Samsung Galaxy Note 3 preview Q&A: We answer
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is one of the fastest Android phones we've come across recently. We did not experience any lag during our testing, nor any overheating issues.
It is too early to give a definite answer to that question. Prototype units, such as the one we tested, are very likely to give us misleading results if benchmarked, which is why we test the batteries on final units only. But if you insist on knowing, it held up pretty well.
The actual formatted space you get on the 32GB Note 3 model is a little under 30GB. Out of that, 5.64GB are occupied by system files , which leaves you with a tad over 24GB for files, photos, music, movies, and apps. Expect about 56GB of user-available space on the 64GB Galaxy Note 3.
Key word here is "feel". The transition animations on the LG G2 are brief and fast, which is why we assume it might give you that impression if you compare the two side by side. In reality, we'd say that both are pretty much equally fast and responsive. As for your second question, the extra gig of RAM is definitely in use by the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. We noticed that the OS would occupy up to 85% of its RAM, and probably more in some instances, which is a good thing, especially for a device optimized for multitasking like the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Switching to apps we had running the previous day was instant as they were still stored in RAM - that counts as a benefit.
It sounds great with a pair of quality headphones, but we have yet to test it thoroughly in that respect. It is worth noting that the Note 3 can play back 192kHz/24bit lossless audio.
We'd say it is better than the glossy finish on other Samsungs in several ways. For starters, little to no fingerprints stick to the leather-like surface on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and it isn't slippery at all. It may be soft-touch plastic, but it does feel similar to leather. The stitching, however, is clearly fake, especially on the white and pink models, but many would need a second look to notice.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 can tell the difference between the S Pen and your fingers. In the S Note app, there's an option to have finger input ignored so that only S Pen taps and strokes would register. We couldn't make it recognize our finger as an eraser, however.
Nope, not out of the box. If your carrier or retailer is willing to give you one for free, however, that's a different story.
Air View is present on the Note 3. We tried it, but it works only with the S Pen. And yes, the Note 3 does have an RGB notification light, just like the one on the Galaxy S4.
Yes, and it works like a charm.
No FM radio app was present on the Galaxy Note 3 we tested. Carrier-specific models, however, might support the feature, but that's just a guess.
We had no troubles using the S Pen comfortably. The button is usually slightly higher than the thumb, but it is easy to reach.
The tip of the S Pen is made of soft rubber-like material, which might lose its accuracy over time if used extensively. In case it wears out, the user can replace its tip with a spare one.
Yes, there are several display modes that affect color saturation. The "Professional Photo" mode is meant to give most realistic results.
Like a giant phone, which the Samsung Galaxy note 3 actually is. It won't get along well with a pair of skinny jeans.
Say hello to the new USB 3.0 connector! That's how it looks, and we know it isn't pretty. But any generic USB 2.0 cable fits in there, too. It is just that you won't be able to get USB 3.0's higher data speeds with it. And yes, S Health is installed.
We'd say the speaker is loud enough, just don't expect it to be as good as the HTC One's. The screen is bright enough to be usable outdoors and it easily outshines the Samsung Galaxy S4.
2. jodeci888 (Posts: 34; Member since: 14 May 2009)
I can't wait !!!!! The phone looks phenomenal.
5. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3521; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Sounds like a TOTAL WIN. I am all in, & my pre-order is just around the corner. Man I can't wait.
6. anleoflippy (Posts: 226; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
I'm curious about the speed of the USB 3.0 on the Note 3 delivers.
11. Nick_T (Posts: 123; Member since: 27 May 2011)
I wanted to test it connected to a PC over USB 3.0, but the software on the phone wasn't cooperating. Will share more on that in the coming days.
23. heyhi (Posts: 118; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
thank you so much for the Q&A
I found a very interesting video about tips and tricks with the Note 3.
Havent seen any video on youtube or wherever like this one.
The videos out there are only about the new s pen features, this one have some cool tricks.
Chek it outhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v
Maybe you've seen or known.
This phone seems awesome.
26. 007akshay (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
sir which version of note 3 is better octa core or snapdragon 800.........plz reply...
28. 007akshay (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
sir n one more think does octa core note 3 support 4k recording
7. decent4u (Posts: 69; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Thank U for answering my Q's
This looks like the "Phablet of the YEAR"
13. Topcat488 (Posts: 1046; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Nice article PA... Wow, this was something different, and a lot of the questions i was wondering myself. (ONE THOUSAND THUMBS UPS)... :)
14. suiadan87 (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Mine is on its way in the mail, shouldn't be too long!! :3
15. snowgator (Posts: 3160; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
My wife loves her Note 1, and she is pumped for this. The Nokia Phablet has a shot, but I am betting Samsung has her for life....
16. DaBigDogg (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
How is the device for actually making calls, ie earpiece volume, and the such?
17. seho0o (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Sep 2013)
i have 2 questions
1- i need to know loudness of speaker in db if you have labs for testing it as it differ with me in my noisy work
2-type of screen protection of note 3 ?
20. gamblor77 (Posts: 52; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Grab yourself one of these bad boys and fuggetaboutit!
w w w.matrixaudio.com/matrix-black.html
(remove those spaces between the W's obviously)
I got one off Groupon for $20 and it was one of the best, most impressive purchases I've ever made...especially for Groupon. My only suggestion is to place the speaker on the mesh bag it came in while playing. It pounds so hard it will jump itself right off the table otherwise ;)
18. seho0o (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Sep 2013)
3 - your previous answers tested on the 2 versions of NOTE 3 3G & 4G OR which version ?
19. GrapeEyes (Posts: 243; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Why doesn't Samsung include dual sim? it can be used for work and pleasure then :)
21. PAPINYC (Posts: 2044; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
What a simply enlightening article: BRAVO, dear boy.
My question, since this has not been addressed:
is the new USB 3.0 port on the Galaxy Note 3 also compatible with the HDMI dock for the Galaxy Note II?
22. GeekMovement (Posts: 1497; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Still, $350 on 2 year contract with Sprint is what will change my mind about purchasing this. Think the LG G2 with the free window case is a much better deal for Sprint customers.
24. shaheer7 (Posts: 15; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
When you will review the new Samsung galaxy note 3 ?? @phonearena..
25. e-mcani (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
akshat29 asks: "does it have air view like S4 ,i mean without using S Pen can we use air view with out fingers. And does it have a led notification light."
actually, it does. i mean it works without using S-Pen like S4. and there is different features between finger and S-Pen. Check this video (beginning: 02:36 or watch whole video :) ) youtube dot com slash watch?v=S2Yr7PvgKQw
27. 007akshay (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
which version of note 3 is better octa core or snapdragon 800..
29. seho0o (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Sep 2013)
wait with me for the benchmark for all versions
30. biagnosis (Posts: 18; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
"Air View is present on the Note 3. We tried it, but it works only with the S Pen. And yes, the Note 3 does have an RGB notification light, just like the one on the Galaxy S4."
- hi Nick T. I saw on a video online that we can also use our finger for the AirView functionality for the Note3. we just have to activate it on the settings or better yet switch it on on the notification toggles that can be found by using 2 finger gesture.
32. Pat75014 (Posts: 5; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
This Notes 3 has all the technology I could dream of today, including 4K 30fps Video Recording,.... and USB3 allowing faster battery recharging..., not mentionning certainly the best Display in the industry today.
....But I saw it in real last Saturday in Paris, and its finish is even more UGLY than its predecessors. No way I can ever buy such a "cheap looking" device ! Just forget it Samsung, sorry, it is ugly !
I'll then certainly buy the Sony Xperia Z1, by default.... unless the rumored version of this Notes3 with new bended / flexible display announced next month as a limited series in Corea only, can solve this Look and Feel issue, and could be made more widely available to Europe very soon in 4Q13 ... But I understand the odds are very limited at this stage.
33. xXxThekinGxXx (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Sep 2013)
look , no one better than you to answer me :)
i wanna know why all unboxing videos of note 3 , they have all the note 3 32Gb , why isn't 64Gb ? , i think 64 is much better right ?
so please for me , when i'm going to buy it , what should i buy ?
excuse me another Q. :S
- now if i buy the LTE version "N5009" , i'm from egypt and we don't have a good 4G network untill now , so does the LTE version have 4G and 3G or only 4G and i can't make any call except in 4G ?
Thank you .. and sorry for my wrong english :D
34. amoodaa (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Sep 2013)
Does the note 3 navigate you when you forget the s pen
35. xXxThekinGxXx (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Sep 2013)
can i ask you please what is the Snapdragon ?
and what's better octacore or quadcore and what's the difference ? :)
36. xXxThekinGxXx (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Sep 2013)
what is the version which work on the middle east USA or UK or another one ?
and when will it be the release of the 64gb ?
37. hwiriya (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Oct 2013)
by default Note 3 eats up RAM up to 1,3-1,4GB, half of it 3GB, which is frustrating. After playing around for a while, i'll have to clean the ram to gain back the ram, otherwise it will starting to lag like an old PC. damn these 3gb are useless so far.
38. niko37 (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
hello sir, i have problem in my SGN3 N9005, whenever i play games 5-10 mins it always getting hotter and hotter (overheating), it's about 36-40C. i dont know what to do, plsss help me how to fix this.
39. gamblor77 (Posts: 52; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
If I had to guess I'd say one of these things:
1) Your power save mode is turned while running games and the lower cpu clock speed is struggling to keep up. While I mention it - NEVER use power save mode. It does nothing but make your phone sluggish and won't save your battery any more than common sense such as using auto brightness or not using gps with a navigation app constantly running.
2) Your battery door isn't 100% sealed so the battery has some wiggle room and heats up easier
3) You have a ton of other apps still open while the game is running
4) You have the screen at full brightness and game is really ram hungry and you're simply stressing the hell out of the processor to the equivalent of running a benchmark steadily for 10 minutes. Although it still heat up within 10 mins regardless and that sounds strange
5) There is something legitimately with the unit and needs to be replaced.
I'm just speculating but hopefully they help point you in the right direction.
40. gamblor77 (Posts: 52; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Damn SwiftKey beta deleting my words.
4)Still shouldn't* heat up within 10 minutes
5) something legitimately wrong* with the unit
While I'm at it, you want to try a simple reboot and if that doesn't work also look through your phone for any apps that may be using a lot of resources without you knowing. I won't want to write a small novel here so I'll leave that up to you to investigate and research how to do.