For the first time ever Android Developer Preview available for a non-Nexus device: Xperia Z3 owners can try N now!
Now, for the first time ever, an Android Developer Preview has been made available for a non-Nexus smartphone. It seems Sony has worked in partnership with Google and made a build available for the Sony Xperia Z3 (variants D6603 and D6653). And, thanks to the Xperia Companion PC software, installing it is a pretty simple task. Just remember to back up all your data, as the ordeal involves a full system re-flash!
Android N brings about the new Vulkan 3D rendering API (Google's response to Apple's Metal API for better 3D graphics), better usage of Doze to save more battery, Multi-window, bundled notifications, some different UI animations, and other tiny changes. Here's how to install it on your Xperia Z3:
- Connect your compatible Z3 device to a computer with a USB cable.
- Xperia Companion will open automatically
- Make sure you have Xperia Companion version 1.1.24 or later. If not, download the latest version from here.
- Hold down the ALT key on your computer and click on Software repair on the home screen, then follow the guide.
- You’ll be asked to disconnect and turn off your device, then to reconnect whilst holding down the volume down key to start the software flashing.
- You can return to factory settings at any time by connecting back to Xperia Companion and following the Software repair
Download the latest Xperia Companion