Analyst cuts his forecast of 2017 Apple iPhone X production by 10%

Analyst cuts his forecast of 2017 Apple iPhone X production by 10%
According to a tech executive who is "in the know" when it comes to the production of the Apple iPhone X, the complex 3D sensors used on Face ID are still causing a major problem in the manufacturing of the device. Not terribly long ago, a financial newswire said that Apple's yield for the iPhone X was 10%. To put that in perspective, it means that 90% of the units rolling off of the assembly line are failing to meet Apple's standards. 

The anonymous tech executive says that the dot projector, part of the TrueDepth Camera system, is responsible for the production delays. This is seconded by Jeff Pu, an analyst with Taipei-based Yuanta Investment Consulting who agrees that the production issue is coming from the dot projector. Despite this prediction, Pu still expects Apple to begin mass production of the iPhone X in the middle of this month. The phone will start to be shipped out of China the very next week, he says. However, the analyst has cut his forecast of 2017 iPhone X production by 10% to 36 million units.

If Apple makes no changes, the iPhone X will be available for pre-orders starting on Friday, October 27th, which is just two weeks from tomorrow. The current launch date is scheduled for a week after the start of pre-orders, Friday November 3rd. The 64GB iPhone X will be priced at $999, while $1,149 should get you the 256GB model.

source: NikkeiAsianReview

Related phones

iPhone X
  • Display 5.8" 1125 x 2436 pixels
  • Camera 12 MP / 7 MP front
  • Processor Apple A11 Bionic, Hexa-core, 2390 MHz
  • Storage 256 GB
  • Battery 2716 mAh(21h 3G talk time)

FEATURED VIDEO

14 Comments

1. uncle_gadget

Posts: 1050; Member since: Sep 20, 2017

"it means that 90% of the units rolling off of the assembly line are failing to meet Apple's standards. " How do you know this? Isn't it more like 90% aren't getting the components that it needs? Right in the same paragraph you stated the components for the camera array, are meeting with supply issues. So how exactly does this effect phones that have this part?

2. Finalflash

Posts: 4062; Member since: Jul 23, 2013

They put the yields of iPhone Xs to 10% but the other 90% could have multiple factors affecting them. Build quality usually accounts for a bunch, but screen, camera and what not have now added into the mix.

14. you_sukk_it

Posts: 219; Member since: Apr 11, 2017

I hope they launch buggy phones from the get go and that will ruin their sales.

3. L0n3n1nja

Posts: 1511; Member since: Jul 12, 2016

So if it costs so much to make a phone, and most are faulty, what is this doing to Apple's profits for said phone? On a side note people on here like to bash Chinese made phones while praising Apple, yet the iPhone is manufactured in China.

4. uncle_gadget

Posts: 1050; Member since: Sep 20, 2017

Because there is a difference in a phone just assembled by a Chinese company vs a phone made by a Chinese company. Get it?

5. Xilam unregistered

This is when TimCook trying to pull a Steve Jobs - Apple is screwing up in their foresight. Time to buy a Samsung, seems like they got it all together compared to Apple.

6. jeroome86

Posts: 2314; Member since: Apr 12, 2012

That or a Pixel 2. Maybe a V20 if LG can get it launch.

10. xfire99

Posts: 1205; Member since: Mar 14, 2012

V20 released last year. :p

7. htcisthebest

Posts: 433; Member since: Nov 15, 2011

There's no way they can sell 36 million of this in 2017 even if they manage to produce that many. The competitions are just way better.

8. worldpeace

Posts: 3092; Member since: Apr 15, 2016

You underestimated sheeple power :-/

9. therealestboy

Posts: 82; Member since: May 03, 2013

36 million worldwide is nothing for Apple. They could probably sell more if they could make them.

13. htcisthebest

Posts: 433; Member since: Nov 15, 2011

36 million worldwide in total is nothing for Apple. But expecting 36 million JUST from the iPhone X is quite unrealistic.

11. cnour

Posts: 2305; Member since: Sep 11, 2014

The others are competing with iPhone 7 not X.

12. htcisthebest

Posts: 433; Member since: Nov 15, 2011

So you are saying the Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, among others, are competing against last year's iPhone 7? I am entertained by your comment.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.