Apple iPad bought at Walmart turns out to be nothing but notepads
purchased what she thought was an Apple iPad from two men for $180. Inside the box was a bizarre looking chunk of wood painted black with the Apple logo glued to it. That transaction, though, took place on the street while Courtney's Mom purchased the birthday gift at a reputable store.
When Courtney's Mom raced back to Walmart, the manager refused to do anything for her. After more than two hours of discussion, he would not let her get a refund or an exchange and instead, accused the family of concocting an elaborate hoax. The company, though, later went over the manager's head after being contacted by a local television station. The retailer tracked the box and found that the Akers had been ripped off. The retailer will replace the notepads with a real Apple iPad. But how could this happen? Walmart's theory is that someone bought an Apple iPad, took out the tablet, replaced it with the notepads, and resealed it to look like it had never been opened.
It might be a good idea to find out exactly what is in that Apple iPad box you just bought from any retailer before you take it home.
source: KHOU, DailyMail via Gizmodo
11. MeoCao (unregistered)
There are still some people who know better than Apple how to get ridiculously high margin LOL.
50. Finalflash (Posts: 1588; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
I think that is infinity million profit if you consider the person with the ipad 0 for it.
2. samystic (Posts: 189; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
Apple should patent this fraud before other manufacturer 'copies' it
13. ipadnote (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
If those girl open the ipad and got samsung galaxy note instead, Apple will SUE samsung.
24. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7724; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Samsung is Apple's biggest rival?
Samsung's flagship is the Galaxy Note?
Apple loves suing Samsung for anything?
You need a sense of humor.
26. darkkjedii (Posts: 10536; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I have one, but this isn't the article for it. Sometimes seriousness is needed.
32. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
YOUR MOM IS LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
33. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
YOUR MOM IS LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
34. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
What the hell!?!? I meant those 2 comments for 23' not whoever got yhem
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 10536; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
DarkKnight that was very lame. How would they feel if that was their money, and their little girl? I'd b ready to fight, and sue over it.
29. TheDarkKnight (banned) (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
I was talking about patenting the method of cheating customers- that was lame. What wallmart is worth suing. The guy who bought this ipad must bring wallmart down!
4. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
that manger should be fired! no doubt........this is funny as hell but at the same time I WOULD BE PISEED AS HELL!!
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 10536; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Very pissed, I remember when the iPad 2 was sold out. This lady had one sealed, I told her I'd meet her at a safe place cuz she wanted 700 for a 32gig, which was 655 after tax n Vegas. I said cool she's not trying to get an insane profit, but she didn't wanna unseal it just incase I didn't buy, cuz it would appear used. I said look ms. I'm not gonna give u 700$ get home, and there's a hunk of metal in here...I'm screwed, luckily she let me open it and it was an actual iPad 2 but I did make her let me power it up just to b sure. Shocking that this could happen n Walmart though.
5. ajac09 (Posts: 1363; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
only at walmart anyone remember the nintendo DS soap that someone got for christmas a few years ago? or the psp with the gay porn returned on it? lol
6. Jurdiales (Posts: 112; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
This needs a Bad Luck Brian image, hahaha...
8. chiang41 (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
this happen to me b4 I bought a cd-rom from frys after few days I open the box it was a used old cd rom inside, so I believe we should always open the item before you leave the parking lot.
10. Borrie69 (Posts: 22; Member since: 14 Jan 2012)
In the military s**t like this happens all the time, thus why before I leave the Exchange (Be in the Navy, Army, Airforce or Marines) I always check my stuff to make sure i am not ripped off. Also I do it by the door where there is video camera's so if i am ripped off they can check their security feed and see me opening up to being frauded.
12. ilia1986 (unregistered)
That girl should be thankful. Walmart actually gave her something useful instead of what she originally intended to buy! :)
17. lyndon420 (Posts: 1713; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Yeah...if there was a map in there she would have been alright.
40. DeviantDroid (Posts: 51; Member since: 28 Apr 2011)
Would have probly got her where she needed to go better then Apple Map...
22. darkkjedii (Posts: 10536; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
U'd b pissed to find yourself in that situation bro. If u had a child saddened by this, u'd be even more pissed.
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7724; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Once again dark, you need a sense of humor.
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 10536; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Once again I have one, but this isn't the article for it. Sometimes seriousness is needed
31. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
lighten up, your acting like this kid got attacked or something, its not like she's doing that bad for a start she can afford an ipad so why should we feel sorry for her?
this is funny as hell, sure if it happened at xmas bit of a kick in the teeth but it didnt
41. DeviantDroid (Posts: 51; Member since: 28 Apr 2011)
If this happened at Christmas this could have been an even more Epic story!!!
44. darkkjedii (Posts: 10536; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yeah really huh? Xmas has the camera out to capture the moment and voila. BAMMM!!!
28. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
This actually happened at an Apple Store here. Basically, you buy the iPad or iPod, take it home, and remove the Apple product our and replace it with something of similar weight. Shrink wrap the box and take it back to the store. When the specialist sees that the seal isn't broken, they simply put it back on the shelf for sale again. You get your Apple product and your money back and someone else gets a brick or notebook.
37. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
o yea, keep the process going right? smh and put someone else through this hassle right? naaa i think you should just tell them yo ass got ripped off like the women did and hopefully the manager isnt as much of an asshole like the one she faced so you can just get what the hell you paid for!
43. darkkjedii (Posts: 10536; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Man next time I buy something, I'm opening it rite then and there. U, and Jeff got me nervous now lol
30. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Does anyone else see mostly code for the entire article? The source is all code. Also, aren't you suppossed to close a break tag like this, not just write which it says in the code thatis visible in the article?
35. Aeires (unregistered)
First mistake was going to Walmart.
36. ChafedBanana (Posts: 358; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
It serves her right for shopping at Walmart.
39. DeviantDroid (Posts: 51; Member since: 28 Apr 2011)
BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA Thats good stuff!!!! What kind of Processor does that iPad have?
45. roscuthiii (Posts: 1785; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I think the funniest part for me is that Alan called Walmart reputable.
46. DeviantDroid (Posts: 51; Member since: 28 Apr 2011)
Yeah no doubt.... reputable... You have to have a good reputation to be reputable.... Like this comment if you hate having to shop at walmart....
48. alxcsb (Posts: 5; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Mind you, those notepads are more value for money anyway. :D
49. theo14461 (Posts: 157; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Walmart managers suck A$$, they hire Indians, because they know how to save a buck.