Samsung Galaxy S6 active is announced, rugged high-end Android phone available only at AT&T
Well, it wasn't exactly the best-kept secret in recent history, but this doesn't make it any less awesome of a smartphone. AT&T has finally confirmed the existence of the Samsung Galaxy S6 active, which, as expected, is a rugged version of the Samsung Galaxy S6. And it is going to be available exclusively via AT&T at a premium price, but more on that later.
How tough is it, you ask? Well, the Samsung Galaxy S6 active is designed to meet military standards for drops onto hard surfaces. Also, it is protected against dust ingress and can withstand a dunk in water at up to 1.5 meters for half an hour, as indicated by its IP68 rating. This should be enough for the S6 active to endure more torture that a typical phone should be subjected to in its lifetime. Plus, the physical buttons below the screen are well raised to make them easily operable even while wearing gloves.
The Samsung Galaxy S6 active in Camo White
It gets even better when you take a look under the phone's hood. The Samsung Galaxy S6 active comes with an octa-core 64-bit processor, most likely the Samsung Exynos 7 Octa 7420, which is a great performer. The built-in storage space stands at 32GB, however, and there don't seem to be 64- or 128-gigabyte versions of the handset. A microSD card slot isn't available, in case you're wondering.
In the camera department, the Samsung Galaxy S6 active shines with a 16MP main camera, presumably the same great shooter found on the Galaxy S6. If that's the case, you can rest assured that Samsung's rugged handset will snap excellent photos. Similar results are expected from the S6 active's 5MP front-facing camera with wide-angle optics.
While the hardware specs of the Galaxy S6 active are mostly identical to those of the Galaxy S6, there's one key factor that sets them apart – battery capacity. Inside the Galaxy S6 active is fitted a 3500mAh battery, which holds almost 1000mAh more charge. On top of that, you may charge the smartphone wirelessly with a compatible charger, available for $25 from AT&T when bundled with the S6 active. On the downside, the battery cell is not user-replaceable.
And on the software side of things, the Samsung Galaxy S6 active ships with Android 5.0.2 out of the box. Naturally, Samsung's latest TouchWiz UI will be layered on top, along with a handful of goodies oriented towards adventurous individuals. The Activity Zone is a pack of apps meant to aid you during outdoor activities and includes a compass, flashlight, stopwatch, and more.
The Samsung Galaxy S6 active will be available on June 12 in three colors – Camo White, Camo Blue, or Gray. Qualified customers can grab one for $0 down on AT&T Next 24 with 30 device payments of $23.17.
Best in Class Galaxy S6 Rugged Smartphone Available for $0 Down on the Nation’s Most Reliable 4G LTE Network
DALLAS, June 8, 2015 – For the third summer in a row, AT&T is bringing its customers the toughest and most advanced member of the Galaxy S family. The Samsung Galaxy S6 active – available only at AT&T – is designed with your active lifestyle in mind. It gives you the durability you want while boasting a sleek, lightweight design and all of the innovation the Galaxy S 6 has to offer. Beginning on June 12, you can purchase the Galaxy S6 active on www.att.com/galaxys6active or at AT&T stores in Camo White, Camo Blue, or Gray.
Galaxy S6 active Pricing
Qualified customers can purchase the Samsung Galaxy S6 active for $0 down on AT&T Next for $23.17 with 30 device payments on Next 24, $28.96 per month at 24 payments on Next 18, or $34.75 per month at 20 payments on Next 12.
Galaxy S6 active Promotions
For a limited time, customers can also enjoy a pair of deals when they purchase the Galaxy S6 active:
- Get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 for free with a two year agreement.
- The Samsung Wireless Charging Pad is available for 50 percent off with the purchase of the smartphone with Next or a two year agreement
Galaxy S6 active Features
Built to withstand whatever everyday life throws its way, the Samsung Galaxy S 6 active has IP68 certified casing that is water resistant up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes, shock resistant, and dust proof. Whether you’re at the office working or outside exploring, the device’s high-power performance and innovation keep you connected, productive and entertained. Additional key features include:
- Display: The Galaxy S6 active has a 5.1-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED® display with 577ppi that automatically adapts to the content you’re viewing – even outdoors.
- Camera: With a double-tap of the home button, the 16MP rear-facing and 5MP front-facing cameras launch faster than ever. Auto-Real time High Dynamic Range (HDR) captures clever shots in virtually any light, and the front camera’s wide-angle lens allows you to take epic selfies.
- Operating System: Android™ 5.0.2 (Lollipop).
- Processor: The Samsung Galaxy S6 active comes with Octa-core 64-bit processor, Samsung’s fastest and most powerful processor in a smartphone.
- Storage: 32GB of internal memory
- Voice Calling: HD Voice capable.
- Battery Life: The Samsung Galaxy S6 active features a 3500mAh and embedded wireless charging technology that works with most wireless charging pads on the market, so there’s no more looking for a cord or place to plug in.
- Outdoor Features: Activity Zone is the ideal companion for outdoor adventures, and includes a quick launching compass, flashlight, stopwatch, and more.
- Business Ready: Samsung KNOX provides security and protection right out of the box, along with support for MDM partners, making device management easy for IT administrators.