Little known iOS 13 feature will prevent Apple from throttling iPhones in the future

Little known iOS 13 feature will prevent Apple from throttling iPhones in the future
Now that Apple iPhone users aren't automatically upgrading to the latest model every year or two, the longevity of the phone's battery is more important than ever. You might recall 2017's Batterygate. Apple's iPhone Battery and Performance website points out that battery life is the amount of time a device has left to run before it needs to be charged. The battery's lifespan is the amount of time it has left before needing to be replaced. Batterygate was about the latter.

It turned out that in 2016 and early 2017, certain iPhone models (the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus) were shutting down whenever the phone was called on to handle a complex task. Apple responded by pushing out iOS 10.2.1, and while that stopped the phones from crashing, it allowed Apple to throttle the performance of the affected models. The company said that it had to do this because the batteries on the devices could not support certain tasks that required plenty of processing power. Apple subsequently offered a discounted battery replacement program that changed approximately 11 million iPhone batteries last year.

Apple has reportedly addressed the issue of battery longevity in iOS 13. CNBC reports today that iOS 13, which Apple unveiled last week, has a feature called Optimized Battery Charging. First, you need to understand that the lithium-ion batteries employed by Apple will quickly power up to 80% of a full charge. The remaining 20% uses a "trickle charge" that "eases the electrical current to extend battery lifespan." However, if you keep the phone plugged in even after the battery hits 100%, it will continue to trickle charge to keep the battery topped off. This can shorten the lifespan of the battery.

Optimized Battery Charging will keep the battery's lifespan from dropping


In iOS 13, Optimized Battery Charging uses machine learning so that the iPhone can remember your daily charging pattern. Knowing that you like to unplug the phone from the charger at 7 am, it will quickly replenish 80% of the iPhone's battery when you plug it in and save the remaining 20% trickle charge to coincide with your usual 7 am "unplug." By not keeping the battery charging after it is fully powered up, the battery won't suffer a drop in its expected lifespan. Apple explains Optimized Battery Charging by saying that "A new option helps slow the rate of battery aging by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged. iPhone uses on-device machine learning to understand your daily charging routine so it can wait to finish charging past 80% until you need to use it."



Those who have installed the iOS 13 developer preview will find the new feature turned on by default under "battery settings." This seems to be a pretty clear indication that Optimized Battery Charging will be on by default when the final version of iOS 13 is disseminated in September. And that is a good thing as far as Apple is concerned; after all, the company doesn't want to be forced to throttle the performance of the 2017 and 2018 iPhones because the batteries inside of them are no longer able to power complex tasks.

FEATURED VIDEO

12 Comments

1. Feanor

Posts: 1365; Member since: Jun 20, 2012

Sony has been doing this for how long...?

2. baldilocks

Posts: 1505; Member since: Dec 14, 2008

Who?!?

4. libra89

Posts: 2279; Member since: Apr 15, 2016

Exactly.

8. lyndon420

Posts: 6777; Member since: Jul 11, 2012

Sony is using machine learning??

10. Feanor

Posts: 1365; Member since: Jun 20, 2012

Sony Is using machine learning. Why so surprised? The feature works exactly as described here. You start charging the phone overnight and after a few days the device informs you that it has detected a charging habit and asks you to confirm if you want to switch to smart charging.

3. oldskool50

Posts: 1495; Member since: Mar 29, 2019

They are doing everything, except just using better quality batteries. Apple continues with their deceptive BS. Just buy better batteries. Instead of using Every-Ready, use Duracell. I mean k owing they are using cheap Chinese batteries, where when the phone needed more power the cheap batteries could not supply it, then they made you pay for the repair which was more money in their pocket. Yet the fans here try to defend everything Apple does. What a bunch of sorry saps.

5. AmashAziz

Posts: 2919; Member since: Jun 30, 2014

Is this sarcasm?

7. matistight

Posts: 986; Member since: May 13, 2009

"Instead of using Every-Ready, use Duracell." LOL they don't make phone batteries, they have other companies make them. Do some research.

9. Dr.Phil

Posts: 2352; Member since: Feb 14, 2011

I don’t know if you were aware, but Apple has placed orders with Amperex to make the batteries for the next iPhone. Amperex is the same company Samsung tapped to make batteries for the Note 7 after their own batteries started exploding. So if Samsung trusted them for their Note series, they must be pretty good.

11. Mike88

Posts: 385; Member since: Mar 05, 2019

I think they should really use better batteries but I'll also recommend everyone to get their battery replaced after two years for good performance of device. It's normal for batteries to lose capacity over time... For such a great device some battery maintenance cost after two years is not a big deal.. Apple should even provide discounts for normal battery replacement after two years

6. Back_from_beyond

Posts: 1418; Member since: Sep 04, 2015

While this charging thing is nice and all, the throttling issues that occurred had nothing at all to do with the charging, but rather the power demands being too high under peak performance and damaging the battery cells.

12. japkoslav

Posts: 1505; Member since: Feb 19, 2017

That is what you get for not using QC and other methods. Imagine that Apple has the worst charging, who knew? ... everyone knew that.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.