Google blocks launch of Android phones in China

Google blocks launch of Android phones in China
Just how open is an open source OS when it can be blocked from usage? Held hostage because of the fight between China and Google, the latter company is blocking the launch of Android phones in China. "The launch we have been working on with China Unicom has been postponed," a Google spokesman said. Most manufacturers have been surprised by Google's action. Two Android handsets were supposed to launch Wednesday. Google last week said it was targeted in a cyberattack that originated in China. The attacks were aimed at the e-mail of human rights activists. Google, as a result, said it would no longer censor search engine results in China, even if that means shutting down in the country. The Chinese government said that Google and other foreign firms must obey the country's laws and traditions. The two Android handsets affected by Google's decision are made by Motorola and Samsung.

source: BBC

FEATURED VIDEO

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.
FCC OKs Cingular's purchase of AT&T Wireless