According to a report from ABC affiliate WXYZ
, a woman from Detroit was traveling in her car back on May 21st with a Samsung Galaxy S4
and a Samsung Galaxy S8
in a cupholder. Suddenly, she saw a spark coming from one of the two handsets, and it caught fire. She pulled over, but her car was soon completely covered in flames. "I thought I was going to die when I saw the sparks and the fire," said the unnamed victim.
spoke with the Detroit Fire Department, which confirmed the woman's story. Her attorney, Gerald Thurswell, says that the female driver is having trouble sleeping and is left with emotional scares related to the fire. The attorney added, "We’ve contacted Samsung. They’ve been very responsible and sent a crew to examine the car and portions of the phone. Once it’s determined which of the phones and that one is recalled, we’ll probably save lives." So far, no lawsuit has been filed.
"We stand behind the quality and safety of the millions of Samsung phones in the U.S. We are eager to conduct a full investigation of this matter and until we are able to examine all of the evidence, it is impossible to determine the true cause of any incident."-Samsung