Pixel XL 2 aka Walleye scores a mention in Android testing by Google engineer
David Zeuthen, a Senior Software Engineer at Google, may be toying around with a Google Pixel XL 2, which we recently learned could be codenamed Walleye. From the AOSP project code postings that revealed to us the eventual internal titles of the next Pixel phones, now comes the thread that you see above, where Mr Zeuthen refers to testing new software, probably part of Android O, on a "walleye" device (nudge, wink).
Google I/O event right around the corner, we could see a preview of all the new niceties that come with the eighth edition of Android, but are unlikely to see the devices themselves just yet. Keeping up with its tradition, Google will apparently continue naming its phones by marine animals internally, as follows:Provided that the deduction is legit, Google is apparently hard at work on the new Pixels already. With the
- 2012 - 4.7-inch Nexus 4 (Mako)
- 2013 - 5-inch Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
- 2014 - 6-inch Nexus 6 (Shamu)
- 2015 - 5.2-inch Nexus 5X (Bullhead), 5.7-inch Nexus 6P (Angler)
- 2016 - 5.1-inch Pixel (Sailfish), 5.5-inch Pixel XL (Marlin)
- 2017 - Pixel 2 (Muskie), Pixel XL 2 (Walleye) and a mysterious Taimen may be in store?