Samsung handset explodes and starts a fire that destroys a car (VIDEO)
According to a report from ABC affiliate WXYZ, a woman from Detroit was traveling in her car back on May 21st with a Samsung Galaxy S4 and a Samsung Galaxy S8 in a cupholder. Suddenly, she saw a spark coming from one of the two handsets, and it caught fire. She pulled over, but her car was soon completely covered in flames. "I thought I was going to die when I saw the sparks and the fire," said the unnamed victim.
WXYZ spoke with the Detroit Fire Department, which confirmed the woman's story. Her attorney, Gerald Thurswell, says that the female driver is having trouble sleeping and is left with emotional scares related to the fire. The attorney added, "We’ve contacted Samsung. They’ve been very responsible and sent a crew to examine the car and portions of the phone. Once it’s determined which of the phones and that one is recalled, we’ll probably save lives." So far, no lawsuit has been filed.
You might remember that Samsung had a problem when several Galaxy Note 7 units started exploding a couple of years ago. An issue with the battery used on the Note 7 was found to be the cause of this dangerous problem that forced Samsung to recall the phone twice and finally take the device off the market.