How to restore full audio codec support (AC3, DTS) in MX Player, Android's best video playback app
posted by Daniel P. / Jan 06, 2015, 10:24 AM
We are talking AC3, MLP, DTS or Dolby here, which usually means that if you load a high-res, high-quality container with your favorite TV series, you might be unpleasantly surprised that the sound won't play mid-air, when you don't have access to the Play Store to get an alternative like VLC or KMPlayer.
ktsamy:Moreover, why would you have to give up the amazing MX Player for such a small nuisance? The thing is, you don't, and here is what you have to do to restore full audio codec support with MX Player on your Android device, courtesy of XDA-Dev senior member
1. Download the AIO 1.7.32 codec package zip, and transfer it to default Downloads folder on your Android phone or tablet. This all-in-one package contains the codec versions for hardware decoders there are - Arm v7-Neon, Arm v7-Tegra3, Arm v7-Tegra2, Arm v6 VFP, Arm v6, Arm v5TE, x86, MIPS - preventing you from trying to determine which one you have on your gear;
2. Fire up MX Player, and go to Settings>Decoder>Custom codec (scroll to the end of the list for that one);
3. Point the basic file browser to the aio.1.7.32 zip file you just placed in the Downloads or another folder of choice;
4. The MX Player will automatically pick the right codec for your device, and restart itself to finish the process;
5. If you want to check if the codec pack has definitely been set as default, go to the three context menu dots up right, choose Help>About, and you should see it reading "Custom codec 1.7.32" - this way you will know that the right codec has been installed properly for sure. If for some reason sound doesn't play, check the Settings>Decoder options, and set it to "Use H/W+ decoder" or "H/W+ audio on S/W video," if you have set software video decoding previously for some reason;
6. That's it, you can now play any video file with sound on your beloved MX Player. Enjoy.
source: ktsamy (XDA-Devs)
Posts: 2964; Member since: Oct 08, 2012
http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-custom-codec-dts-support-t2156254 Bookmark it :) MX Player + DTS codec works perfectly.
posted on Jan 06, 2015, 10:33 AM 3
Posts: 17; Member since: Jul 07, 2014
I used to enjoy watching movies on my tablet but since I "upgraded" from my Nexus 7 2013 to the Galaxy tab pro 8.4 it's been a nightmare. Almost none of my movies or series will play. I have tried different players, tried a custom ROM, converted the movies before I transfer them to the tablet and nothing works. I have even followed these instructions before and they did not work. It only says format not supported or something like that. I'm so dissapointed. :(
posted on Jan 06, 2015, 10:44 AM 0
Posts: 6794; Member since: Mar 29, 2012
I have this problem once with my Galaxy Tab S 8.4, no movie files no matter what format will play. I know something is up. I reboot the device and everything is back to normal. It only happen once, so if yours happen every time I think it could be hardware issue.
posted on Jan 06, 2015, 5:57 PM 1
Posts: 1; Member since: Mar 15, 2015
Thanks a lot. Finally! I have no luck with Kodi - playback slow, i have tried a lot of versions... MX player dts output now works fine - just right output sound device must be selected. It automaticly detected custom codec on start :) nice job
posted on Mar 15, 2015, 2:09 PM 0
Posts: 1; Member since: Mar 26, 2015
dude really thankful...i like mx player but due to ac3 format issue i got frustrated but with the help of these codecs the problem solved...I have tried by downloading lots of codecs but they didn't work at all...at last i tried this and it is working fine......thanks a lot...thanks....
posted on Mar 26, 2015, 1:27 PM 0
Posts: 1; Member since: May 12, 2015
downloaded and installed as suggested. But the MX Player on my Huawei Honor Holly does not play properly. HD Video (AC3) stucks waits for a while and then plays again.. it happens for couple of times and the video crashes.. Suggestions? Plz help?
posted on May 12, 2015, 2:39 AM 0
Posts: 1; Member since: Sep 15, 2015
If ANYONE says it doesn't work, YOU'RE WRONG, THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO COPY AND PASTE = PLACE+ TRANSFER THE FILE TO YOUR DEVICE "DEFAULT" DOWNLOAD FOLDER. THE ZIP FILE AS IS. MXPLAYER WILL DO THE REST OR FOLLOW THE EXACT INSTRUCTIONS. Disclaimer, I have MX Player PRO and it's WELL WORTH THE MONEY, I UNINSTALLED ALL OTHER PLAYERS CAUSE EVERYTHING PLAYS WITH MXPRO. I DON'T WORK FOR THE COMPANY EITHER...
posted on Sep 15, 2015, 6:39 PM 0
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):