:45

I'm response #25...I forgot to mention. The size of the phone is good too, not too big. And the phone feels sturdy not flimsy. When you open the flip it feels just like any other flip phone, just clear lol. And yes you can still use the touch feature when closed :)

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 10:22

I am not sure if all of you forgot about Motorla or something?? I had a Chance to play with this phone and it pretty much a fancy calculator to me. Sure the design is great not to mention the inovative front clear flip with the floating earpeice. But people this is classic Moto. Excellent design HORRIBLE Execution. At first when you hold it your like hey this is cool, look you can touch through the front cover WoW!!! and then you actually try and ues the phne and you realize you want to throw it at the wall!!!! All you people saying lets give Moto another chance...... And saying the touch screen is better on the Krave then the Dare...... People have any of you even held the phone? Try and text on it.......... I would rather not text at all if i had to text on this phone... So yeah i will give Moto its Props on the design but come on its just another glorified paper paperweight, Waiting to be anyore who buys its worst nightmare. Say What you want about it but until they actually make it worth using i am staying very far away!!!!

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 11:39

How big is the screen?

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 11:41

How big is the screen in comparison to the Dare & Voyager? Im up for my new every 2 and am considering between the Dare, Voyager, Krave, or wait for the Storm any advice?

posted on 19 Oct 2008, 19:57

anyone who has this phone, i will like to know if this phone is worth buying..

posted on 11 Oct 2008, 22:52

Verizon is going to have The KRAVE and The Storm - 2 best phones in the US circa 2009. Hard to choose from. The only inconvenience is watching TV on the Krave- there's no way to watch TV but to hold it in your hand.

posted on 11 Oct 2008, 23:30

If you can't be away from the TV for a long enough period of time that you just HAVE to have it on your phone, you need to get a life. Smoke some pot and get some friends. Leave your mom's basement and get a life.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 12:58

You cannot say verizon has the 2 best phones, simply because the new G1 at T-Mobile w/ Android and the open google interface has to be considered the top phone on the market, or at worst, number 2.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 13:07

Why are you complaining wether or not a phone has tv. Some people do leave their house or work alot and like to have something to do while out and about. So your whole argument that people should leave their house and get a life is why they put tv on their phone, cause they do leave their house. So stop bitching cause your razr has a hard time making calls.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 13:07

above was directed at post #7

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 14:55

PLEEEEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 15:12

way to spell genius

posted on 11 Oct 2008, 23:04

Hope you can use the touch screen through the glass flip, but looks like it would break quickly. If anything maybe VZW will lower the dare when it hits.

posted on 11 Oct 2008, 23:30

I wouldn't hold your breath. Some of it also depends on whether or not LG will give them a lower price on the Dare. My guess is no.

posted on 11 Oct 2008, 23:31

The touchscreen is indeed accessible with the flip closed. Certain features can only be "clicked" that way from what I understand. The clear flip looks sick. October 14th is the release date.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 02:49

12. T-Money3000 (unregistered)

And it's being priced around the Voyager. So cheaper than when VZW still sold the V9m

posted on 11 Oct 2008, 23:25

4. Armo (unregistered)

this phone looks GREAT! i'd take this over the dare any day. the UI actually looks really nice. (t-mobile should have gotten this. aha dont even get into it with me.) hopefully its replacement will come with a thinner body, bigger screen, 5 mp cam and an EVEN better UI. see, i told everyone, moto's still got it. ;)

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 10:56

The phone isnt even out and you are looking forward to it's replacement?

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 16:20

considering how phones roll now a days that shouldn't be to long tho

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 19:22

haha, i agree. thats funny

posted on 11 Oct 2008, 23:30

hey does anyone know if you can use the touchscreen without flipping the lid over.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 03:09

14. 0mie (unregistered)

Yes, you can :)

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 00:16

u have to text qwerty style with the flip open . i hope no that would suck...

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 18:42

you can text qwerty style or standard style. It has a sensor to tell if it is on it's side or normal

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 08:15

but to answer your question #10, you do have to open the lid to text...

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 01:48

does anyone know if this will still be compatible with the america's choice plan? im guessing no but i hope so..

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 02:51

13. T-Money3000 (unregistered)

That's a good question.... Even if it's not,... get Premium to use all the phone's apps! Why buy this phone if all u're gonna do is call and txt... the Nav is awesome, processor's extremely fast, and it even has Mobile TV!!

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 03:26

NO! Since it has a HTML Browser (like the Voyager, Dare, and Glyde) it MUST be on a Nationwide plan, so Verizon can charge you for data. You can't activate it on older plans like AC.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 09:18

Thats because older plans like AC are no longer iin use by verizon.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 12:12

21. T-Money3000 (unregistered)

My point was to get on a PREMIUM plan which in turn would be a Nationwide plan. On a PREMIUM plan data is unlimited.

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 11:46

48. T-Money3000 (unregistered)

Actually, I checked and it does NOT need to go on a Nationwide plan. I was just as surprised as you are but facts are facts....

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 13:35

sorry, you're wrong, you do need to go on the nationwide plan. This has a full html browswer and all regular cell phones that has that type of browser must go on the nationwide plan. No ifs ands or buts about it.

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 19:24

americas choice uses mobile web 2.0, so yes you have to get on nationwide, which ever customer service rep you talked is just shooting shit.they dont know

posted on 14 Oct 2008, 23:54

63. T-Money3000 (unregistered)

Hah! Yea! I was wrong. I guess facts are facts but only when they're true. lol

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 10:07

17. xmguy (unregistered)

I really like it. It blends standard flip phone style with a full touch screen

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 11:23

19. TIM BART (unregistered)

SO I HAVE BEEN BIG ON LG FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW BECAUSE THERE QUALITY HAS BEEN PROVEN. HOWEVER MOTOROLA HAD BECOME LAX IN THE PAST YEARS. BUT I HEAR THEY HAVE GOTTEN BETTER LATELY SO AFTER READING SEVERAL REVIEWS I AM GOING TO GIVE MOTOROLA A CHANCE AND HOPEFULLY THEY WILL LIVE UP TO THE REVIEWS I WILL BUY MINE ON FRIDAY THIS PHONE LOOKS TO BE BETTER THAN THE DARE..... I GUESS I WILL JUST HAVE TO SEE

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 11:28

20. tandersn9 (unregistered)

If only it didn't have that cheesy flip up thing. For me that ruins the entire phone and makes it look extremely cheap. If it didn't have that I think it would be better.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 12:13

22. T-Money3000 (unregistered)

Don't knock it til you try it!

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 16:36

Pictures can be deceiving, in person the phone really don't look bad. The clear part is cool too. It may be clear but the technology rocks.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 12:41

The internet browser is pretty cool. It has an on-screen mouse that you navigate with your finger. It makes it extremely easy to click link, no matter the size of the font on the page.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 16:43

Got a question about the picture, not about the Krave but the RAZR 2 that is shown. It shows it with the Verizon UI but the color of the phone and the keypad looks different. Instead of a camera/video button it has a speakerphone button. Its not the original RAZR 2 from Verizon. Does anyone know about that or is it just some Photoshop work?

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 17:11

32. Craig540 (unregistered)

What is the purpose of the clear cover other than to protect the touch pad.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 18:46

it is the earpiece that you listin through. consider it a flip phone when you open it up. the clear screen also doubles as a touch screen when it is closed. You just have to try it when you can to fully grasp the concept. It actually works well and the clear flip is really nice new technology.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 18:56

Wow, did you even bother to read a single comment or research ANYTHING about the phone? The clear part has the speaker in it. The silver Motorola emblem is the speaker. The clear panel is capacitive so you can use the touchscreen with the flip both open and closed. It's a flip phone with a touchscreen, not just a touch like an iPhone.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 22:15

The fact that the flip is glass and not cheap plastic will add weight giving it a better feel, the overall design is very cool. This is starting to remind me of the Motorola that I remember.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 22:47

The flip is plastic, not glass. But the touchscreen is glass, not plastic.

posted on 12 Oct 2008, 22:31

I see a lot of comments about the way the phone looks and how cheap the plastic must be. Honestly, the flip is a very thick, hard plastic. It is very responsive with the flip closed and the speaker comes thru clear when open. I still won't go as far as saying it's better than the Dare though. The Dare still has a lot of features I like - like being the only phone that records video at a resolution of 640 x 480 and a recording speed of up to 150 frames a second. Hands down, the still shots easily blow away the Krave's still shots ( as evident in the pictures above ). To be fair though, the Dare is 3MP and the Krave is only 2MP. The Dare is also thinner and the touch screen is slightly more responsive. The Krave's "clear" flip look is definitely getting the phone some style points. Maybe Moto is starting to climb their way back into the game.

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 00:48

40. T-Money3000 (unregistered)

YEA! WHAT HE SAID!

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 16:29

The dare is not more responsive in my experience, I tested this personally today at the store. The Krave's touch technology is alot better. I do agree the camera could be a little cleaner but hey its only 2MP. Its still better than the majority of phones have in peoples pockets.

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 00:42

39. Intelligence Anywhere? (unregistered)

Hmmm. About freakin time. I told Motorola the day the iPhone was announced they should take the Ming platform (China only at the time and very successful) and refine it and get it out before the iPhone launched in June 2007. The leadership team and CTO said touch screens would not be successful in the US and would never sell at $500. Will be interesting to see how this does.

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 16:06

Oh I bet you did. my is the CTO and he would of not said that!

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 09:10

its hard txt'ing qwerty with the flip open it gets in your way, blah everythign else is good on the phone except that.

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 09:46

If this is firmware OTA, then hopefully they can issue a 'fix' where you can text with the flip closed. Imagine that, a Moto phone for Verizon that needs a software revision before launch ;)

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 11:38

i cant wait until this comes out, i have been waiting to get rid of my lime green chocolate for about 20 months. tomorow is the day i am free from a terrible phone. and i heard that this one could be the best motorola phone ever

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 14:18

its hilarious seeing all the vzw fanboys coming out and supporting a motorola phone. when any other carrier gets a phone, i.e. g1 with t-mobile, diamond (better specs, but for some reason vzw fans think the vzw diamond will have better performance with lower specs), their phones are "horrible"...

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 14:59

give me a V - give an E give me an R give me I give me a Z give me an O give me an R ---whats that spell -the best wireless carrier in the world!!!

posted on 13 Oct 2008, 15:00

LOL --- -Verizor? my friend you've had the phone to close to your ear! Verizon is awesome - I think that's what you were saying!