Remember Nokia's Z Launcher
, which recently launched as an open beta on Google Play and graces the interface of the Nokia N1
tablet? The streamlined launcher was among the more innovative that we've seen of recent - all in all, you get a single home screen with a clock widget, a short list of your recently-used apps, and a regular dock at the bottom of the screen. The main selling point of this home screen replacement is that you can search through your apps by writing their names directly on your home screen.
At first, the contextual app was devoid of any customization features whatsoever, but this doesn't seem to be an issue anymore - the latest update for Z Launcher brought icon pack support, one of the fundamental customization aspects of all most popular Android launchers. But changing the icon pack is not the sole new functionality - Nokia has also improved the long-press functionality, which now allows you to uninstall or hide an app more easily. Here follows the full changelog:
- Preliminary support for icon packs
- Long press on text - you can uninstall or hide app app from the ranked list, in addition to existing long-press behavior such as long-pressing the icon to drag it to the favorites bar
- UI improvements for a wide range of Android devices
- Improved design and performance of carousel widgets
- Improved Scribble handwriting recognition
- Play store icon will load Play store without pre-searched text (We heard you on this one!)
- Bug fixes
Yet, you still can't rearrange the existing dock icons. Maybe in the next update, Nokia?
Download: Z Launcher Beta (Android
Z Launcher Beta updated with many UI improvements