Rumor: Fear of overheating leads Samsung to dump Snapdragon 810 for next flagship

Rumor: Fear of overheating leads Samsung to dump Snapdragon 810 for next flagship
Amid fears that the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 chip is prone to overheating, a rumor has been making the rounds suggesting that Samsung is dropping the chip from use in the Samsung Galaxy S6. According to a report published on Thursday, Samsung will use its own Exynos chip, produced using the 14nm process, as a replacement.

Some familiar with Sammy's intentions, say that at first, 80% to 90% of Samsung Galaxy S6 models will be powered by the Exynos chip while the remaining 10% will use the Snapdragon 810. Then, as Qualcomm fixes the overheating issue, Samsung will raise the percentage of Galaxy S6 units powered by the Snapdragon 810.

The Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 is mass produced by TSMC using its 20nm process. The latter is now expected to start using its 16nm FinFET process in July. With the 14nm Exynos chips expected to be used inside the Samsung Galaxy S6, it suggests that Samsung will start using the 14nm FinFET technology this quarter.

We expect to see the Samsung Galaxy S6 unveiled at MWC in March. The latest rumors say that there will be a version with a unibody metal design and another model with a curved screen. At the same time, a round smartwatch from Samsung is also expected to see the light of day at MWC.

source: DigiTimes

Related phones

Galaxy S6
  • Display 5.1 inches
    2560 x 1440 pixels
  • Camera 16 MP (Single camera)
    5 MP front
  • Hardware Samsung Exynos 7 Octa, 3GB RAM
  • Storage 128GB, not expandable
  • Battery 2550 mAh
  • OS Android 7.0 Nougat
    Samsung TouchWiz UI

FEATURED VIDEO

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.
FCC OKs Cingular's purchase of AT&T Wireless