Sony Xperia Z5 Ultra rumored to come in March 2016 with Snapdragon 820 on board
1. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2047; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Please no Z6 'til next Q4. But I'm glad that the "Ultra" name remains...I thought they ditched it since the Z5 Premium.
"the largest mobile trade show of the Spring, which is scheduled for 22-25 February 2016."
40. Kame_Hame_Haaaaa (Posts: 360; Member since: 29 Jul 2015)
I hope sony will refresh their lineup with SD 820 asap. Hopefully with the 6th gen.
it would be Z5 ultra IF it launched in 2015.
If it's in 1H2016, it will be Z6 ultra.
For 2H2016 (next Q4) will be the 7th gen. i.e Z7, C7, M7, E7... That's how sony named their phone.
42. MSi_GS70 (unregistered)
They suppose to release it NOW with SD820 !!
And with either 6'' or 6.5'' because of their 4K and then even cooling would be very efficient + 4500mAh or 5000mAh battery
But this gonna cost a grand ! I bet ..
2. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Could Sony be starting an autumn release for normal flagships and spring release for phablet?
59. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 525; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
that would be a cool release cycle... still 6 months but different flagships..
3. joevsyou (Posts: 683; Member since: 28 Feb 2015)
they put 4k in the premium, but forgot to put 2k in the normal version...
7. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2047; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
They didn't want to - the Z4v doesn't count.
15. J3amos (Posts: 10; Member since: 05 Sep 2015)
they know that fewer people would buy the premium if the regular had a 2k display make sense..
26. MuddyCow (Posts: 67; Member since: 09 Oct 2014)
For many QHD is a waste, and like he said, if you want super PPI get the Premium.
62. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 525; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
i really don't care about 2k... 1080p is enough for me on a 5" (ish) phone... maybe the z6 will have it though.. either way i'm going to wait it out until the 820 comes.
4. mike2959 (Posts: 507; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
March 2016?? 6 month's from now in the cell phone world is a long time. The 820 won't be top tier. Now don't freak out, I didn't say garbage, I said it won't be top tier.
8. Busyboy (Posts: 534; Member since: 07 Jan 2015)
The SD820 wont be too tier in 6 months? Seriously? That's when phones with SD820 will start being sold.
60. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 525; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
yeah... as much as i love the z5 i refuse to touch it because the 810.. the 820 has (reportedly) fixed all the issues they had before because of the smaller structure and custom core design.. i hope they release a refresh of the 5.2" z5 with the 820 though... and off topic.. maybe even the m9.. which no matter what anyone says is one of my favorite phones on the market. i'm tired of my m7 but i won't upgrade unless there's something worth upgrading to.
5. legiloca (Posts: 1194; Member since: 11 Nov 2014)
aaand I am officially skipping the Z5 Premium for this one..
33. legiloca (Posts: 1194; Member since: 11 Nov 2014)
Sorry I forgot to put 'If it's a real deal' lol
39. techbuttcheex (Posts: 58; Member since: 25 Jul 2015)
It's so great how Sony always has a slate of phones lined up for me to predict my purchase of.
44. SonyOwner (Posts: 82; Member since: 21 Aug 2015)
Hope you have enough money to buy any sony flagship smartphone.
6. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1989; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
hope the design of the phone changes in 2016, just want to see something different in design.
28. neela_akaash (Posts: 1112; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
I feel the design is just perfect and distinct. Just reduce the upper and lower bezels and it will be more than perfect...
29. neela_akaash (Posts: 1112; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
Sony's flagships stand out in the crowd. And i am really happy with this thing.
10. legiloca (Posts: 1194; Member since: 11 Nov 2014)
I don't know.. the OG Z Ultra was considered a Phablet because people kept saying 7 inch onward are considered Tablets
43. MSi_GS70 (unregistered)
no I have 6'' Huawei Mate 7 and it is perfect .. you'll get usd to it.. :)
58. Techist (Posts: 227; Member since: 27 Jan 2015)
If Samsung doesn't have any flagship storage beyond 64GB, this might just be my next phone. If the current Z5's are able to get two days on the 20nm SD810, imagine what you could get with the 14/16nm SD 820 with a 4000mAh battery!
12. jasrockett (Posts: 45; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I would leave Samsung and buy 2 of these, one for each hand
32. neela_akaash (Posts: 1112; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
And how will you touch/use the screen. I guess you will use it from your d!ck.. lol.
14. rsiders (Posts: 851; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Seriously if they're going to make a phone that big it needs to have specialized features for the size real estate. A stylus and some handy features like the Note 5 or something. No more big phones just to be big.
48. avalon2105 (Posts: 229; Member since: 12 Jul 2014)
Don't know about stylus since you could use any pencil as a stylus on original Z Ultra. But some sort of split screen (like on LG of Samsung flagships) is a must. I would love to have a 4 way split screen with 4 1080p workspaces. I think Samsung has 4 way splitscreen on their Tablet S series and this phone will be pretty close to a tablet in size.
16. joey_sfb (Posts: 5327; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I would love the 6.33" screen but it will be a bit of challenge as a daily driver unless they can do some major trimming on their large bezels.
For me my Lenovo K920 6" screen, 78.29% screen to body ratio make it the maximum that would fit my jeans pocket.
17. Gadgety (Posts: 169; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
To me it makes a lot of more sense than a 4k 5.5 inch screen. My current phablet is the Note 8.0 LTE which I use as my primary phone. It's great for a lot of stuff, but the camera isn't the best. I'm looking for something more pocketable, and a 4K 6.44 inch screen, + that camera would be the main selling points for me.
19. EC112987 (Posts: 523; Member since: 10 Nov 2014)
I like sony well my ps4 but I'm tired of the all the glass. I like different styles in phones
20. Chuck007 (Posts: 1029; Member since: 02 Mar 2014)
Well, that just gave me a rock-hard erection.
55. JesseLim (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Sep 2015)
6.44 inch of rock-hard erection to be precise~
21. aegislash (Posts: 214; Member since: 27 Jan 2015)
I'm so tired of Zx Ultra rumors.
Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition was my most favorite device of all time, and the past two years have been such a disappointment with all of the Z2 Ultra, Z3 Ultra, etc rumors ending up not being true.
I won't believe any of this until we start seeing convincing leaks of the actual device.
23. brasstax (Posts: 279; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Yeah.. That's what I'm talking about.. If this rumour turns into to be true, I can finally look to rest my z ultra..
What worries me though, is the screen size. Notwithstanding the Lenovo Phab Plus, its undeniable that phablet screen sizes have reduced this year & an overwhelming number of them come at 5.5 inches with an occasional 6 incher.
I hope to goodness that Sony doesn't shrink the z5 ultra's screen size. After nearly 2 years on a 6.4" screen, I just can't imagine going back to anything smaller.
It's a pity that the Phab Plus doesn't have better specs, as I would have bought it in a heartbeat as soon as it's launched here in India.
24. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They should have waited and put the SD820 in all of the Z5's.
34. neela_akaash (Posts: 1112; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
Don't worry bro. You will get this in the Z6. But then again you will complaint why Sony didn't waited for the SD830..... and so on.
45. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Depends when it comes out. It's all about timing and Sony's is piss poor.
25. Kruze (Posts: 1285; Member since: 30 Dec 2014)
Screw Z5 Premium, I'm waiting for this one. I'm still paranoid of that sick Snapdragon 810.
27. talon95 (Posts: 460; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
5.5" screen is the biggest I would buy. Nice to see they will have an 820 option. They should retrofit all of them.
37. t184256 (Posts: 14; Member since: 28 Aug 2015)
That would be great, bur without the 4K it would be even greater (Z Ultra user).
38. dimas (Posts: 1887; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
And I'm hoping this will stay as a rumor. 6.44 inches? I might as well get a tablet.
51. t184256 (Posts: 14; Member since: 28 Aug 2015)
You have no idea what you're talking about. Compare the area and the grip of Z Ultra with... what was hot back then, Nexus 7? If the new installment has smaller bezels, the result would be tiny in comparison to 7" tablets.
41. Switch00 (Posts: 393; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
This might be the best all-in-one multimedia device ever - size is perfect. But should have almost no bezels, no on screen buttons, superb pair of earphones included and should come out sooner.
47. Michael.Parker (Posts: 273; Member since: 22 Aug 2015)
The Samsung Note has always been the biggest I think a phone should be, so unless this has no bezels and be incredibly thin I'll have to pass and wait for the LG G4 Pro.
49. rency0722 (Posts: 155; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
Sony, throw in some Bluetooth Stylus accessory for this one, and I'm sold. Remember, Android M supports bluetooth styli on devices so no need for Wacom tech exclusively used by Samsung Note series.
50. gazmatic (Posts: 794; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
why are people saying that sony should have waited for the 820....
isnt samsung waiting for the 820 for their s7 too?
52. Michael.Parker (Posts: 273; Member since: 22 Aug 2015)
It's the other way around since Qualcomm are desperate to get the 820 into the S7 since Samsung have shown they don't need them anymore.
And actually if the Exynos 7422 has the power and size savings it's claimed I'd rather have that giving more space for the battery.