Facebook for Windows Phone treated to a massive design overhaul, new features in store as well
As Facebook has already forced most of its mobile users to download its standalone messaging app, Facebook Messenger, the WP version of the social network is now fully integrated within its Messenger, which arrived on the platform several months ago. This means that users are enabled to switch between the duo in a seamless and convenient fashion.
Additionally, fans of the app will be able to shoot and upload videos directly to the WP version of Facebook. Another spic and span implementation is the scored support for the People Hub. The latter will only work on Windows Phone 8.1 devices and allows the Facebook app to take care of the contacts, events, and photos in your People Hub. While this might not be the most notable and important addition, the improved overall performance of the app probably is - after all, performance enhancements are always welcome, aren't they?
Are you using Facebook on Windows Phone? Is the new design worthy of your "like"? Share your thoughts below.
Download: Facebook (Windows Phone | Android | iOS)
Facebook for Windows Phone screenshots
source: Microsoft via Phone Scoop
4. ihavenoname (Posts: 1518; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Looks like Material UI with iOS7 color scheme, and pictures 2, 3 and 5 remind me a bit of Google Now card UI.
16. Rathish.silver (Posts: 6; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
I feel both iOS and Android copied WindowsPhone flat design :)
28. Muzhhur (Posts: 248; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Facebook had gone to the first UI on WP8. do you remember it?
5. colinkiama (Posts: 53; Member since: 23 Nov 2013)
It's actually Modern UI but since Material is heavily inspired by Modern UI it looks really similar. Especially the picture with the Like button highlighted.
7. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
This ones actually a mix, but you're right, they are all pretty much inspired by Modern design, Metro design... This is just the way things look in 2014... Doesn't matter where it came from,,, it just looks good.. And, I'm glad all OS's are using elements from Modern design because now all of them look up to date, instead of having that old 2008 look... Times change!
10. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3616; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
This actually looks better, like Metro UI done right, white theme looks better.
8. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 682; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
Have no idea what Material is, but the UI is now much more in line with the Metro/Modern WP UI = a good thing.
9. johndanvic (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
The design of this Facebook for WP app was already in use in its Beta app, weeks before Google announced Android L and its Material UI.
14. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
That's why the article mentioned that... If you'd read it.. Lol!!
6. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Best FB app yet!!! It's a pretty good mix of Modern, and traditional FB desing, and is definitely the best performing FB app on WP so far... Good job on whoever made this app for WP.... I think MS did..
13. Damo579 (Posts: 217; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Rodney it looks great, now it is time to add the missing features to it. Proud Lumia 1020 owner here. Yes MS made it and I really like the Green 1520
15. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Go to the app, and submit your ideas for any missing features!!!.. They won't know if you don't tell them!!!!!!
19. boblight (Posts: 84; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
I guess that would be the photos in the comment section. Not having that sucks. I miss out on all the funny memes people post in the comment section :( But other than that, yeah, its great. Im now using the app more than the web version. However would like the timeline to show more from my friends post, and thats it.
18. sip1995 (Posts: 939; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Most of the users don't know that there is a beta app for facebook...
20. VyktorJonas (Posts: 35; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
interesting how Facebook respects even WP's guidelines but not Android's
23. Kishin (Posts: 647; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Oh me! Still using paper but I like the way this turned out.
25. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 865; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
Last update was good, this is better... I am not heavy FB user, but the changes are noticeable.
26. Dude2014 (Posts: 182; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
Facebook on Android is crap .. compare to iOS and WP. -_-