7-year-old swallows AirPod, rushed to hospital

7-year-old swallows AirPod, rushed to hospital
Apple's AirPods sounded like the perfect Christmas gift for a 7-year-old Georgia boy until the youngster accidentally swallowed one and his mom had to rush him to an emergency room.

Kiara Stroud, the mother of the 7-year old, says she never imagined the AirPods would end up in her son's stomach and now wants to warn mothers about the dangers of such a gift to someone of such young age.

"He said he was holding it in his mouth by the long part," Stroud said.

Over at the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Egelston, doctors were confused about the situation, but an X-Ray image detected the metal parts in the AirPod and confirmed that the kid had indeed swallowed the gadget.

The mother recounts the emergency room visit: ‘An AirPod? You know, it’s really unique. I never really heard of this,’ she remembers the doctor saying, adding that the doctor was flabbergasted having never seen anything like this.

The big worry the kid had was how was it going to come out, but doctors reassured the family that the AirPod would pass on its own eventually.

The mother also recounts here 7-year-old saying: 'Mom I don't want my phone, (another Christmas gift) I don't wanna be near my phone, I don't want it to connect to my phone and start playing music.'

 So there you have it, AirPods as awesome as they are might be dangerous in the hands of kids of that age.


FEATURED VIDEO

21 Comments

20. cevon3239

Posts: 155; Member since: Jan 01, 2020

Why would a 7 year old put an earphone in their mouth to begin with?

21. TBomb

Posts: 1749; Member since: Dec 28, 2012

He likes the taste of ear wax

18. bb1rd

Posts: 7; Member since: Jan 12, 2017

curiosity killed the cat

14. cheetah2k

Posts: 2332; Member since: Jan 16, 2011

Not sure digesting it is the best way for removal. If the lithium leaks out that kid is dead.... But seriously, how fkn stupid is that kid! and 7 years old. My kids stopped sucking on random crap at the age of 2...

19. darkkjedii

Posts: 31796; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

They should pump his stomach, cause you’re right about the lithium fluid. That’ll kill him.

23. Brewski

Posts: 739; Member since: Jun 05, 2012

I feel like PA had a missed opportunity here... "Apple's smartwatch saves countless lives, but watch out because Airpods could KILL YOU!!"

13. vgking9699

Posts: 237; Member since: Mar 01, 2019

Pretty dumb to buy any kid a $150 or more gift lol Kids don’t need gifts that cost more than like $50 at most, more like $20-$30 Until they can earn money to buy their own stuff

9. darkkjedii

Posts: 31796; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

Metamucil time.

15. cheetah2k

Posts: 2332; Member since: Jan 16, 2011

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

7. Juneli35

Posts: 4; Member since: Jan 30, 2019

Kids are dumb these days. Too old to put things in your mouth still.

6. tokuzumi

Posts: 2021; Member since: Aug 27, 2009

When I read the headline, I was thinking "why wouldn't the kid just poop it out?" Didn't seem like there would be anything that would cause any type of toxicity to the body. I know the pods have a battery, but it's going to be super small, so nothing would really happen. I guess better safe than sorry, but I'd have just shrugged at the kid and said "you've learned a lesson today"

11. Dr.Phil

Posts: 2564; Member since: Feb 14, 2011

I believe it’s because of the plastic casing of the AirPod that would allow it to pass through the GI tract without causing harm. If it did have the battery exposed or any of the inner metal parts then it probably would be a different scenario. But it’s just like people that swallow plastic baggies of drugs. They just wait for them to poop it out.

16. cheetah2k

Posts: 2332; Member since: Jan 16, 2011

Hopefully that plastic casing withstands 12+ hrs of constant acid attack.. If that lithium leaks, RIP

17. cheetah2k

Posts: 2332; Member since: Jan 16, 2011

Have you seen what a simple CR2032 lithium battery can do? If it gets stuck anywhere in the GI tract, and it leaks.. Could be serious https://www.poison.org/articles/button-batteries

3. midan

Posts: 3261; Member since: Oct 09, 2017

2. Gryffin

Posts: 96; Member since: Dec 19, 2018

so moms in US now need to keep their children away from air pods tide pods and guns

8. Juneli35

Posts: 4; Member since: Jan 30, 2019

They are teaching the kids basics on what not to do. As for Tide pods I think they doing for Money

12. Dr.Phil

Posts: 2564; Member since: Feb 14, 2011

I think more kids swallow Legos than tide pods.

1. JMartin22

Posts: 2422; Member since: Apr 30, 2013

This gives legitimacy to the people that way AirPods are ****

4. phljcnth

Posts: 567; Member since: Apr 30, 2012

Not if the boy did not digest it.

22. audibot

Posts: 689; Member since: Jan 26, 2017

this is how natural selection weeds out the stupid,

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.
FCC OKs Cingular's purchase of AT&T Wireless