Samsung Gear S3 gets Tizen 3.0 with many major features in massive update
by Plamen Dimitrov / Nov 20, 2017, 8:35 AM
Well, folks, it has happened! After making its debut on the Gear Sport, Tizen 3.0 is finally arriving on the Gear S3. Today, Samsung officially announced that the latest version of its proprietary OS for wearables is available through a new "Value Pack" update.
Weighing in at 258.5MB, the patch brings a plethora of new functionalities. The list below covers most of the major changes:
- Optimized UI with new functionalities for the rotating bezel.
- Nutrition management feature. Add calorie intake and compare calorie balance with your daily goal.
- Watch only mode – turns Gear S3 into a regular watch that shows the time only. Can increase battery life by up to 40 days.
- Multi-workouts widget allows for quick access to different workouts.
- Apps shortcuts widget allows for quick access to up to 4 different apps.
- Swipe up or down from any screen to open up Moment bar (quick toggles screen).
- Send SOS requests now include altitude for more accurate tracking.
- Improved accuracy of heart rate monitoring.
- Samsung Connect – monitor and manage smart (IoT) devices straight from the Gear S3 (additional app download required).
- Gear VR controller – allows control of Gear VR with the Gear S3 (additional app download required).
- PPT controller – can manage PowerPoint presentations with the Gear S3 (additional app download required).
- Browsing for new watch faces is now easier. Watch face sharing function also added.
- Contacts and Calendar – Create and edit contacts and events from the Gear S3.
- Viewing and editing checklists on the Gear S3.
- Added an option to customize the location of apps and sort them in the order in which they were most recently used.
- Design of Samsung Gear app has been updated.
- Updated Samsung Health app.
- Support for Bixby Reminder. Galaxy S8, S8+ and Note 8 owners can get reminders on the Gear S3.
- Ringtone – set music saved on the Gear S3 as your ringtone.
If you want to download the update, head to the Samsung Gear phone app. Once inside, go to the About Gear menu under Settings. Keep in mind that this is a major update that will take some time to install, so make sure to charge your smartwatch before proceeding.
Posts: 411; Member since: Oct 10, 2017
The best smartwatch OS got better ...
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 8:38 AM 20
Posts: 30783; Member since: Feb 05, 2011
Mine has been working like absolute crap since it’s last update. Calorie counting, pedometer, lag issues, heart rate monitor. Hella issues now.
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 9:49 AM 1
Posts: 437; Member since: Oct 04, 2014
In their attempt at making the watch a "Jack of all trades...Master of none...," It seems the fitness features are heavily lacking in their ability to provide accurate info. I run at least 4 days a week and, when I'd tested my watch out during the initial launch week of the device, I found it to be so finicky that I'd just turned it off for days until the updates started rolling in. In the end, I realized that I shouldn't have tried to make Samsung my everything for all-things electronic. You'd be better of getting a dedicated; more accurate device, like Garmin, Polar, or maybe even Suunto.
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 4:48 PM 1
Posts: 23; Member since: Sep 15, 2016
I am not going to lie. I never thought I was going to like any of the smart watches. I had an apple watch when I had my 7 plus. then got my note 8 cuz you figured... why not having a bigger screen on a phone that's slightly taller than a 7 plus and a bit narrow to use with one hand. Then I ended up getting the gear s3. and I am very happy with my decisions I have made. Amazing screen on the watch and the size of it. Looks like a real watch on my wrist. Not like the apple watch... and unlike the apple watch... I actually use Samsung pay on my gear s3. Battery life is amazing, almost 2-3 days no charge including having always on display. I honestly may never consider an iPhone or apple watch anymore!
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 10:39 AM 7
Posts: 5; Member since: Oct 04, 2016
update caused my heart rate monitor to stop working and my steps keep getting reset every few minutes. taking twice as long to charge too. watch was working fantastic before this update. hoping for a follow up update from samsung
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 10:49 AM 0
Posts: 3; Member since: Nov 20, 2017
Nothing here on my Verizon Wireless Gear S3 Frontier. Could they be rolling this out to the non-phone versions of the S3 first?
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 11:30 AM 1
Posts: 21; Member since: Jun 09, 2017
I own this watch and what's regrettable is that there's no way to sync music playlists to the watch. That's a big deal if you use the watch for fitness. You can transfer your songs over, but no playlist ability. You could use Spotify, but you need a "Premiere" membership (which costs $9.99 per month) to do this. No such issue with the Apple Watch or even a far less expensive TomTom. To me, this seems like a big oversight, and I'm sorry to see it wasn't fixed/added in the latest update.
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 3:12 PM 1
Posts: 18; Member since: May 17, 2014
Ryan I agree about the music issue. There are 2 reasons I went to an iPhone, 1 my whole family is on IOS so I can FaceTime with everyone. Second, I can stream my Apple music at the gym without my phone. So worth it. I know I can use Google duo for video calling but that had its issues too. I'd call and it wouldn't ring on the other end. Note 8 was a beast but talking to my daughter that's a freshman in college and my 11 year old daughter texting me from her iPad in the morning before she goes to school is priceless.
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 3:37 PM 2
Posts: 1; Member since: Nov 20, 2017
Hmm... Nothing on mine yet. Running pixel XL and S3 frontier
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 4:19 PM 1
Posts: 3938; Member since: Oct 03, 2015
Is the frontier worth it?
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 6:45 PM 1
Posts: 3938; Member since: Oct 03, 2015
Are you going to give the frontier another try when it gets the new update? I think the Apple watch is a good smartwatch but I really dislike how it looks so I won't get one until Apple starts offering one with a different design.
posted on Nov 20, 2017, 8:56 PM 0
Posts: 88; Member since: Oct 27, 2017
Looks good but feels cheap and I don't like os interface. Going back to apple watch.
posted on Nov 21, 2017, 6:48 AM 0
Posts: 1985; Member since: May 26, 2011
what in the world? Did you just say the Gear S3's feel cheap and suggest apple watch as a replacement
posted on Nov 21, 2017, 9:48 AM 2
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):