Google Maps 6.9 update breaks offline maps availability for many countries
Ironically, the latest 6.9 update to the Google Maps application that brings the feature out of its hiding place in the Settings menu and into a more prominent location, breaks offline maps for a lot of countries where the feature was previously available, and that’s a bummer.
4. iWorld (Posts: 85; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
funny for funny people.It is What It is.........
6. itiswhatitis (Posts: 421; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Yep, i alwasy mange to see the humour side of everything so yeah iWorld its funny
2. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
thats an odd maneuver. I'm sure there was a reason for google to do that though. Maybe the new offline maps downloads a lot of extra info compared to the old ones (like highlights of interest/ect) and the countries that lost it dont have all that loaded into the system yet? Just a wild guess, but im sure there is a reason.
3. sbr999 (Posts: 79; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
Cross the line and go in Africa or Eastern Europe... lol =)
5. blowfish (Posts: 10; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
The latest version won't keep the offline maps in the US for me. It will let me download the map and after a while if I go back into Maps the offline map will be gone. I have a Samsung Captivate. Does anyone else have this issue?
7. Stuntman (Posts: 711; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
This is the reason I don't bother updating my apps if I know it is already working well for me. Got burned before when an update broke something on the old version.
8. alihafeez (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
Please advise how to revert back to one version prior to the latest. I had faced a similar dilemma on my froyo set and never found a workaround.
10. Stuntman (Posts: 711; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Yeah. You don't get the option of installing a specific version of the app. You either update it to the latest or you remove it. If I could select the specific version, I'd have done that a long time ago for my Facebook app. The current version sucks.
9. sid07desai (Posts: 249; Member since: 03 May 2012)
This is why never select 'Automatically download updates' in the play store. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :|
11. zan4o (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
It's work like charm!
Go to My places\Offline\New offline map
Search for desired city and download it!
Why don't you try harder before publishing a "news"!