New Chromecast with Google TV dongle takes on Roku with streaming aggregation
Chromecast with Google TV price and features
- Price: $49.99
- 4K HDR streaming
- Android 10 with new Google TV interface
- Streaming apps: Spotify, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu, Peacock, HBO Max, and more.
- Remote control: yes, with two AAA batteries
- Multiple accounts
- Bluetooth pairing and HDMI-CEC support for controlling the TV.
- Colors: White, Pink, Black, Blue
The new Android TV stick with Google TV interface lets you cast your own content - you know, like a regular Chromecast - complete with Google Assistant voice operation. Google hasn't added its Stadia cloud gaming service to the list of entertainment options but you can download it, engrossing you further in its budding media ecosystem.
According to insiders, and you get a dedicated Amlogic media processor, Dolby Vision output on the inside, while on the outside the "oblong shape" of the device has a "sandstone-like texture" that comes in white, pink or black.
What's in the new Google TV interface?
Perhaps the most interesting thing about the new Chromecast dongle is that new Google TV interface that can't be stripped down to its Android TV base completely. Google has taken the wonderful service-agnostic approach, and aggregates entries from various streamers under different categories. In the Action Shows, for instance, you can see both the Mandalorian from Disney+, and Taken from Netflix.