Samsung Galaxy Note 8 S Pen: all new features
by Victor Hristov / Aug 23, 2017, 12:15 PM
The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 comes with an improved S Pen that has a finer tip, better sensitivity and a few neat new software tricks up its sleeve.
Rounding up all the new features of the magical S Pen, Samsung tells users how to take their Note 8 productivity to the next level.
Starting from the Air Command center that is displayed automatically when you pop out the S Pen and going through all the neat little features - including the expanded Screen Off memo - you can learn all about the S Pen in a nutshell in the below infographic by Samsung.
Here are the highlights:
- Air Command: an easy-to-access menu that pops up whenever you take out the S Pen, or when you press the button on the S Pen while you hover over the screen.
- Translate and Convert: hover over text to translate not just individual words, but whole sentences into 71 languages
- Smart Select: use the S Pen to select and share animated GIFs
- Live Message: create and share animated GIF messages with the S Pen
- Magnify: hover the S Pen to take a closer look at something
- Screen off memo: quickly jot down or edit notes pinned to the Always-On display
- Coloring: the Note 8 comes with PENUP, the social network for S Pen-created art, pre-loaded. It features coloring books that are fun
source: Samsung Mobile
- Display 6.3" 1440 x 2960 pixels
- Camera 12 MP / 8 MP front
- Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, Octa-core, 2350 MHz
- Storage 64 GB + microSDXC
- Battery 3300 mAh(22h talk time)
Posts: 203; Member since: Feb 09, 2010
I have the S8 + , and i really want to switch!!
posted on Aug 23, 2017, 12:23 PM 5
Posts: 108; Member since: May 03, 2015
I want Android to have default stylus support.
posted on Aug 23, 2017, 12:28 PM 1
Posts: 1521; Member since: Jul 12, 2016
Thing is the stylus technology here comes from Wacom and requires an additional layer in the screen and added costs. We will probably never see this kind of stylus support added to stock Android. It would be great if at least one manufacturer would bother to add this kind of stylus support to a device they made, so someone could actually compete with the Note.
posted on Aug 24, 2017, 1:22 AM 0
I love these features. All of them are great use of he s-pen. Do you guys think the hovering features are improved since older Note - I found those to create frequent accidental inputs. Darkkjedii, you used many Note phones (I think). Do you see improvements for the hovering features? For the record I didn't have a chance to try it on Note 7.
posted on Aug 23, 2017, 3:17 PM 0
Posts: 30830; Member since: Feb 05, 2011
It looks to be quite a bit improved, but I gotta get it into my hands to be sure. The S-Pen on the Note 7, was nearly perfect.
posted on Aug 23, 2017, 7:14 PM 0
So you know what I'm talking about then? Reminiscent of Note 5 and older, of course. If/when you do get one, find me on here - let me know if it's easier to navigate with s-pen hovering feature. (Screw the trolls and fanboys, you know? Say it how it is) I want to get it when prices drop to much more affordable or wait for a killer deal like BOGO and get one with someone who can afford the payments. I just want this phone so bad now that I've seen the presentation - it's more the way Apple does their phones - pass on gimmicky crap, improve hardware and features we need and already love, and clean up the UI where necessary - sounds perfect for me! Apple is too late to the screen to body ratio game to get my interest back - gotta reward companies that do strive to be first with trends - screen to body ratio was way overdue and LG and Samsung were first!
posted on Aug 23, 2017, 7:47 PM 0
The reason it's important to me is that I really like 3D Touch in iOS and it's features. (I know I sound like a fanboy). Hover for sub-menu in earlier Samsung phones were not so good. This is a bit of a workaround partially for what 3D Touch does in iOS. Also, is there any 3rd party app support for s-pen features?
posted on Aug 24, 2017, 1:53 AM 0
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):