Experiencing bugs with Android 4.3? You are not alone, here’s a list of some issues
We are not sure how widespread the problem is or if it affects specific Nexus devices. We encountered no problems using Netflix on one of our new Nexus 7 units in conjunction with Chromecast. Though, we do not recall specifically if we left the Netflix app open when the tablet went to sleep either.
That said, a number of other issues seem to be creeping into view with Android 4.3 as well. We are reading sporadic complaints about slow user experiences on the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. However, with Android 4.3 there is now support for “fstrim” which is supposed to fix sluggishness in first generation Nexus 7 tablets. There have also been some reports of Nexus 4 devices getting hung-up on the boot screen, but again, this does not seem to be affecting every device out there.
Now, it is looking like Android 4.3 may have compatibility issues with some Bluetooth keyboards. Keyboards like ZAGGkeys FLEX, Spider, and Kensington will pair, but typing actions do not register on the Nexus devices.
Google and Netflix have acknowledged the problem they are having and working on a fix. These other issues are still awaiting a response, though the bugs have been noted in the Android Open Source Project Issue Tracker.
Since Android 4.3 updates were rolled out in phases, it is possible you have not updated your Nexus gear yet. If you use third-party Bluetooth keyboards or like to watch Netflix a lot, you might want to hold off on your update until things are on track for a fix.
If you have already upgraded, are you experiencing these issues or something as yet not widely reported?
sources: Gotta Be Mobile and Android Police
1. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1054; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Running 4.3 on my N4 and its working flawlessly.
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 12727; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
There's more people running it than just you dude.
6. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Use your brain, he is just telling that his phone is ok after update
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Hey, no need to attack jedii for stating something that's true.
33. aditya.k (Posts: 482; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Hey, no need to attack marbovo for stating something that's true.
35. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Too bad I wasn't attacking him. Go away.
52. Blake (Posts: 4; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
Hey, no need to attack aditya.k for stating something that's true.Too bad you were attacking him.
50. darkkjedii (Posts: 12727; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Smurf, I guess he couldn't see that I wasn't attacking Joshing. I was merely stating, it's early for the rollout. Any new launch is gonna have issues, that's why they have updates, and patches. +1 bro
41. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1054; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
At the end of the article it says to state if you are experiencing these issues. I stated that I was not having issues. Sorry if I upset you. I hope you have a super wonderful day.
64. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
The thing is jedi is that your comment added no value to this article, and we all know that you always tell us you own both devices. Somehow, I really do not believe that, however, compared to my and taco, you are mostly not all that bad of a poster.
26. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Ditto. Haven't really noticed anything drastically different at this point, good or bad. Waiting for my Chromecast, will have to see how Netflix performs after that.
30. akki20892 (Posts: 3659; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
if u guys have bug, then call ORKIN pest control now, kill bug in minute.
go to store and buy bug spray
39. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
And that's why humanity has no sense of humor these days, they can't even smile on a joke and calling people lame.
Come on dude, smile more!
59. akki20892 (Posts: 3659; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
because u can't make joke.
55. JunitoNH (Posts: 987; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Yeah dude, in contrast my butter is gone. Guess back to project lard with 4.3
66. neoprimal (Posts: 2; Member since: 03 Aug 2013)
Do you have a way to test Wifi 5Ghz J?
My N4 works fine as well (I haven't chanced using Netflix yet), however I definitely have a problem with Wifi 5Ghz where I barely get 5Mbps on a 50Mbps connection. If I switch to 2.4Ghz, i get the regular speed and connection.
The signal is very strong, there's just little to no throughput. I can barely download apps, etc.
Let me know if you can please and thanks.
3. gustavo4 (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
My nexus 4 took about a week to get the update....after I finally got it when the phone went to install the update ..the screen said error...and it got stuck on the boot up page....called google and apparently they weren't aware of the problem,so I had to wait for their specialist to figure out what happened...at least in getting a new one (not refurbished!) I never had any problem with my N4
65. Tsoliades (Posts: 216; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)
You've modified the system files in some way. Same thing happened to me, I uninstalled Busybox, my AdAway hosts files, and restored my original soft keys and my Nexus 7 updated normally.
4. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 195; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Mine runs well, the only glitch I've found is at start up it still shows the Nexus color X instead of the 4 circles.
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
My N7 still displays the X too. I don't mind it though.
15. MirOsamahAli (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Why? What is it supposed to display after the update? :S
25. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 195; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Android 4.3 is meant to display a X made up of circles instead of line's and animate like the lines with color and movement.
Make no difference now to me but I was a little disappointed the first time it wasn't there.
32. cretinick (Posts: 147; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
I think the new boot animation is only for the Google Edition Phones (S4 and One) which are not Nexus. The X is exclusive for Nexus devices. That's why they created a diferent boot animation. Thats my guess.
Mine continues with the old animation.
40. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4111; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
You mean like the animation of the Google Play Edition Galaxy S4 and One? Those are special animations for Play Edition devices, Nexus devices will still have the traditional X.
72. the_s2 (Posts: 211; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
My nexus 7 is hellishly slow after the update!
8. 1113douglas (Posts: 192; Member since: 04 Jul 2013)
48% OFF ALL SMARTPHONES ARE NOW RUNNING JELLY BEAN
20. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
All the kids of 2 year contracts are getting updates.
11. gustavo4 (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Yes I'm in the USA ....but I lost Lot,of things that was stored on my phone
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8924; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You should invest in cloud storage. Dropbox, Google Drive, G Cloud, etc. are your best friends when it comes to storage.
19. joey_sfb (Posts: 3294; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Goggle should give people the option to backup to either microSD card or Cloud.
This is where the iOS still shine. Every iOS device is backup with iTune to HDD with Cloud optional.
These are critical feature to have if Android were to be deployed in corporate environment.
27. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
If the corporate environment is anything like where I work, that will be banned and you'll be forced to use their own network for security and HIPAA reasons.
42. joey_sfb (Posts: 3294; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Understand different environment require different levels of securities.
If Google build in more security standards they could compete in the corporate arena. Currently Microsoft Windows 8 has advantage for Exchange, SharePoint and Lync.
60. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I have tons of free storage with Dropbox, Google drive, and Box (if I ever needed it)..and all free...why get ripped off and pay Apple for cloud storage?
70. TMach (Posts: 388; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
And pay a fortune for it! Apple is creaming it......Stick with my dropbox, Google Drive, thanks!! Oh yeah, and its free....
23. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 703; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
thtas why they always say back up your fone before updating.........
13. MirOsamahAli (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
The new Nexus7 has the same lockscreen animation as Nexus 4 on 4.3, i noticed this when i checked out the reviews, why aren't we getting the same on our 4.3? :(
14. roscuthiii (Posts: 1873; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Ah damn it... that's what I get for breaking my "wait three months so all the bugs are ironed out" rule. My Nexus should be arriving Tuesday, and with my luck I won't ave any single one of these issues; I'll have all of them.
Also, not just Google but all the companies. How in the hell do they let bugs like this get through during development? I mean, a few small bugs (in my layman's terms: ones you won't notice or may momentarily raise an eyebrow at) that pop up are unavoidable, but major ones (layman's terms: makes you exhale "What the f@#$?!" and toss your device down) should never make it to store shelves.
*woo-sah* *woo-sah* It'll be okay, it'll be okay. Maybe I won't get one with any problems.
24. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
9/10 they are aware of them, but tight deadlines mean the product is released into the market with underlying bugs. I just find it amusing when fanboys feel the need to make excuses; the bugs exist, apologists just haven't encountered them, yet!
16. DaNTRoN (Posts: 135; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
No issue with my nexus 4. Got update 2 days after release. I still have the x at start up but that's not an issue for me. Things will be patched soon I expect though.
18. PootisMan (Posts: 204; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
So far there are no issues with 4.3 on my Nexus 4. I do feel bad for the people that are experiencing problems though. :(
22. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
One of my friends who was having problems downgraded to a 4.2 and reinstalled and it fixed it.
28. beasteator (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
my Nexus 4 seems to occasionally lag with 4.3 which it never used to do before! its sad :( I liked it better before
29. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Have the old nexus 7 and 4.3 made my tablet enjoyable to use again..I have had that bug where the screen don't wake but it only happened once where as on 4.2 it happened quite a few time..also have had some random slowness when not doing much but again since 4.3 it has happened only twice where as before it happened regularly other than those 3 instance its been the smoothest android experience I have had on my nexus 7 since the original 4.1
31. Styposlava (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
2 days of using 4.3 update .. and my nexus 7 crashed with white horizontal lines all over the screen while playing a game and restarted itself once ... never happened a single reboot or crash using 4.2.2 ...
36. Lutanica (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
I upgraded to 4.3 and found out that my storage went down from 11GB (available storage on a 16GB) device) to 5.76GB!!! That was a huge wonder. There are a few other people with the same issue. And yes lagging was also a problem. Specially on chrome beta. I thought to myself maybe I'm used to CM roms (fast as hell) but it seems that it's 4.3 that has a problem.
62. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Hmmm, I checked mine and I still have 13GB...now, when you do the update it wipes the device. You then must start again and enter your gmail info. If you check to have everything backed up and restored then probably you downloaded all apps you previously downloaded on other devices.
37. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
The only I've notice to my gnexus with 4.3 jb is fast charging and no video player compatible right after I updated. Netflix, I didn't try it yet.
47. kanagadeepan (Posts: 726; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
MX Player Pro has been updated to support Android 4.3...
43. Taters (Posts: 3606; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
The dolphin browser I use is definitely not optimized for 4.3 yet but it should be soon.
44. mas11 (Posts: 1032; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I wonder if 4.3 was supposed to be announced at Google I/O but wasn't finished so they had to rush to finish it in time for that breakfast event.
45. indianapple89 (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
After I updated my Nexus 4 to 4.3 via OTA, my accelerometer has stopped working.
No temple run (not properly at least).
More importantly: Photosphere isn't working!
Anyone else facing this problem?