Apple and Samsung now account for 99% of mobile profits

Apple and Samsung now account for 99% of mobile profits
Apple, Samsung and HTC are now the only three profitable companies in the mobile industry. Not just that, Apple and Samsung together combined to grab 99% of all mobile profits. HTC got the remaining approximately 1%, according to analyst Horace Dediu of Asymco.

The most notable change is the fact that Apple’s operating profit share dropped expectedly in Q3 2012 to 60%, but as the company launched the iPhone 5 late in the quarter, we expect this to improve slightly in Q4.

Samsung on the other hand grew tremendously with strong sales of its Galaxy smartphone series and grabbed 39% of the market’s profits. HTC got approximately 1%.

Interestingly, Dediu claims no other companies were profitable, but we do know that LG was one company that reported a very tiny profit, but still profit. It might be a fraction of the percentage but it’s still there. Still, Apple and Samsung’s grip on profits seems to be increasing.

source: Asymco



1. TheLibertine

Posts: 484; Member since: Jan 15, 2012

F*cking monopolists :(.

17. PhoneAddiction

Posts: 79; Member since: Nov 07, 2012

Or duopoly :-/

2. blackspot

Posts: 102; Member since: Nov 14, 2012

One word: Marketing

18. Nathan_ingx

Posts: 4769; Member since: Mar 07, 2012

And Apple is still hunting for more... (via legal battle)...of course, they have no other option.

3. wendygarett unregistered

Here's another 3 month paycheck for you Apple :)

4. PapaSmurf

Posts: 10457; Member since: May 14, 2012

Smh Wendy...

6. wendygarett unregistered

Smh vertically? Lol :)

11. Nathan_ingx

Posts: 4769; Member since: Mar 07, 2012

Gave you a thumb up for the joke, not for what you meant!!

14. wendygarett unregistered

Thanks :) and here's yours for not angry with me

5. rabih_z

Posts: 45; Member since: Nov 02, 2012

Nokia should make a comeback or this market will get boring very soon

9. gothicheart

Posts: 83; Member since: Oct 17, 2012

they did. that's Q3 report, nokia Lumia comes in Q4

7. darkkjedii

Posts: 31039; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

Htc better step it up

10. wendygarett unregistered

Tell that to moto lol...

13. darkkjedii

Posts: 31039; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

Exactly lol

8. shuaibhere

Posts: 1986; Member since: Jul 07, 2012

what about huwaei?????

12. exynos5

Posts: 21; Member since: Aug 17, 2012 i thought htc is under losses...

19. darkskoliro

Posts: 1092; Member since: May 07, 2012

same im really confused now. how can they have profits...

15. VZWuser76

Posts: 4974; Member since: Mar 04, 2010

Something to remember is profitability is not about how many units are sold, but how much the company makes on each unit. So going by that it says that Apple makes more on each device than other manufacturers. So a company could sell 5 million units and make $10 profit on each unit ($50 million profit), while another could sell 2.5 million units and make $30 on each unit ($75 million profit). In that case the second company is selling half as many units, but is 1.5 times more profitable than the first. If both devices are essentially the same, you're wasting money on the second company. I'm not saying that it's not worth it for someone to go with the second company. If the product from the first company just won't work for them, then it's worth it for them to go with company #2, but they're gonna pay extra for it. The problem I have with Apple in this case however is they have the least R&D, but the highest profit margin. So they make more money off of their customers than other companies. But then when they go into court to see what they have to pay for using other companies' tech, they try to force them to settle for less than what they'd charge if they were in the same position, irregardless of how important either company's patents are. They want exhorbitant money for their work and balk at paying a fair price for other's work. Even if I hadn't had issues with Apple in the past, I don't think I could justify supporting a company who does that. But that's just me.

16. kshell1

Posts: 1143; Member since: Oct 05, 2011

well RIM is still just as deep in the Shi*ter as it has been

20. downphoenix

Posts: 3165; Member since: Jun 19, 2010

Not exactly. If you read the graph correctly, you'd see they only started getting operating losses in Q1 2012, they were profitable the whole time prior to that, and many of the quarters had larger profits than they've had it losses for the 2012 quarters. Over the period of time in tis

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit for samples and additional information.