Motorola DROID RAZR announced!
Motorola today finally announced the hot smartphone we've been hearing about lately - the Motorola DROID RAZR for Verizon Wireless! But is there something to make this device special, besides its epic name? You bet!
The DROID RAZR seems to be the thinnest smartphone yet, at just 7.1mm - so we guess that makes it "razr thin" then. However, you should keep in mind that characteristic "hump" near the upper side, which houses the 8MP camera, capable of 1080p video recording. Other specifications of the device are pretty much what we expected - a 4.3" qHD screen of the Super AMOLED Advanced type, as well as a dual-core 1.2GHz processor. Obviously, Moto seems to have done some tremendous work with regards to battery life, as it promises talk time of 12.5 hours, as well as 8.9 hours of video playback out of the DROID RAZR's 1800mAh battery.
But as you can imagine, the most important asset of the Motorola DROID RAZR will be its design. That razor thin body will actually be made of stainless steel core; it will have a Kevlar back side, as well as the so-called splash guard screen on the front, also featuring gorilla glass. In addition, the phone will sport some diamond-cut aluminum accents.
You didn't thing this won't be a 4G LTE-enabled smartphone, right? Great, because it will be! What's even more interesting is the fact that this thing is actually thinner than all the other LTE phones, and, as a matter of fact, thinner than all 3G smartphones out there! We think that when you couple that with the expected great battery life and all the other killer-features, Motorola's work with the DROID RAZR equals pure awesomeness.
Remember Webtop, the app that allows some new Motorola smartphones to dock into its laptop-like docks? Well, it's also on board, letting you combine the power of the DROID RAZR with that of the Lapdock 100, or the familiar HD station dock accessory.
The Motorola DROID RAZR for Verizon will be up for pre-order on October 27, and will ship in November, for the newly-imposed premium price of $299 through Verizon, after signing a new two-year contract. Outside of the U.S., the DROID RAZR will be just RAZR. Cool.
source: Verizon and Motorola
1. GoodFella posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:45 4 0
12.5 Hours of Talk!? I hope it lives up to what it says! This would be revolutionary for an LTE Android! Nice job Moto!
48. iKingTrust (banned) posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:44 3 1
yea its looking good. On paper its the best droid i have ever seen
92. Lucas777 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 21:08 2 0
i feel horrible for anyone who bought a bionic....
2. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:46 4 0
Motorola was quick to play up the 12.5 hour 3G talk time, but no word with LTE on. My guess is about half that.
69. terabyteRouser posted on 18 Oct 2011, 13:44 4 0
It don't think the phone uses LTE for voice.
81. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 14:43 1 0
But as anyone with an LTE phone can tell you, battery life will differ whether you have the LTE turned on or off. Just holding the 4G signal takes some juice.
3. remixfa posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:46 2 0
if they can live up to those battery claims, thats extremely impressive.. especially given the top end hardware in it.
6. GoodFella posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:48 3 0
Bullet Proof Kevlar Back Side= Amazing Top End Hardware!
24. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:06 1 0
I am very excited. I would love to see this come to Sprint!
With unlimited 4G data, WOW!
4. J.Phillips posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:46 5 7
Absolutely amazing phone! They specs and hardware destroy all other phones on the market! DROID RAZR>iphone4s all day
7. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:48 5 0
Don't even bother with the comparison. The two have next to nothing in common.
15. J.Phillips posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:54 5 6
It doesn't matter...the Droid Razr is better all the way!
19. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:58 4 2
I can't see anyone cross-shopping the two. The Razr is all sharp angles, big-screen goodness and LTE speed, while the iPhone is small, elegant and stuck on 3G. Why even mention them in the same breath?
27. J.Phillips posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:09 1 4
True true! I just wanted to make notice that its way better than the iphone 4s!
34. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:15 5 1
And my point is that it's not better, it's completely different. It's just better for you and me.
91. GoodFella posted on 18 Oct 2011, 20:37 0 0
Bottom line roldefol, customers will ask. You see absolutely no comparison (as you are right), but the regular consumers don't. ;-)
5. Tmachaveli posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:47 11 0
Thats one badass phone..( hears bionic owners throw there phones in the wall) lol
13. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:52 0 0
And sadly, every Verizon or Radio Shack salesman I spoke to was still pushing the Bionic up until...probably yesterday. I feel sorry for the less informed customers.
39. Brent posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:20 0 0
Thats why I payed full price at Best Buy for my Bionic, and took it back! Got my Droid X and goddamn do I miss 4G. But, know it's between the Droid Razr or the Droid Prime or what ever it will be called. I'm thinking the Razr now, but will see!
41. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:22 1 1
The Razr appears to be the true spiritual successor to the X.
38. DontHateOnS60 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:20 0 0
I've been waiting for someone to finally say it. It echoes designs from Nokia (E7, N8, N9). It even has the same look as the new Acer 7" tablet. That's not to say it doesn't look good though. I love that N8 look, but that back is ehh.
9. arcq12 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:51 2 0
holy jesus....... i can't decide which phone to get now.....
10. tech-head posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:51 2 0
That's a nice phone. Dang.....Verizon got a awesome lineup. AT&T's holiday lineup is nonexistent.... :-(
11. hmonv5 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:51 1 3
Im typing this on my bionic and am pretty salty. Verizon beter offer an upgrade for bionic users due to the poor battery life and 3g/4g connection issues unless they are fixed with ics.
12. acoers posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:52 1 1
yeah im ready to trade my droid 3 in for this, but you know in a month there will be a better phone coming out.
16. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:55 2 0
I can see Motorola sticking by the Razr for a while though. They didn't hold a big press conference for the Bionic, but they did hold one for the Droid X last summer and that phone held the top slot at Verizon for 9 months.
14. Muhannad posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:53 0 0
Motorola makes very powerful and amazing phones, my only disappointment is that they're on some US Carrier (Verizon, At&t) and they're never unlocked so I never get to buy one of these.
17. Sniggly posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:56 3 0
A super thin, super fast high end smartphone with awesome specs, great battery life, AND built to be super durable?! Give this babydoll ICS eventually and it'll be the ULTIMATE Android phone!
Even as it is, this stands to be Motorola's best device ever.
47. bolaG posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:35 0 0
This is the phone I've been waitting for. I cant wait to hold it in my hands. Best moto phone out in a long long time. Thank God I retuned the Bionic in time
18. Snapdude posted on 18 Oct 2011, 11:58 0 0
tested this device last week, its amazing, i expect big things from this handset but the price is steep :/ 4g battery life was much less than the 12.5 3g time but was not worse than current 4g handsets
53. Sniggly posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:57 0 0
if 4G battery life is at least as good as the Bionic, then I think we have a winner on our hands.
60. Snapdude posted on 18 Oct 2011, 13:08 1 1
its slightly better (not by much) but the scrfeen is better than bionic :)
64. Sniggly posted on 18 Oct 2011, 13:26 1 0
Considering the whole point of the Pentile display on the Bionic is to save battery, then I'd say Motorola did some fantastic work on this phone. :)
20. hawk62 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:00 1 0
Is it measured at the thinnest or thickest part? That is the question. The galaxy line had to change their ads in England for not using the thickest part to measure.
33. Allday28 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:14 0 0
I have one available as well. Couldnt be a better time than right now.. Now the question is Vigor,Razr or Nexus???
36. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:17 1 0
I'm leaning toward the Nexus, but will have to hold all three and see which one fits me the best. It is a great time to upgrade. :D
25. arcq12 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:06 0 0
I guess it's not but if it is, I don't think it's a big of a deal.
26. Mastertwiz posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:07 1 0
No. It's Super AMOLED "Advanced". According to Moto, with more vibrant colors than most LCD HD TVs
30. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:11 0 0
AMOLED by definition is more vibrant than LCD, but that doesn't mean it's not PenTile.
78. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 14:22 0 0
I wonder if "Advanced" is just their way of saying qHD.
29. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:10 1 0
Super AMOLED Pentile. So same resolution as the Bionic, but I think the PenTile defects are easier to deal with when it's at least an AMOLED screen.
28. Mastertwiz posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:10 1 0
I was nearly certain I'd be burning my upgrade on the Galaxy Nexus. At this point, especially considering the compatibility with MotoActive, I might going with the Razr... I did have the flip phone. I loved that thing.
Unanswered question though... Bootloader: Locked or Unlocked???
31. roldefol posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:12 0 0
Motorola has little to gain financially from pleasing the small minority of Android users who care about an unlocked bootloader.
37. arcq12 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:19 0 0
yeah, motorola has a record of encrypting bootloaders on some of their devices.
35. DROIDX0430 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:16 0 0
OUCH!!!!. Beautiful phone, awesome specs.... A lot of manufacturer's are going to have to step up there game to contend with this baby. The Holiday lineup for VW is going to be great. Razr, Nexus Prime with ICS, HTC with Beats audio---looking real good....I guess I will have to be content with my Bionic....
43. Mastertwiz posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:26 0 0
Yeah don't worry. You can upgrade to the Galaxy S3, I'll still be rocking my Droid Razr or Galaxy Nexus
42. gtrxman posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:25 1 0
I am so on this phone. So much functionality. Encryption. Rugged. No way it doesn't get ICS. Fantastic. Who needs Siri? Nexus Prime needs to absolutely kill for me to consider it.
44. protozeloz posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:28 0 0
The first droid ouside US! Did I just died? Hope It's worth it
45. GALAXY-S posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:30 2 0
very nice phone!! only if it was gsm i would get it!
46. Thump3rDX17 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:35 2 1
O_O it's the thinnest phone AND it's LTE!? my god. what the hell is a Galaxy S II?
62. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 18 Oct 2011, 13:12 1 0
Samsung Galaxy S II is over half a year old & it has still a better processor. The Exynos is still just too beast of a chip.
83. Thump3rDX17 posted on 18 Oct 2011, 16:11 0 0
oh you can bet i remember that but with everything else aside from probably the camera the RAZR is superior and it has a higher clocked OMAP (we still don't even know if it's a 4430 or a 4460) so the trade offs for Exynos are there and don't forget the U.S. is only just now starting to push the Galaxy S II so naturally it'll be pitted up against this.