Samsung Galaxy S III that injured 18 year old girl exploded due to third party battery

Samsung Galaxy S III that injured 18 year old girl exploded due to third party battery
Remember 18 year-old Fanny Schlatter? She is the Swiss teen who suffered severe burns as a result of a Samsung Galaxy S III that exploded in her pocket. You might recall that she was at her place of employment at the time, and that she had to have her pants cut to prevent further damage. As a result of the blast, Schlatter suffered third degree burns to her thigh, which we showed you in a particularly gruesome photograph. The phone itself had been melted beyond recognition.


A report released on Friday by the EMPA Materials Science and Technology confirms a separate study done by Samsung and both reach the same conclusion. A third party battery that was not authorized by Samsung was responsible for the explosion and the subsequent damage. Not only does this absolve the Korean based manufacturer of any responsibility, it also means that if you stick with the the stock cell or an authorized replacement, you shouldn't live in constant fear that your Samsung Galaxy S III will blow up.


source: LeMatin (translated), SammyHub via GSMArena

Related phones

Galaxy S III
  • Display 4.8 inches
    1280 x 720 pixels
  • Camera 8 MP (Single camera)
    1.9 MP front
  • Hardware Samsung Exynos 4 Quad
    1GB RAM
  • Storage 32GB, microSDXC
  • Battery 2100 mAh
  • OS Android 4.3
    Samsung TouchWiz UI

FEATURED VIDEO

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.
FCC OKs Cingular's purchase of AT&T Wireless