Initial Galaxy S6 (left) vs Galaxy S7 (right) iconography
Do you like Samsung's new TouchWiz 'squircle' icons?
1. maxha97 (Posts: 93; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
It doesnt matter because you can change theme in galaxy......
31. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1442; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
True. Beauty of Android.
I think newer one looks better
They have much better uniformity in shapes than previous one's.
72. joevsyou (Posts: 805; Member since: 28 Feb 2015)
most yes, but few is worse like the folder doesn't even look like a folder any more, Why did they zoom out the facebook app? and the boarder for the calendar made it stand out better
74. DoggyDangerous (Posts: 857; Member since: 28 Aug 2015)
Samsung is copying chinese style of UI
36. TechieXP1969 (limited) (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
But that isn't the point. The point and question was, if you liked these or not. No one ask about changing them. Everyone here knows you can change them whether you like them or not...Sherlock!
77. WAusJackBauer (Posts: 225; Member since: 22 Mar 2015)
Is there an icon pack that makes them look stock touchwiz?
2. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Candycons + Nova.
70. AlikMalix (Posts: 5836; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
Finally - it's consistent. I just like these new ones better, because I never liked android icons to be inconsistent shapes - remind me of Windows icons.
Question: now that Samsung got consistent shape throughout, what happens to apps that still follow old android scheme where the icons are shaped individually - will those icons confirm automatically to samsungs shape? Or is it gonna be a mess again as soon as I install a few apps?
76. KONICHIWA-ANNYONG (unregistered)
Seriously, Nova is overrated in my opinion, especially nowadays against other 'clean' interfaces, Touchwiz included!
You don't need it anymore.
83. Whateverman (Posts: 3262; Member since: 17 May 2009)
That may be true, but I love Nova because Android STILL doesn't offer landscape mode. I would think TouchWiz would at least have it but no. Apple beat them to that too!
84. AlikMalix (Posts: 5836; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
iPhone 6/6s doesn't have it, just the 6+/6s+ only.
16. GreenMan (Posts: 1236; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
@yoosufmuneer Must be quite hard for a... Ahem... "Touchwiz Purist" such as you yourself, eh mate?!
Some people still live in the dark age of Android (i.e SamFans)... Well, come to the light... Come to THE MATERIALISM (And do mind my CAPS, I just can't help myself!)...
Assalamualaikum! (mind my Arabic)...
(I thought you might want to hear this instead of my regular "G'Day"...)
33. GreenMan (Posts: 1236; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
@S.R.K Don't you've anything better to do other than laughing your 'buttocks' off?
LMAO this, LAMO that... That's all I hear from you, lad.
And its getting quite old, just like me!
48. catze86 (Posts: 726; Member since: 07 Dec 2015)
Youngsters these days. Listen to your Old man, bro!
56. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
I'd rather be happy and laugh than getting angry or abusive or lose my temper being sad.
59. catze86 (Posts: 726; Member since: 07 Dec 2015)
Oh, sorry. You are Old Man too.
Just like GreenMan. For and old man,You are full of energy, too.
81. yoosufmuneer (Posts: 1498; Member since: 14 Feb 2015)
Wa'alaikumussalam (Your Arabic is good,although I am not an Arab). Material Design>Any Other Design Guideline. I am ok because Samsung has a theme store lol
4. jellmoo (Posts: 1586; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I like it better than the old style (I much prefer a unified shape to every icon being shaped differently), but I'd prefer it if they showed more restraint in their colour choices, and stuck with a single design type rather than using several different ones.
5. AkoSiKuting (banned) (Posts: 88; Member since: 09 Dec 2015)
LOL die-diehard Sammy kids gonna jump, like an idiot fish jump twice an hour on the toilet bowl for no reason for this. Interface is Just another pig with lipstic, but it still a slow laggy pig :)
Mr Denials gonna reply my comment soon no doubt :)
13. Landon (Posts: 488; Member since: 07 May 2015)
You really have nothing to look forward to in life.
53. NoToFanboys (Posts: 1545; Member since: 03 Oct 2015)
Can everyone report that troll please? He's like a cancer in the comment sections
27. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
The new, cheaper iPhone is called the 5C, which sounds like a class at school or a flat above a shop. It comes in four candy-bright colours, like it’s a highlighter pen, pair of Crocs or something. Perhaps the “C” stands for “common”.
2 Its posher sister model, the 5S, has a fingerprint sensor. So thieves won’t just steal your phone, they’ll amputate a finger too, like a sort of telecoms Yakuza.
3 They still automatically put “Sent from my iPhone” at the end of emails, making you look like a tragic show-off.
4 Smug people with the new handsets will proudly place them on the pub, café or meeting room table when they sit down, then keep sneaking surreptitious glances at them. Oh, right. So the vague possibility of not seeing a text from your mum the very second it arrives is more interesting than anything I have to say, is it? Rude.
28. SupermanayrB (limited) (Posts: 571; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
No die hard Sammy fan but I'll jump at the opportunity to clown your grammar. I don't care if English isn't your first language. If you're going to TRY to make fun of people at least sound like you have some sense.
51. GreenMan (Posts: 1236; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
Woah! The GrammarMan" is out... Actually "GrammarmanayrB" to be precise (for some 'hellish' reason)...
Take shelter... Save your selves...!
Come-on Superbud, have some respect for humanity... Cause otherwise, you're just another typical white clown form "The Land of Yankees", savvy?
80. SupermanayrB (limited) (Posts: 571; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
#1, I'm not white so your last statement was ignorant.
#2, you forgot the first quotation in GrammarMan.
#3, It's from, not form. LOL.
30. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
Take an untouched (not de-bloated and not after you kill a bunch of background processes) S5 and look at the amount of available memory at any given time, its typically less than 500MB, likely it is closer to 300MB...Thats out of 2GB!! Thats insane.
Then look at the amount of installed system apps (not user apps), there is roughly 300+ apps installed on a S5 or N4 out of the box with the vast majority of them being touchwiz apps and also being redundant. For example, a touchwiz keyboard and an AOSP keyboard, a touchwiz calendar and an AOSP calendar etc...There is a duplicate of every AOSP app and function on Galaxy devices.
Then we have the Samsung cloud services constantly running in the background, checking your location, syncing your data, scanning for nearby devices, looking for updates etc...All the while there is also the AOSP account apps doing the same thing.
Finally the logging, Samsung logs everything and sends that data back to Samsung constantly, where you are, your app usage, your online usage, error reports, crash reports etc....
No its not just "popular" to say touchwiz is bloated, its absolutely true. Touchwiz is unbelievably bloated to the point it cripples performance.
I went outside once...the UI was horrible.
That's why the Note5 has 4gb Ram, for it to not lag.
Increase the Ram and Touchwiz will be fluid.
Ram is the main course.
49. catze86 (Posts: 726; Member since: 07 Dec 2015)
Maan, Techie will be proud of you, seriously.. Hehehehe
52. GreenMan (Posts: 1236; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
@S.R.K And there I thought you're a typical Sammy Bum...
Will you ever forgive me, mate?
57. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
I'm a Android fan. But not a blind fanboy. Love every Android Oems. But deeply dislike Apple company. ow also adore the Exynos.
6. AmitMajumder (Posts: 178; Member since: 21 May 2012)
There are a direct ripoff of Nokia's Symbian icons. And the icons the N9 were also similar
75. monoke (Posts: 340; Member since: 14 Mar 2015)
Maybe Nokia should've patent them icon design, so they can collect royalty fees on each Sammy unit sold. lol!
7. phljcnth (Posts: 485; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I do hope Android will implement uniform icon shape to make the drawer look more organized.
8. hwb01 (Posts: 291; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
It doesn't matter to me cause I use a theme on my Note5
9. Landon (Posts: 488; Member since: 07 May 2015)
They're called themes. Download one instead of posting another pole or article about hating TouchWiz's default theme.
10. GreenMan (Posts: 1236; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
Seems like a teeny weeny step toward "Materialism" by Uncle Sammy...
And yes, I do like these icons...
Does it means that Samsung is going to make the next NEXUS???
Hmmm, Me, my impeccable love of Nexus and my day dreams... Ha!
Guess I'm getting old after all...
23. GreenMan (Posts: 1236; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
@catze86 I'm afraid I don't speak 'cat'...
37. GreenMan (Posts: 1236; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
@catze86 Thanks mate!
I think its Malay, right?
46. GreenMan (Posts: 1236; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
@jonathanalexander9 I see... Well, that was a pretty close guess!
82. yoosufmuneer (Posts: 1498; Member since: 14 Feb 2015)
did you use detect language in Google Translate lol?
18. abdoualgeria (Posts: 397; Member since: 27 Jul 2015)
At least better than the boxy G5's icons
19. Clars123 (Posts: 722; Member since: 16 Mar 2015)
I like the consistency they bring..bit I don't like the icons themselves.. I feel they could look better..off course that's why the material dark theme exists
21. Zomer (Posts: 270; Member since: 31 May 2013)
2008 called, they want their squircle icons backs.
66. sissy246 (Posts: 994; Member since: 04 Mar 2015)
Not even close, they are much better then iphones
29. SupermanayrB (limited) (Posts: 571; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
That's the beauty of android. You don't like the stock icons? Change them. That simple.
38. GreenMan (Posts: 1236; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
@SupermanayrB Yes, the greatest trait of Android...
But what if you don't like something called 'bloat'...? I hear you can't change it on a Sammy S, right?
Well, Samsung doesn't run on Android... It runs on something called "TouchWiz"... That's some pretty heavy stuff, eh?!