Samsung Galaxy S 4 demo: first phone with Gorilla Glass 3
1. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
haaa when will you switch to aluminum samsung? really fed up with the plastic, the software and the specs are great though.
note : I'm not an apple fanboy, just saying the truth
3. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Maybe Samsung Galaxy S5 will have aluminium.
50. heyhi (Posts: 128; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
aluminum bends and scratch...im saying that because i have a MacBook Pro...easily scratchs and one time, it felt from by bed and the frame around the monitor bent a little...i regreted a lot for not puting a case, that i think is made of Polycarbonate. See the irony?
54. HansP (Posts: 21; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
Yeah, I have seen a few horror examples on youtube of iPhone 5 owners who's been sitting down with their near $1000 phones, just to realise they have bent them.
Don't trust the salesman of a company when they try to sell you a reason to buy their stuff. Aluminium does not equal quality and durability.
4. THE-ONE (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I don't think so they will ever! They seem to love Polycarbonate!
I would prefer Stainless-Steel over aluminium and sapphire glass instead of GC3!
20. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Honestly after toughing both phones in a case i can hardly feel any difference :)
6. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
quite frankly, after touching the iPhone 5, the S3 build quality feels cheap
the iPhone 5 build quality is like a swiss-made watch, the software is a different story though
that said, if someone were to give me the S4, i would receive it with pleasure, don't wanna be a hypocrite
no, they already did with the ativ s, the ativ s should have been the gs3
p.s : not an apple fanboy, don't have any apple products
7. jan25 (Posts: 439; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
I find my iPhone 5 more prone to scratches and dents because of the brushed aluminum. I hardly ever enjoy the premium finish since i have a case on all the time. I am not feeling this S4 but i still think the plastic argument is bit over exagerated.
8. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
how about the htc one ? i don't think the htc one will be as prone as the i5 to scratches
31. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
ur right, anyway i do like the pattern made with the platic haha
15. sid07desai (Posts: 289; Member since: 03 May 2012)
I don't care for specs but I just can't tolerate plastic anymore. Going for XpZ.
28. SleepingOz (unregistered)
You should go for the HTC One then not the XZ.
As XZ also uses a plastic film on the glass surface to make it waterproof. There're many cases reported on XDA where the phone got ruined because the plastic film was damaged of removed.
41. SleepingOz (unregistered)
48. gogowho (Posts: 37; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
that film is not for waterproof . don't misguide.
17. Aeires (unregistered)
Kinda surprised there's no after market backs for Samsung phones. It's really the back that gets complained about, not the material in the front.
51. bja8237 (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Sounds like someone needs to make a metal case for it.
23. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
and what's the truth? if you want aluminium just buy 1 kilo of it or HTC One for those who prefer lightweight phone and scratch and drop downs resistance the polycaronate is the best. The aluminium is NOT good choice
34. GuitarPlayer (Posts: 36; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
No problem with plastic.... Gorilla Glass 3 bla bla bla bla, drop test now!!!! S3 didn´t make good results on drop test
35. nbringer (Posts: 180; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Plastics are just fine. In fact much better than metals. I'd pick plastics anytime on metals. Plastics bends... back! I'd love my car full plastics. Metal cases are an anachronism. Waste.
43. letgomyeggroll (Posts: 138; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
Aluminum is not good for signal. It means that the radios of the phone have to be boosted to get signal and also equals more heat build up. This why IPhone sucks with battery life and phone is warmer. I have the GS3, if you notice you put your fingers on top of the phone, your coverage reduces by half. Now imagine that with aluminum case. I rather have a plastic case rthan heat and less battery life. The plastic case is flexible and just as durable.
44. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
What about lumia 920, it is also made out of polycarbonate, I don´t see anybody bashing about it. It is that SGS4 is not unibody, a unibody will feel better in your hands. Aluminium is not great either, it easily scratches easily and it is not very strong. The best solution according to me is either polycarbonate or carbon fiber or in a near future graphene, but it has to be unibody.
45. saiki4116 (Posts: 374; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
If samsung were to make Unibody, they cant have removable battery...
29. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Same here! Let's hope it performs like the GNOTE II and not like the GSIII.
36. nbringer (Posts: 180; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
It will crack. Tough luck, next time you should be more careful with a 600$ device. -> Same for any device so don't wait for those tests anymore.
5. henrickrw (Posts: 408; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Who cares about aluminum. When you purchase something you must take care of it.
I'm tired of listening to these sick persons that only knows to criticize.
Yes I will buy the S4
49. LonghornTech (Posts: 50; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Its not the aluminum that people want, it's Samsungs plastic that they don't. I don't blame them. I don't want to have to spend more money for a case that will make the texture, design, weight, and size design of my phone irrelevant.
55. HansP (Posts: 21; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
Which people don't? Samsung is the most common phone and smartphone brand. To me, it sounds more like a poor argument for those who never intended to buy a Samsung in the first place.
9. Mube1 (Posts: 153; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Wrost designing wake up samsung wake up,and plz dnt use the word innovation ist and than concern the world's best artist for the next galaxy series, and let me tell u one thing, I wud like to go for htc one just bcoz of ur wrost designing
13. THE-ONE (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I was so hoping it would be one of those concept designs for the S4!
Big let down bye Samsung, it's the S3+ or S3s
24. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
You really don't know what you are talking about? The front look pretty musch the same as the S3 so what it looks great.. The hardware and the software is what makes it. And they are way better.. Not like the fuuny story with the apple phone
30. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Actually it looks better than the GSIII since it has less curves and less bezels, as well.
10. bubbadoes (Posts: 567; Member since: 03 May 2012)
So when the iphone 5 s comes out with only a upgraded processor A7 and fingprint security--we really don't have much bashing to say--since the GS4 is only a slight advantage over the GSIII--bigger battery, camera, and slightly bumped up processor from the already powerful quad core 1.4 exynos in the GSIII. Phone should have been called the GSIII s. Nothing on the GS4 that is not already on the DNA. period!
14. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Samsung eats its own word : "it's the same old thing, how will people now I'm upgrading?"
40. nobelset (Posts: 270; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Mistaking iPhones is a common thing, but mistaking an s4 with an s3 is just stupid. It does look similar, but I find people here exaggerating this a lot.
25. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
you're just misinformed or stupid you just said three of the improvments and like it's nothing hahahah first the battery is 2600mAh whisch is big improvement if you can calculate (or not) it's 25% bigger, second the 0.2 inches bigger display on the same or even smaller dimensions, third full hd with different matrix, forth 5Mpx more and obviously it is XMORE RS sensor which is big improvement, 2GB of ram for international version is 100% improvement, not to mention the processor which is way way faster than the exynos 4412 it's not "sligtly bumped" at all. And the software over all of this is just amazing.. I don't know you're maybe a ship or something like this to not see these things or you don't want to see them. And what the f*ck did you expected 1000' display with quad HD res, 32gb ram, steel body, 2KG weight, 32 core cpu with gtx 690 in it or what? Sammy have done a great job with big improvements The era for the WOW effect is fishinesd for now. For this time almost everything is invented and there is not much to improve so the S4 reached really good levels of innovation
26. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
for people already with S3 it doesn't worth it to upgrade yes.. but tell me a brand that did't do the same.. Iphone with the funny 5 or the next 5s, or HTC One X over HTC One, or Sony's
27. lyndon420 (Posts: 2724; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Take a good look at the HTC One X and the HTC One. Totally different specs, totally different look, and totally different period. I am currently using a One X and right now the only one for me will be the One.
12. THE-ONE (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Looks like a lot of Samsung fans and users was let down by this?
Will they migrate to the Htc One or the Sony Z?
Secessions don't know my self which one to buy....!
32. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
not really,, im satrting to like its design.. :D
all the innovations presented by samsung in s4 were being ignored by the haters just because of its "cheap looking Plastic design"??/
38. voxmarc (Posts: 323; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
no.... i like the design and the inside specs...thin bezel,software features,software updates,nfc etc...so it's S4 for me.
39. voxmarc (Posts: 323; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
yeah...anything made of polycarbonate the generic scientific classification is plastic ( thermoplastic polymers).....so yeah...and so WHAT!
22. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Well i am dreaming of a Plastic phone that looks like Aluminum. Nokia used to make such phones. My communicator is all plastic phone from Nokia but front still looks like metallic ... except for areas where it has worn off due to 6 years of use :)
33. Bardi (Posts: 12; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Well the exact kind of comments were also made when the S III came into being, and yet it was sold by the millions in a couple of months. The exact same thing will also happen to the S IV, 'nuff said..
47. saiki4116 (Posts: 374; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
When GS3 was released, I have seen people say that it looks like Turd. But Design is just not about looks, ergonomics do matter. Even though GS3 has 4.8" screen, still u wont feel it as big phone when u hold it.what I dont like is stupid Glossy Look on the back panel.Even Lumia 920 uses Polycarbonate.Sammy didn't use unibody design because then they can't keep removable battery then. But Sammy can definitely do better than this (they didn't push everything like they did with S2, still a king :D), that's why I am disappointed
52. Bardi (Posts: 12; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Your point is well taken..maybe it has something to do with the fact that the SIV was launched in less than a year after its predecessor.
42. Taters (Posts: 4371; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
One of the features that HTC fans cannot downplay. Yes, tougher glass is more useful than a crappy 4mp camera and boom sound.
Scratch that. All of the following are anything but gimmicks
Gorilla Glass 3
13 mp camera that actually improves on the 8mp one.
Looks like some pure ownage that No Nonsense and his HTC posse will ignore or downplay.
53. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Yes the S4 is made of plastic and looks similar (but slighly better) to the s3! But who cares? Its going to go in a case and you are going to spend over 95% of your time focused on the screen! IMO I think it looks good but doesnt not look great but I still think the s4 is awesome!
* battery efficent and much much more powerful Octa-core!
* FullHD 4.99'' Amoled panel without pentile matrix
*touchscreen with hover and glove support - recoginsing swipe gesture from a good distance (good if you are having your lunch and dont want to grease your phone. Would also be awesome when browsing since menus etc are acessile like on PC and Note 2)
* New sensors (temp/humidity)
* 2 Gb RAM
* faster gpu
* 2600mAh battery
* Tons of new software features and camera features
* I know its not all about megapixels but the camera shots look amazing!
* newer wifi with ac support
* And all this in a smaller, lighter thinner body!
Wake up guys! Dont let the exterior unimpressive plastic fool your logic and reason! This is a mighty good phone! They have no reason to change the design where as the likes of HTC, Sony do as they are not selling like Samsung or apple... btw the S4 presentation on the 14th was lame and silly