Apple and Samsung are cool, but Polytron Technologies aims higher - at the fully transparent smartphone!
It seems that is exactly what the Taiwanese from Polytron Technologies are trying to do here by unveiling this fully transparent smartphone prototype. Naturally, we aren't sure at all if their plan is to succeed, because the benefits of the transparent phone are somewhat unclear to us, but still, it's interesting to see what these guys think about the future of the smartphone.
As you can see from the images, the prototype device is almost fully transparent, with the only visible stuff being the board, chips, memory card and camera. The rest is just a piece of glass with a small touchscreen (also transparent) positioned in the center. According to Polytron, such devices may be available by the end of 2013 - a time-frame which sounds quite unlikely to us.
All in all, while we still can't see much use in a fully transparent gadget, we're glad to see that some companies are trying to develop such kinds of futuristic stuff. You never know where the next big thing may come from!
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
Hmm, if this is true, retina display will die soon, coz this screen display will make the most realistic and accurate colour saturation in the whole universe!!! /sarcasm
2. aokde (Posts: 186; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
People need good battery life! Not this.
When will the day come that batteries evolve :-(
21. Ohrules (Posts: 326; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
and i don't want everyone to see that i'm watching porn on my phone....
22. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
LOL !! I was also thinking exactly the same
23. TarunV (Posts: 28; Member since: 21 Jul 2012)
And it would be really hard to find that damn thing once lost. :-/
27. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 242; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
HAHAHAHA OMG, I literally started LOL at my office. Too funny.
26. DonkeySauce (Posts: 174; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
Speaking of batteries, notice this phone doesn't even have one?
3. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
where the hell is the battery?
if you put it in the device, then it is no more transparent. lest the battery is transparent as well!!!
5. wendygarett (unregistered)
The transparent can be used as absorbed solar energy imo :)
9. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
but again there must be some cells to store the energy.
14. temuchka1996 (Posts: 19; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
didin`t you see the post where chineze students were creating transparent battery cells?
4. ZetanAlaz (Posts: 14; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Wow, it looks cool. As I watched some futuristic movies, I want this transparent screen so badly.
This screen may will be a badass screen among of all. Who knows?
Besides, I second to aokde's comment, we need good battery life atm, but it's still a great invention though.
6. ekie84 (Posts: 13; Member since: 02 Mar 2010)
why the f would i want a fully transparent smarphone??lulz
8. speckledapple (Posts: 887; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Transparent seems like it has no place. Unless that transparency allows us to change from transparent to something else on the fly as well as the ultimate skins or even textures. Beyond that, not even a novelty item.
10. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Alright...no pun, it looks cool.
Everyone can 'see' the 'bugs'...(yes, pun).
11. wendygarett (unregistered)
15. champ_vl (Posts: 44; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
Wait a minute ! What about the battery? Until you make that transparent too, it will ruin the whole transparency design...and you can't just fit a tiny battery so it won't be visible
16. joshOps85 (Posts: 31; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Another idea for apple to buy out and call it their own innovation
17. buccob (Posts: 1880; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
How can you watch porn privately on this thing?
18. Aeires (unregistered)
A must have for all those who have to show off how big their SD card is.
20. Meleagru (Posts: 87; Member since: 03 Dec 2012)
The biggest advantage to a see-through phone is that you can lose it much more easily
24. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
The ultimate question is... whether to put a case on it or not... Damn... tough choice...
25. yougotkilled1 (Posts: 167; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
This article reminds me of the LG crystal. Now that phone was nice for its time.
28. DomSanity (Posts: 17; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
I'm waiting for the EYE CANCER comment :3
29. joseg81 (Posts: 172; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
i don't know about wanting a phone like this but a computer would be nice like this. it reminds me of all the stuff you see in sci fi movies nowadays.
31. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i dont want to have a transparent phone coz people will know what the hell im doing!
32. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 220; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
If you dropped this IT WILL SHATTER!!!! No point at all.
33. Rocksteady (unregistered)
Exaclty, I think once it's dropped, it will scatter all over the play, unless you use a protective case for it, then the transparency is useless.
34. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Hmm, the battery issue seems to be pretty well covered, so... How about screen visibility on those really bright sunny days?
I don't even think this thing pictured is a prototype, looks more like a mock-up with a screen simulation sticker on it like they have at phone kiosks.
35. jroc74 (Posts: 5258; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Yea cuz I want a phone where the picture quality goes down alot....especially trying to use it outside.
Like others have said...it will be easier to loose. And using it outside will be a waste of your time n energy.