Samsung Galaxy S III might have a software bug draining its battery
Samsung has yet to acknowledge such a battery bug, and we cannot confirm its presence either since our Samsung Galaxy S III seems to be working just fine. Yet those who have researched the matter in detail claim that a value in a system file is causing all the trouble. As a result, the amount of power that is being used when the smartphone is in stand-by mode is about 10 times greater than it should be.
Now, if you have a U.S. variant of the Samsung Galaxy S III, don't worry as your handset is not affected. But if you own the smartphone's international version, and its battery life is not as good as it should be, you might want to head over to the XDA-Developers forum and check out what the guys have to share on the matter. Should you have the skills to resolve the glitch yourself, we cannot stop you from doing so. It would be much wiser, however, to simply wait until an official update squashes that battery bug.
source: XDA-Developers via Android Authority
1. donzere (Posts: 12; Member since: 10 Jun 2010)
Haha i always laugh when i see these half baked android phones hitting the market...
3. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3040; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Pardon me, I am holding my iphone incorrectly and lost all connections.
38. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
yes but the iphone had that 2 years ago.. let it go. the SGSIII is today's phone... btw also my 2004 Nokia phone had battery issues.. will email Nokia on that
43. haroonazeem638 (Posts: 129; Member since: 29 Mar 2011)
Ohh really? And the iPhone 4S had no battery issues now did it?
45. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
not on mine or my brother, we actually enjoy great battery life.. we can be on 3% and be fine. on android if it hits 5% run for a charger... but that's on my experience which is the most important stat for me
47. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5490; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"not on mine or my brother..."
gallitoking and taco50
16. leftheodo (Posts: 65; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
34. tedkord (Posts: 5079; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Half baked like, "Oops, we've been calculating the signal bars wrong for the past three years. (We didn't do it on purpose to fool customers into thinking our device got better reception than it actually does due to poor antenna design)?"
35. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1374; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Half baked? I rather have half baked Android phones than patching iOS. iOS just keeps adding on features that most Android phones already have. Forgot to mentioned iOS 1 to iOS 5 all look very much the same... I think it's a very smooth OS but the way it's slowly building on features bores me.
2. sid07desai (Posts: 268; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Is this bug on all units? Or only some specific ones? I couldn't notice it on my dad's phone. The actual problem seems to be that the cell standby value is set to 34mA instead of 3.4mA in some xml file. There are couple of fixes for it.
6. wendygarett (unregistered)
11. darkskoliro (Posts: 994; Member since: 07 May 2012)
hey man, ive seen you hate on the htc page now you hate on samsung, which makes it apparent you just hate everything from asia. How about this, stop being a racist f*ck, and go take your hate somewhere else, maybe express it on your facebook where everyone can see who you are. if you had a problem with asian people in the last, dont take it out publicly. just stay away from asian things. if not, then shut up and gtfo. no one needs the stupid sh*t twirling around your head, also known as your brain.
13. wendygarett (unregistered)
I'm sorry, i didn't realise that it was so sensitive on this site...
btw, Im Asian :)
14. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
I'm pretty sure you're a chinese asshole..
15. wendygarett (unregistered)
Nope, guess again :D
20. iShepherd (Posts: 38; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
FYI, people can be racist against their own race. If you're anything like my friend's wife, she absolutely hates Asians. And she's Asian. Go figure.
Regardless, your remark is clearly racist. There's just no two ways about it. What if a female CEO made a bad decision for her company? By your logic women shouldn't be offended if I said, "Women CEOs..."
What's worse is you even claim to be Asian. Nothing more disgusting than a self-loathing attention seeker.
25. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Jeez, you people are REALLY goddamn sensitive.
It was just a joke. CALM. DOWN. THE WORLD STILL GOES ON. BREATHE. IN. OUT. IT WAS JUST A JOKE. Noooooobody is racist anymore.
29. 09wbd03516 (banned) (Posts: 140; Member since: 30 May 2012)
there is nothing wrong to be racist... And im pretty sure that most white are racist too
Just like states hate british eventhough they share same language
And take a look at nokia motorola and rim, barely get this kind of issue
And iphone? No wonder it get top satisfaction every year...
31. tedkord (Posts: 5079; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Who hates the British? Now, the French... ;)
41. hiBreed (Posts: 90; Member since: 29 May 2012)
LMAO! nice one, i dont even want to imagine what his brain looks like
30. tedkord (Posts: 5079; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Nothing hotter than a gorgeous Asian woman.
9. darktranquillity (Posts: 284; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Looks like ifools forgot battery draining problems they got. Apple wasn't able to solve it with even an update. But it'll be just a matter of time for samsung.
10. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3040; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Yes it's amusing how the 4S still has battery problems yet the fools are so quick to insult the galaxy s3 which in the US we don't even have the issue, while the 4S is world wide.
22. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
My iPhone 4S has no battery draining issues; it actually has excellent battery stand-by endurance and battery consumption is much much slower than on my DROID CHARGE. Probably because it's always standing by since, I can't really do much (especially downloads) on 3G (although, Verizon's 3G is the best of the big four) and the rest of the time I'm on wi-fi (and, that uses less battery).
So, there; take that!
28. bbblader (Posts: 581; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
you are one of the people that didn't get that problem
but most of them did
33. tedkord (Posts: 5079; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Not trying to argue, but what is best about Verizon's 3g? Besides coverage area, I found it slower than every other carrier except possibly Sprint. MUCH slower than ATT.
48. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3040; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
It's not that it's the fastest. Techically its just as slow as normal Sprint, outside. Take it inside and compare the two and Verizon's is still on par while Sprint's network speeds become slower than dial up. AT&T has the latest 3G easily. I also love their HSPA+ network. But Verizon's 3G network is available almost everywhere and is always reliable.
18. baldilocks (Posts: 540; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
It's just a reporting error. There is already a fix for this and it's been out for a few days now.
44. baldilocks (Posts: 540; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
I love how some moron thumbs down a fix...
19. rd_nest (Posts: 799; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
If someone reads the source article properly, they would notice that it's mainly a reporting issue.
The batteryprofiles.xml populates the cell idle entry with 33mA as power drain as opposed to 3mA. It's about how the standby consumption is reported by the system.
21. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
It's not a battery draining issue, it's the Battery section in the settings showing what uses the most battery displaying it wrongly. Flashing this fix will only fix what is displayed in the Battery section, not actual battery life.
40. Stuntman (Posts: 749; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
This is such bad reporting by Phone Arena. I read the original source of this report and the issue is not that the batter is draining faster than it should. The issue is that the reporting of what is draining the battery is incorrect. This Phone Arena article is really misleading. I suggest that a retraction or correction to this article be made. Thanks to the other readers for also pointing this out.
51. AsISeeIt (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I have the "US variant" and my Galaxy S III has a serious battery drain problem, too. Frankly, it's just as bad, if not worse, as my iPhone 4. Major suckage!!
52. Vince805 (Posts: 21; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
My galaxy s3 only last 8 hours on a full charge!!!! this is with display on lowest setting. Only turning on the network when i need to. and haptic feed back is off and always closing apps. And I dont even use it very much in this period. I text thats about it!!!