Samsung is looking into its own cloud service, likely to ditch its current provider, Amazon Web Services

Samsung is looking into its own cloud service, likely to ditch its current provider, Amazon Web Services
Samsung has decided upon self-reliance and is trying to substitute its cloud service provider. Samsung’s cloud currently relies 60% on Amazon Web Services, reports SamMobile, while the remaining 40% is outsourced to other providers. The cloud platform supports its smartphones, IoT devices and other products.

Basically, Samsung is planning to first conduct several tests, bringing its cloud infrastructure to some of its departments in order to slowly limit its dependence on Amazon Web Services (AWS), and eventually stop using it altogether.

So, why has Samsung decided to do this? First of all, of course, there are cost-related reasons. According to SamMobile, the company has been paying hundreds of millions of dollars every year for the service. Last year, more than $483 million, for Samsung Electronics alone, was paid to AWS. Additionally, as the number of users grows, the company has to pay even more for cloud computing solutions. If Samsung would rely on its own cloud, reportedly this could save a lot of money for the company.

Secondly, there is the reason for security. The South-Korean-based firm wants to maintain its cloud by itself and thus ensure a secure environment, dependent on Samsung’s own efforts. However, it is not clear which organization will support Samsung’s cloud yet. It’s said that the company may choose Joyent, a cloud service that Samsung bought in 2016, as Amazon Web Services’ replacement.

FEATURED VIDEO

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.
FCC OKs Cingular's purchase of AT&T Wireless