Sony to pull out all stops with the Z4, tipster claims: 5.5" QHD, Snapdragon 810, amped speakers and new camera
1. LeBrownJames (Posts: 201; Member since: 17 Mar 2014)
If it's true, it will be an Xperia beast!
9. maverick786us (Posts: 148; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
I think Sony too will follow this methodology to launch a flagship device, followed by gigantic phablet. So this will be rather Sony's flagship phablet.
13. LeBrownJames (Posts: 201; Member since: 17 Mar 2014)
Well maybe. I think they will also release a "mini" Z4 but with a bigger 5" screen, 1080p res.
73. neela_akaash (Posts: 1112; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
I wonder what will be the performance level of z4 compact if it comes with a similar hardware with 720p resolution....
25. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
is there any to keep in the first place?
2. kanagadeepan (Posts: 907; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
With 5.5" screen SONY Xperia Z4, will be having the height of Nexus 6...
4. irbaaz (Posts: 162; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
more bigger than that as it will also have ipXX rating
52. paul4hp (Posts: 14; Member since: 11 Sep 2014)
This is a step in the WRONG direction . The Z3 is already too big, and would be the right size if they shrunk it down to 5.0" screen. They should call this 5.5" thing the "Z4 Ultra" instead. That way we would have the 4.6" Compact, the 5.0 inch normal and the 5.5" Ultra. The existing Ultra is just so impractical that it is no longer a phone.
BIGGER ≠ BETTER. Was Sony's recent mock advertising campaign not also "bigger than better"?
54. paul4hp (Posts: 14; Member since: 11 Sep 2014)
...... No it wasn't "bigger than better", it was "better than bigger", so please stick to the notion.
The "bigger" screen resolution is also stupid you simply don't need that resolution on your phone. Please instead focus on your excellent battery autonomy, as well as colour accuracy by allowing a "colour accurate" profile setting on the software for those of us who want it.
3. NotAGeek (Posts: 279; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
5.5" is just too big for me,they should just stick to 5.2" and eliminate more of the bezel.Also just update the damn UI
87. phantom_six_man (Posts: 82; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
chiil bro,you have alternative,the z4 compact with 4.7 1080p display
5. mawhob2222 (Posts: 219; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
I don't want QHD, I want F-HD or 4k display
6. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
I hope this time sony will get everything right bcoz they are always good in screwing something in their phones... I hope in z4 they will be able to develop proper software algorithm for their camera as well
8. Planterz (Posts: 2012; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I was gonna buy a Nexus 6, but then the price was revealed. If I'm gonna spend that much on a damn phone, it should be something like this Z4.
10. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 724; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
No need for a new camera; the present one is fine. What they need are new algorithms, because the ones they use right now make a mess of the photos...!
18. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
But imagine the combination of the new curved sensor and new algorithms :)
26. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
sony's curved sensors will only make the camera module thinner and address the distortions on the edges. it may improve sensitivity a bit. don't expect too much when it comes to image quality if sony sticks with their current algorithms.
30. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
It will improve sensitivity up to 2 times. And it will allow wider aperture which further improves low light capabilities. And even with current algorithms the results are fantastic.
46. ahomad (Posts: 175; Member since: 15 May 2012)
not just that, it improves sensitivity and the sensor size will be bigger without making the whole camera bigger. You know that the most important thing in any camera is the sensor size, The bigger the size the better everything the camera can do. The rumor says that it will have 2/3 which is way bigger than the current 1/2.3 (two third is way bigger than less than a half)
12. vuyonc (Posts: 987; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
It better come with better battery life and display quality than the Z3. Apply some Note 4 sorcery on the internals and I'm sold.
15. samub (Posts: 34; Member since: 01 Oct 2014)
just put 2/3 inch curved sensor and sd810 ,other specs not matter.
16. Genza (Posts: 537; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
I wonder why people always say that the Z3 camera is not good enough, despite the fact that Z3 can produce better detail than most other cameras.
I know with the auto setting the Z3 tends to produce overexposed photos and videos, but simple manual setting by manually set the EV or even WB you'll get better result.
21. vuyonc (Posts: 987; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
The Z3 is not bad. I'm sure no customers are complaining. We just expected it to be significantly better than other smartphones rather than slightly better or comparable. Maybe their ISPs weren't powerful enough to properly use the camera if the SD800/801's 21MPx limit is any indication.
32. Chuck007 (Posts: 1035; Member since: 02 Mar 2014)
The superior auto is close to IPhone 6 quality. Full res mode captures way more detail (as obvious). Images can look a little dull at times though.
76. Genza (Posts: 537; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
Even in auto the Z3 is still better than iPhone 6 & 6+ at least in terms of details.
62. Odiin (Posts: 340; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
+1, Well said.
@ Genza, Its not customers. Only blind 'i' n 'S' paid media complaining every time n brainwashed fanboys.
77. Genza (Posts: 537; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
Here's what the PA said about the iPhone video stabilization "The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus stand out with their extremely stable videos"
And now lets see the truth.
In their camera comparison the Note 4 & S5 get the best score for details but look at this!
17. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1989; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
if still 20mp then, the new cam should be 20mp on default change ui. too.
19. MPain (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Aug 2014)
so i should not buy z3 fck sony will release z4 after 6 months
23. HomerS (Posts: 168; Member since: 19 Sep 2014)
Z4 will come in March/April 2015. Every other hIgh End Device like Galaxy S6 or One M9 will have QHD, 4GB RAM and S810 CPU.
And in September/October the Note 5 comes with even higher specs, so what is your point?
74. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Nope, keep on dreaming fanboy. No chance in hell. S6/Note 5 will be out by then which the Z5 will be just an incremental update. The z ultra 3, maybe....
70. dimas (Posts: 1896; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
Your timeline is wrong. Z4 comes out in January, Z5 on March, Z6 at May and so on. No more 6-month wait. PA's gonna be flooded with Sony rumors alone all throughout the year.
45. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10434; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Keep dreaming. Sony fails to make a dent in Samsung.
71. dimas (Posts: 1896; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
Year 2010: Samsung fails to make a dent in Nokia. Nobody expected that yes?
79. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3713; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Dumbest thing I've heard. The Note 4 will sell more in its first month than the Z4 will sell in its entire lifetime. Who's really dead? Yeah, shut your mouth.
83. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
If you're saying this is because of the Z4, then you get the award for the joke of the day.
27. Einstein333 (Posts: 58; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Don't go QHD please please please! In practice no one can actually see a difference between full hd and QHD! It's only stupid marketing thing at the cost of battery life!
29. Chuck007 (Posts: 1035; Member since: 02 Mar 2014)
Very nice hope I won't be overly tempted to buy another phone then. Just got my Z3 like a week ago. X)
35. Genersis (Posts: 217; Member since: 29 May 2013)
The amps are a nice addition, other than that, it's nothing unexpected.
I wonder where manufacturers will stop in relation to screen resolution and size.
Seems they're always wanting to better each other in the numbers game.
37. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
King of SPECS!
41. hadi_2012 (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
please sony infrared Do not forget..........
42. SonyPS4 (Posts: 344; Member since: 21 May 2013)
I prefer current size with smaller bezel and keep 1080p for better battery life. Z3 Compact battery is just amazing thanks to 720p screen. I can use it 2-3 days with heavy usage and still have around 15% left
66. dimas (Posts: 1896; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
Agree. When I'm in moderate use, my Z3 compact can last 3 1/2 days or more because it's not QHD. They can test QHD display for their next flagship but it will add more production cost on their part.
44. hortizano (Posts: 289; Member since: 22 May 2013)
OMG...!! Ditching my Z3 RIGHT NOW.. better wait for the NEXT BIG SONY!!
At this rate I'm never going to have a phone more than a week at a time... >=(
Hate Phonearena rumors!!
68. dimas (Posts: 1896; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
Ditch your Z3 3 days from now and Z6 articles will come out. Sony treat their gadgets like Japan making their cars obsolete within 6 months.
47. Tuxedo (Posts: 337; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
This is a good way to kill your current products. But seriously every next generation flagship will include the 810 SOC. Sony can talk all they want, but what they really need to do is bring it on.
69. dimas (Posts: 1896; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
But this is good for consumers because Sony don't instantly pull out their previous models from the market, lowering their cost.