Apple and Samsung are cool, but Polytron Technologies aims higher - at the fully transparent smartphone!
It seems that is exactly what the Taiwanese from Polytron Technologies are trying to do here by unveiling this fully transparent smartphone prototype. Naturally, we aren't sure at all if their plan is to succeed, because the benefits of the transparent phone are somewhat unclear to us, but still, it's interesting to see what these guys think about the future of the smartphone.
As you can see from the images, the prototype device is almost fully transparent, with the only visible stuff being the board, chips, memory card and camera. The rest is just a piece of glass with a small touchscreen (also transparent) positioned in the center. According to Polytron, such devices may be available by the end of 2013 - a time-frame which sounds quite unlikely to us.
All in all, while we still can't see much use in a fully transparent gadget, we're glad to see that some companies are trying to develop such kinds of futuristic stuff. You never know where the next big thing may come from!
1. wendygarett (limited) 6 days ago posted on 29 Jan 2013, 02:40 13 1
Hmm, if this is true, retina display will die soon, coz this screen display will make the most realistic and accurate colour saturation in the whole universe!!! /sarcasm
2. aokde posted on 29 Jan 2013, 02:47 19 0
People need good battery life! Not this.
When will the day come that batteries evolve :-(
21. Ohrules posted on 29 Jan 2013, 09:08 11 0
and i don't want everyone to see that i'm watching porn on my phone....
23. TarunV posted on 29 Jan 2013, 10:13 9 0
And it would be really hard to find that damn thing once lost. :-/
27. MobileCaseReview posted on 29 Jan 2013, 11:20 4 0
HAHAHAHA OMG, I literally started LOL at my office. Too funny.
26. DonkeySauce posted on 29 Jan 2013, 10:53 2 0
Speaking of batteries, notice this phone doesn't even have one?
3. emadshiny posted on 29 Jan 2013, 02:53 8 0
where the hell is the battery?
if you put it in the device, then it is no more transparent. lest the battery is transparent as well!!!
5. wendygarett (limited) 6 days ago posted on 29 Jan 2013, 02:57 0 3
The transparent can be used as absorbed solar energy imo :)
9. emadshiny posted on 29 Jan 2013, 03:16 6 0
but again there must be some cells to store the energy.
14. temuchka1996 posted on 29 Jan 2013, 04:36 2 0
didin`t you see the post where chineze students were creating transparent battery cells?
4. ZetanAlaz posted on 29 Jan 2013, 02:54 0 0
Wow, it looks cool. As I watched some futuristic movies, I want this transparent screen so badly.
This screen may will be a badass screen among of all. Who knows?
Besides, I second to aokde's comment, we need good battery life atm, but it's still a great invention though.
6. ekie84 posted on 29 Jan 2013, 03:04 2 0
why the f would i want a fully transparent smarphone??lulz
8. speckledapple posted on 29 Jan 2013, 03:16 0 0
Transparent seems like it has no place. Unless that transparency allows us to change from transparent to something else on the fly as well as the ultimate skins or even textures. Beyond that, not even a novelty item.
10. Nathan_ingx posted on 29 Jan 2013, 03:21 0 0
Alright...no pun, it looks cool.
Everyone can 'see' the 'bugs'...(yes, pun).
15. champ_vl posted on 29 Jan 2013, 06:31 0 0
Wait a minute ! What about the battery? Until you make that transparent too, it will ruin the whole transparency design...and you can't just fit a tiny battery so it won't be visible
16. joshOps85 posted on 29 Jan 2013, 06:33 1 0
Another idea for apple to buy out and call it their own innovation
18. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 29 Jan 2013, 07:24 3 0
A must have for all those who have to show off how big their SD card is.
20. Meleagru posted on 29 Jan 2013, 08:01 1 0
The biggest advantage to a see-through phone is that you can lose it much more easily
24. gwuhua1984 posted on 29 Jan 2013, 10:47 1 0
The ultimate question is... whether to put a case on it or not... Damn... tough choice...
25. yougotkilled1 posted on 29 Jan 2013, 10:52 0 0
This article reminds me of the LG crystal. Now that phone was nice for its time.
29. joseg81 posted on 29 Jan 2013, 13:13 0 0
i don't know about wanting a phone like this but a computer would be nice like this. it reminds me of all the stuff you see in sci fi movies nowadays.
31. MC1123 posted on 29 Jan 2013, 20:02 1 0
i dont want to have a transparent phone coz people will know what the hell im doing!
32. Chris_Bakke posted on 29 Jan 2013, 20:15 2 0
If you dropped this IT WILL SHATTER!!!! No point at all.
33. Rocksteady posted on 29 Jan 2013, 23:30 1 0
Exaclty, I think once it's dropped, it will scatter all over the play, unless you use a protective case for it, then the transparency is useless.
34. roscuthiii posted on 30 Jan 2013, 01:31 0 0
Hmm, the battery issue seems to be pretty well covered, so... How about screen visibility on those really bright sunny days?
I don't even think this thing pictured is a prototype, looks more like a mock-up with a screen simulation sticker on it like they have at phone kiosks.
35. jroc74 posted on 31 Jan 2013, 01:13 0 0
Yea cuz I want a phone where the picture quality goes down alot....especially trying to use it outside.
Like others have said...it will be easier to loose. And using it outside will be a waste of your time n energy.