BlackBerry Priv User Reviews

6.6

Fabricius posted on Feb 23, 2017, 10:16 AM
Posts: 10; Member since: Oct 01, 2015

A real head turner

Fabricius has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The phone just can't compete hardware-wise with the likes of the Pixel, iPhone 7 or Galaxy S7 but that's only natural, it's a 15 months old device now. Anyone who expects a last year flagship to compete with the current gen ones is a fool. But it can compete in design (blows everyone away except maybe de S7 Edge, both are gorgeous phones) and productivity. The physical keyboard is something no other bran offers, and it's prety good. Also, in everyday life you won't notice any lag and it will perform just as you would expect, but it will get warm pretty fast if you're doing games or updating lots of apps at the same time. The front camera is meh, but the rear facing it's amazing

Pros

Cons

• Gets warm
  • No finger print sensor
  • Front facing camera

adrianeds posted on Dec 25, 2015, 2:40 PM
Posts: 14; Member since: Oct 18, 2014

A Beast in Every Sense.

adrianeds has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I've had a lot of phones in my time, & every brand possible. The Blackberry Priv is up there with the best. I've had Blackberry's in the past, & for business they are stunning, it's just sometimes you want more, so with Android on board the Priv was well worth a look. Since I've had it the Priv has been sensational, for me that is, productivity is fantastic, calendars, emails etc works seamlessly. And since the update, everything is even better, the camera excels now in every department. If you're unsure check the camera score it gets at DxOMark, it's 82. The Priv is in the top ten on there, & that's a real credit to Blackberry. For me it's business & pleasure, at the front you have all the business functions you need, your office door, in the back you have a full blown Christmas party going on. And that can only be good thing for Blackberry, & lets home it is a start of a new beginning for Blackberry as they deserve it.

Pros

Cons

• Nothing

Dr.Phil posted on Dec 19, 2015, 12:47 AM
Posts: 2252; Member since: Feb 14, 2011

Blackberry Priv - A True Flagship Device (a Review AFTER many Software Updates!)

Dr.Phil has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

***IMPORTANT NOTICE TO READERS: MY REVIEW COMES AFTER A MAJOR SOFTWARE UPDATE THAT HAS FIXED ALMOST ALL OF THE ISSUES OTHER REVIEWERS HAVE NOTED****

I will say that in the time that I've owned the Blackberry Priv I have not experienced any major software bugs or issues. Those bugs or issues that I did experience were largely eradicated by the latest (12/7/15) update by Blackberry. Blackberry has been great about updating their products and this is the first Android device I've owned that has put all of the major software updates through Google Play. For example, the camera on the Priv can be updated through Google Play instead of through a regular over-the-air software update that takes a lot longer to receive. This means that instead of waiting months to receive a software update, it can happen at a more rapid pace. Since updating all of the Blackberry apps and software, I can honestly say this is one of the best performing devices bar none. I just had an iPhone 6S Plus and I traded it in for this. I have no regrets so far.

While the Priv does not showcase materials that are found in other flagship devices (i.e., a type of metal casing), the build quality is nonetheless astonishing and a testament to the great build quality that Blackberry has with all of their devices. The device feels very grippy in the hands and has a great feel to it overall.
I have never experienced any drop calls or reception unless I was in an area that no other phone would have reception either.
Voices are clear on both ends. And when using speakerphone, the microphones are able to pick up on my voice from far away very clearly (at least according to those I am on the phone with).
Google Chrome is the standard internet browser used on this device and it is snappy as on any other smartphone device.
It uses stock Google apps for multimedia.
This is a VERY important note: BEFORE the latest update I would have put the camera at about a 7/10, however AFTER the latest update I would say the device's camera is on par or even better than the majority of flagship devices out there.
I've never experienced a hiccup, neither before or after the latest update. However, I do find the experience even snappier after the latest update. For example, the device used to take about a minute to a minute and a half to boot up from off, but now the device takes less than 30 seconds to boot from an off position.
I find that I am more productive using a Blackberry device than any other device I've used before. That goes for Blackberry's version of Android as well. The Blackberry apps built in are great. You find that the "Device Search" application is wonderful for those times you need to look up an old text from weeks ago that someone sent you or an email from 3 months ago. No other Android device has that capability. Example: the other day I was trying to find a specific text message someone sent m
With both a physical and software keyboard at your fingertips, I doubt anyone could find complaints here. On top of that, the touch-enabled physical keyboard is wonderful. Not only have I used it to navigate web pages and long text conversations, but you can use it to swipe up certain word predictions as you're typing on it. So, for example, if I am typing the word "conversation" and I get through C-O-N of the word. It will show me three options on the lower part of the display and the one t
It's a beautiful AMOLED Quad HD display that displays vivid colors. Between this and the iPhone 6S Plus, I found this to have a display I was more drawn to.
This device easily lasts through an entire day and I'm sure you could get two days of usage out of it if you wanted to.

Pros

• Beautiful AMOLED Quad HD Display shows vivid and bright colors
  • Snappy UI - especially after the latest update
  • Productivity apps that make you get stuff done quicker than on other Android devices
  • Curved edge display brings new shortcuts and functions while adding to the beautiful design
  • Touch-enabled physical keyboard is a dream to type on and find using it more than software keyboard
  • Constant Blackberry software updates mean that bugs/problems are fixed promptly and new features added regularly
  • Wonderful 18MP camera takes amazing photos in a variety of lighting scenarios
  • Battery easily lasts a day of moderate to heavy usage
  • Premium build quality
  • Blackberry Android skin is the best balance of stock Android with useful added features

Cons

• 2 MP front-facing camera may be off-putting to those who want to take "selfies"
  • Mono front-facing speaker is great, but it could've been better with dual-front facing speakers
  • Could have used more premium build materials (i.e., metal, aluminum, etc.)

Dr.Phil alternatives:

pooma posted on Nov 29, 2015, 9:41 PM
Posts: 85; Member since: Oct 01, 2015

nice

pooma has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

astonishing deviation for blackberry. Very happy thus far, exceeds my expectations .I bought as a pre-order and was a bit apprehensive but a wonderful blend of new and traditional. The physical keyboard, in use, allows a huge area of typing space and the virtual is as good as any android I have owned. Adequate front camera and very good main shooter.

lenis posted on Nov 26, 2015, 11:23 PM
Posts: 6; Member since: Nov 26, 2015

Resell to my friend

lenis has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I excited with this bb
this bb is good
but not good compared with samsung
i use this 3 days, i sell to my friend

battery is not long enough
camera is not good enough
there is apps now. better than before.

Pros

• nothing

lenis alternatives:

MuhatorMomahad posted on Nov 22, 2015, 11:07 AM
Posts: 6; Member since: Nov 22, 2015

Good, Just Not GREAT

MuhatorMomahad has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The PRIV’s isn’t great if I’m honest -- and I really do enjoy a good QWERTY keyboard on my phone. It lacks the tactility and precision of the Passport’s and, while it does have a few nifty tricks up its sleeve, you can use it to scroll through menus and the like, it just doesn’t live up to expectation. A nice addition to a very different-style of BlackBerry, yes, but something the phone could also have survived without, which brings me back to my original point: is BlackBerry’s obsession with keyboards built on nostalgia or actual consumer demands? After trying to use this one for two weeks, I have to admit, it sort of feels like the former…

The reality is quite a bit different, though, unfortunately. During my 10 days use of the handset, the PRIV seldom made it through a full day -- 8am to 10pm -- without requiring a top-up at some point. Now, this real-world type of battery testing is entirely subjective to how I used the phone -- your experience might be different -- but I did notice the PRIV eats through charge at a rather alarming rate when you’re actually using it, something I’m assuming BlackBerry is very keen for you to do.

For instance, while checking emails and the like over coffee most mornings I was able to drain around 20%-25% off the battery in about 30 minutes. On my Galaxy Note 5, for the sake of comparison, the same ritual took about ~5% of the handset’s charge. Again, this is something that can potentially be resolved with further optimisations to the software,...

Pros

No Pros

Cons

• Battery Performance Is Sketchy At Best
  • There Are Some Performance Gremlins
  • Keyboard Isn't As Good As Passport's Setup

MuhatorMomahad alternatives:

Johnnokia posted on Nov 19, 2015, 9:34 PM
Posts: 1158; Member since: May 27, 2012

This is not you, the legend giant BlackBerry

Johnnokia has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

My expectations were much higher than this, BlackBerry.
I just expected this phone to be mine for years
From the first day I received this, The iceberg of problems started to appear.
when I installed all my apps, an error message pop out the screen after few seconds. I called the support center and they failed to resolve this issue, but they finally asked me to do factory reset. I did that 3 times but the problem was still there.
Later, the support team handled my case to the "Escalation Department'', and I'm still waiting till this moment for them. Unfortunately, no one contacted me after they promised to call back. However, I was able to temporally to fix this problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the BlackBerry Services app. So, I just discovered that this problem is caused by the buggy BlackBerry software. Once I integrate any email client to the hub, the problems come back again.

The hub is so bad compared to the one on BB10. I can't integrate Whatsapp, Instagram ,,... etc.
The hub also doesn't show the notification till I manually open it, so this makes it so useless to me.

The build quality is not the real well-known BlackBerry quality at all. It is all plastic in everywhere, even the screen is made of plastic. The back cover wobbling and flexing like a sponge. Also, there is a clicking sound when I type on the scree, I feel the two pieces of the phone are not attached well to each other. the camera lens cover is so scratch-able. Don't put the phone in with...

No premium material, No premium feel. Clicking while typing. Wobbling back.
BlackBerry hub is junk compared with my Z10
Display is great, but why plastic?

Pros

• Excellent screen resolution
  • Surprisingly feels thin
  • The best BlackBerry camera so far, but still not that great
  • Good external speaker

Cons

• Very bad software that is filled with bugs
  • Terrible build quality
  • Bad front facing camera
  • Hub is almost useless
  • Headphone output is not loud enough
  • Touch Keyboard is slow and malfunctional for multiple languages
  • QWERTY keyboard is small and annoying
  • Average battery life
  • Charging take years to get full charge
  • Extremely expensive to what it gives

Johnnokia alternatives:

Pattyface posted on Nov 14, 2015, 7:24 AM
Posts: 1658; Member since: Aug 20, 2014

My thoughts on the priv

Pattyface has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Where to start...
I have had this phone for roughly 24 hours and I have to day this is a mixed bag for me.
Pro: Let's start with the screen, it's simply a beautiful display that has nice punchy colors and is vibrant. The keyboard for me will take some time getting up to speed as Im so used to the vkb but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.it feels really nice to click buttons and has a nice feel overall. The speaker while only mono and on one side of the bottom it's quite loud and is clear. The vibration motor has a nice pleasant sound/feel, it's one of the best I've had. BB keep the is very similar to stock which is good, they have added a few of their apps to make it feel more blackberry like.
Con: the camera... Not at all what I would consider standout. I've taken multiple pictures of the same object in the same lighting and got vastly different results, it's also not very fast to get multiple pictures out. The battery so far has been average at best, which doesn't cut it in today's flagship. Maybe I'm still in the conditioning of the battery and will gladly change my stance on this if it changes but so far I'm not at all impressed.
The biggest letdown and con for me personally is the build quality.. The left side of the phone has a spot that if you push it inwardly with your finger it flexes and makes a click sound.. Drives me insane, the back of it has a spot by the BlackBerry sign that you can push in as well.. Like there is airspace behind it but not supported to keep...

Pros

• Fantastic screen
  • Pkb has a nice feel
  • Clicking the keyboard is gratifying
  • Loud speaker is really loud and clear
  • Vibration motor is high quality

Cons

• Picture quality
  • Build quality isn't that good
  • Battery life is average at best

Zeeya posted on Nov 13, 2015, 6:48 AM
Posts: 331; Member since: Mar 17, 2013

BlackBerry + Android = Awesome

Zeeya has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I'm coming from a BlackBerry Passport and have to say I had some doubt about using an Android.
I usually dislike it but I was very surprised what BlackBerry did with it.

I'm happy to have an OS with a huge App ecosystem without missing my favourite features from BB10. The awesome Keyboard and the Hub.

I'm very happy with the build quality and the battery life and I guess I will keep my device.

Pros

• HUB
  • Storage expandable up to 2TB
  • 2K Edge screen
  • Awesome accurate virtual Keyboard
  • DTEK
  • BBM

Cons

• Cam focus a little bit to slow
  • a little bit to heavy (190g)
  • Hexa Core instead of Octa Core

Zeeya alternatives:

judalion55 posted on Sep 16, 2016, 8:47 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 16, 2016

Productivity Machine!

judalion55 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

In my opinion there is no other smartphone other than BB10 which could match the productivity of the Priv for emails and business. If you are looking for a serious performer to stay connected out of the office, look no further.

Seriously underrated phone, especially after Android Marshmallow upgrade. It really deserves a better rating, and much better sales volumes.

Few people even know that Blackberry made an Android phone, nevermind how good it is. I highly recommend it.

The slider could be more stable, feels slightly flimsy at times.
Superb and far better than any other device I had before. Well done BlackBerry.
Earpiece has a little bit of static but otherwise very loud and clear.
Full-house connectivity options, cannot complain at all!
Out-of-the-box multimedia expereince not top notch, but nothing other apps on the Play store cannot fix. superb screen for viewing photos and videos. Speaker nice and clear, although stereo speakers would have been nice.
After the Marshmallow update it is really up there with the best in terms of simplicity and good images quality for a phone.
Quick and smooth, have not experienced any lag yet.
Superb for everyday use. The Blackberry Hub is genius! The physical keyboard is perfect for me. And it is a real attention-grabber too!
Best of both world with superb virtual and physical keyboards. Really, one cannot find any fault here.
Curved 5.4" Quad HD Amoled .. It is one of the best!
I am a moderate user, so I end the day with more than 50% of battery still left. That said, previously my Lumia 930 and iPhone 6 barely lasted until after 5pm, so this is a massive improvement for me.

Pros

• Superb Everyday Use
  • Great Battery
  • Fantastic Screen with curved edges
  • Blackberry Hub
  • Encrypted for Full Security
  • Camera is very good
  • No other Android phone offers a physical keyboard

Cons

• Build-quality could have been a little better
  • Difficult to find covers and accessories outside USA and Canada

judalion55 alternatives:

MarcoPro posted on May 17, 2016, 5:33 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: May 17, 2016

Would have been better with BlackBerry OS 10

MarcoPro has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I spent an hour filling in why I gave each rating I did and then the webpage crashed and I lost all of my inputs. I will try and come back to edit my review if possible but I wanted to get my ratings in so that other will know just how good this phone is. I picked up a Samsung GS7 edge the other day and must say I'm not impressed so far.

Pros

• text input both touch & physical
  • BlackBerry apps especially the hub

Cons

• It's not BB OS 10

cpacman1975 posted on Feb 18, 2016, 11:39 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Feb 18, 2016

Surprisingly good phone

cpacman1975 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This is a great phone. Normally when you talk to people about a Blackberry at a phone store, they cringe. Everyone I talked to had a positive review. This phone routinely rates in the top 5 for Android phones, and now I know why. I do not regret buying this phone.

Others rate the build quality as low, because the lack of metal, this feels solid in the hand, and great to hold, the phone looks and feels premium, and does not require metal to do so
Never had an issue with dropped call, poor wifi or cellular signal.
Calls are crisp and life like
at 60MPS download speeds, this thing is lightning quick
With the additional of android, apps are easy to find. Android is not quite as well rounded as BB10 was, and sharing images and photos are not as efficient
Images are spectacular, but the camera doesn't see to know when to use the flash, and when not to. I have not seen any of the issues that other owners have seen about the poor camera quality, or the low speed of focusing.
option to use the keyboard or the screen keeps everyone happy. I find the keyboard a bit cramnped
Not quite as good as my Z30, but still impressive., I get better battery life than my freind with a Samsung S5, which is always on power saving mode

Pros

• Excellent Screen
  • Apps are finally easy to find
  • camera rates as well as the Iphone 6S
  • excellent battery life
  • fun to use
  • Google universe is highly integrated

Cons

• camera flash is not as intuitive as I would like to see
  • physical keyboard is tight
  • BB10 is actually a better operating system, except for the integration of apps
  • if you are not used to Android the constant barrage of updates are annoying

FNT.Puck posted on Dec 25, 2015, 11:43 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Dec 25, 2015

Amazing phone...after updates

FNT.Puck has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Purchased this phone through Pre-Order and got the very first shipment. Initial disappointment set in when compared to my Passport...the battery life wasn't as good, the keyboard was cramped, and losing the wide 1:1 screen was a bigger shock then I expected. Hub was laggy, camera focused slowly and didn't like a top of the line 18MP shooter, emails and texts didn't always come through, and the phone would needlessly peg 100% of the CPU and get hot doing simple tasks like browsing the internet. Paltry 2.5-3hrs SOT meant that I had to charge it halfway through the day. "That's normal for Android!" my colleagues would say, but I knew that I shouldnt get the same battery life as their ~2000mAH Androids with a 3410mAH one. I was very close to going back to my faithful Passport, even with its hacked and patched together Play Services that only worked "some-of-the-time" for apps.

I recognized these as all software issues, and patiently waited for the promised first Maintenance update...

This came in two parts for my unlocked unit - first was an OS update on 12/1, which had a bevy of improvements from the camera, to the CPU utilization, and to the overall phone stability. I could now make it through a day of work without charging - albeit barely, averaging out at ~4-4.5hrs SOT - and it did not turn into a nuclear reactor in my hands anymore. I was very happy so far, and when news came of the app updates shortly after I waited patiently.

On 12/14, the Play Store went live with updates...

My unit is fine, but I have heard reports of some with "creaky" backs due to overseas units not having wireless charging, causing a small gap under the removable back. Nice and sturdy phone, feels like a Blackberry should with metal trim and a nice solid feel.
Antenna shows one less bar them my Passport, but it still gets a better db rating and has signal where I used to have none. Point off for the misleading signal meter - if you don't believe me, put it side by side with a signal strength app and compare!
It's a Blackberry! Call quality is amazing.
Blazing fast LTE and AC WiFi support, along with high PPI to make text nice and clear and the ability to scroll webpages with the keyboard and not block the screen. After using the wide Passport though, nothing will beat that format for web browsing.
5.4" QHD screen and front facing speaker make it great for movies, but the speaker is not as loud as other devices from Blackberry or HTC. Louder then iPhone or LG handsets.
While much improved since release, the software still needs some work. Although it was rated as a top-10 Camera by the respected DxOMark, it does not perform as you would expect an OIS 18mp Schneider-Kreuznach to perform.
No noticeable lag, transitions are quick and seemless, can scroll through UI using touchpad keyboard.
Touch enabled Blackberry QWERTY Keyboard that also functions as a track pad, along with Blackberrys Swiftkey co-developed Virtual Keyboard make this an Industry Leading device for text input. What more could you want?!? If I could give it an 11 I would.
Beautiful 5.4" QHD screen, one of the highest PPI devices available at a whopping 540PPI beating out the likes of iPhone 6s+ and the LG V10. Great contrast and colors in a sexy curved display with super tiny bezels makes this one nice looking screen.
Class leading massive 3400mAH battery gives great battery life, but gets a point off for not being removable.

Pros

• Battery life 6hrs+ SOT with huge 3400+mAH battery
  • Amazing touch enabled QWERTY Keyboard
  • DTEK security warns of misbehaving apps - I'm looking at you Groupon, pinging my location 20,498 times in 7 days.
  • Secured bootloader and cryptographic hardware PINs prevent low level OS tampering
  • Blackberry Picture Password is amazing - people can watch you unlock and still not know your password
  • 5.4
  • Super useful Hub groups and lists multiple accounts and notifications in one place
  • Flick Widgets give you quick glances at info without opening an app or clogging homescreens with widgets
  • Supports both PMA and QI forms of wireless charging, Slimport output, microSD up to 2TB

Cons

• Shipped with bug laden intitial OS and Apps
  • $699 is a bit steep for a new player in the Android space
  • Camera is a top-10 unit, but still needs software work.
  • Front facing 2MP is definitely not a Selfie Machine...guess they had to compromise to fit a front facing cam on a slider!

mackayhfx posted on Dec 12, 2015, 5:32 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Dec 12, 2015

Best Of Both Worlds!

mackayhfx has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

BlackBerry nailed it here mixing their legendary keyboard and own suites of apps with Android ecosystem. The hardware quality is top notch, as are the finishes. The high resolution 18mp with Schneider-KREUZNACH lens takes magnificent pictures.

No issues
Very clear audio
Fast
Comes with slot for external storage.
18mp Schneider-KREUZNACH takes amazing shots.
Some apps lag but OS itself is very responsive.
Very user friendly, feels just right.
With BlackBerry's physical keyboard and the on-screen one, its the best of both worls.
Bright and crisp.
Some improvements could be made to squeeze more juice out of the battery.

Pros

• Slider format
  • Great battery life
  • BlackBerry Security

Cons

No Cons

LeonardSpock posted on Nov 19, 2015, 11:03 PM
Posts: 4; Member since: Nov 19, 2015

Mixed Battery Life

LeonardSpock has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Imagine turning on your phone only for it to lose over 20 percent in the initial install. You’d think there was a problem right? In the case of the BlackBerry Priv, this happened to me each of the four times I set the handset up, so it’s definitely something to be wary of. After all, 20 percent in an initial install is certainly excessive.

Since the accidental reset, the battery life has certainly been interesting. It’s too early to report detailed findings of the battery, which is something we’ll look at in the full review but I will say that expectations of more than one day battery life are unrealistic.

As I write this, the handset has drained 17% battery in the 2 hours I have been writing. Furthermore, in the 9 hours it’s been off charge, the Priv has dropped to 25 percent battery which suggests it’ll barely make it through a day. With BlackBerry’s new approach to mobile, there’s no way to remove the battery on the Priv so if you’re a heavy user, a portable battery pack will be a must-have in your bag.

Pros

No Pros

Cons

• Battery drain fast

LeonardSpock alternatives:

JimnyLink posted on Nov 19, 2015, 8:39 PM
Posts: 1; Member since: Nov 19, 2015

No longer the best for email

JimnyLink has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

What used to set BlackBerry apart from the competition? It’s legendary email of course. Unfortunately, this is no longer a strong point for the company and this could be bad news for BlackBerry in its fight to be relevant in the consumer market. As you might have expected, the Priv uses BlackBerry’s antiquated BES servers to handle email and unfortunately, BlackBerry kinda forgot to update these for a modern era. For enterprise customers with the existing infrastructure, the reliance on BES won’t be a problem but for pro users, it’s definitely an issue.

First, you have to configure each email account individually with BlackBerry Hub. That means if you’re like me and you have multiple Gmail or Google Apps accounts that you want to sync – I have a total of 3 – you need to configure them individually in BlackBerry Hub and then add them again in the Android OS if you want to use them with any Google services. Talk about redundant!

Second is how BlackBerry Hub handles Gmail or Google Apps accounts: it uses imap and has to manually fetch email. That means the lovely modern world of push email that we take for granted is no more if you want to use BlackBerry Hub. Of course, you could choose not to configure the email but that would then render the BlackBerry Hub and the Productivity Hub useless.

As an example – yesterday I was having an urgent business conversation via email and in the 15 minutes it took BlackBerry Hub to refresh the inbox – 15 minutes is default but it can be set...

Pros

No Pros

Cons

• Email not good

JimnyLink alternatives:

AhokTheMagnifico posted on Nov 19, 2015, 7:57 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 19, 2015

A disjointed software experience

AhokTheMagnifico has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

BlackBerry have certainly put their own stamp on Android but sadly, they’ve pulled a BlackBerry. There’s a lot to like but there’s also a lot to dislike and the simplest explanation is that some decisions just don’t make sense.

The biggest criticism is how the BlackBerry Hub handles email but it’s worthy of its own section below. Other than this, the BlackBerry software doesn’t quite seem to be completely finished.

Let’s take the curved display as an example: a key selling point of the handset in terms of design, the feature works less often than you might expect. When using the Productivity Hub – which slides in from either the left or the right and offers your calendar, favourite contacts, notifications and tasks at a glance – the data can sometimes vary from the up to date information found in the BlackBerry Hub. Similarly, the battery charging indicator doesn’t seem to always appear on the Edge when the display is switched off and charging and as a key USP, we’d have expected better reliability.

One feature that almost made me give up the Priv immediately is the “Picture Unlock” protection option. Simply put, it asks you to pick a number from 0-9 and then choose where to drag that on a picture to unlock the phone. Sounds complex right? It’s worse than you think – the number appears several times when you want to unlock your phone which makes it virtually impossible and, unless you’ve switched this option off in the settings, it will wipe your phone when you inevitably enter...

Pros

No Pros

Cons

• BB Hub

AhokTheMagnifico alternatives:

SirTomoti posted on Nov 16, 2015, 3:42 AM
Posts: 5; Member since: Nov 16, 2015

Android + Blackberry = Failure

SirTomoti has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I'm very surprised when Blackberry gave up on BB10, and announced they will use Android. I love the idea of Android & secure, that I bought BB priv the minute it goes online.

I must say that I hope too high. This phone is the worst of both world (android & BB). Blackberry made the phone less customable, less rootable. Thus, getting the worst of android.

Not to mention, it still have BB camera quality, that is not good compared to android LG G4 or Galaxy S6 or Xperia Z5.

While I agree with other reviewer here that BB+Android=Awesome (BB become better), but I think Android+BB=Failure (Android become worse).

Pros

No Pros

Cons

• camera have lots of noise
  • slow

SirTomoti alternatives:

Gobanan posted on Nov 13, 2015, 11:21 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 13, 2015

Not as good as BB want me to think

Gobanan has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

First, I must dissagree completely with Zeeya who give a review of 9 (Z3, Q5) or 10 (Z10, Z30, Q10, Passport, Priv) to most BB phone he review here.

While the phone is really in different league compared to BB10 device, I think the phone is still can't compete with the vast majority of android device due to nothing special (if you think security is not a point -- most user did!!).

Quite good
Why blackberry always weak on phone signal?
I hope bb can improve the call quality for once
The SD 808 is FAST enough for internet.
Multimedia is not bb strong point. Lack of movie subtitle, and weak speaker ruin the good screen.
I hope BB just steal SONY or Samsung camera engineer.
As lag as touchwiz.
I give a low rating here because the keyboard is not as good as I hope, and the touch screen is faster for text input.
BEST!!!
The battery is not big enough to reach 1 day of activity.

Pros

• google play store

Cons

• BB bloatware can't be removed
  • the keyboard is not as good as the touch screen keyboard

Gobanan alternatives:

RodaGila posted on Nov 12, 2015, 5:58 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 12, 2015

Still rough

RodaGila has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I was excited when I found out that Blackberry use Android, thus, the apps selection will be good compared to baren amazon app store.

But, it turn out this phone is a RUSH JOB. Perhaps it would be better in 1 or 2 or 3 months after several OS update, but here is my temporary review until Blackberry fix it.

First, in less than 24 hours, I already got 3 hangs!!!!! This phone OS is NOT stable yet.

Second, I know camera is NOT blackberry strong point. But I need to say this: the camera quality looks bad.

Third, the phone FEEL SLOWWWW. VERY SLOWWW. Perhaps after optimization, it will be faster. But as of now. I think this is a rush job, and BB need to address this quickly.

Strong enough, but NOT premium quality
Not as good as I expected. Not as good compared to Galaxy Note 5 with the same carrier.
Not as good as Galaxy Note 5
BB need to improve the speed of this phone.
Not as good as others phone in this price range
Need improvement in quality, and it's hot when recording video.
LAG. LAG. LAG. SLOW. SLOW. SLOW
I wish I can un-install the BB bloatware
good, except the physical keyboard. the physical keyboard is loosing the usefullness because the touch screen keyboard is already beter/faster than the physical keyboard
Good enough
With lots of BB bloatware eating the battery, it need to be 30% bigger. Perhaps BB need to make this phone with no keyboard and bigger battery.

Pros

• google play store

Cons

• lags
  • slow

RodaGila alternatives:

mmmmm127 posted on Nov 08, 2015, 8:49 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 08, 2015

Recommended for serious users; not a toy. Doesn't get much better than this!

mmmmm127 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Centuries posted on Nov 07, 2015, 9:01 AM
Posts: 1; Member since: Oct 25, 2015

I love hanging out with my Blackberry Priv

Centuries has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I bought it on November 6 as it ships to my house, and then unboxed it, and it seems very good, but what amuses me is that it ran Android OS, instead of their own Blackberry OS which they ran most Blackberry devices.

Pros

• Big 18MP Camera
  • Slider keyboard
  • Quad HD display
  • 4K Camera
  • Gorilla Glass 4
  • Dual Flash

Cons

• Poor Aperture
  • Only 2MP Front Facing Camera

Centuries alternatives: