Brand confusion? Porn company may sue over HTC Vivid
HTC has responded simply by saying, "We are reviewing the complaint and don't expect to have any further comment until it is resolved." However, we would really like to see more of an explanation from Vivid Entertainment, because we cannot understand how anyone could get an Android smartphone confused with a porn company. Perhaps someone may think that the phone has been sponsored by the company, and complain when there are no adult films pre-loaded on the device?
We'll bring you more as it happens, because this story is shaping up to be hilarious.
source: TMZ via The Verge
2. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
This is crazy. They need to stop. There is no way they will win this suit
3. andro. (Posts: 1926; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Because any use of the word 'vivid' instantly make you think of porn,hmm......
Htc should change the name to the HTC XXX for the laugh of it!
4. kshell1 (Posts: 1117; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Omg this is the stupidest bs ever. How does vivid cause brand confusion I'm pretty sure that an android phone isn't going to cause confusion. Multi mil/billionaire phone company vs random porno company nobody has ever heard of? Yeah htc going to win by a landslide
5. willywill_evo (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
what up with all this nonsense that google,htc and sammy have to go through everyday..i just hope they keep their mind positive
6. Debbie (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Next will be the "ZETAs" Cartel to sue HTC for using Zeta as a model of a phone.
8. ghost_uwi (Posts: 47; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I just bought my Vivid HTC phone ....................... Wait ............. I was thought there was porn on this phone.............. WHERE IS MY PORN !!!!
Yeah i can so see this happening now lol
9. gallitoking (Posts: 4630; Member since: 17 May 2011)
HTC Vivid.. preloaded with Vivids videos... and beats...
10. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2604; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Oh man, so glad I didn't think of that while writing this up...
21. techaman (Posts: 343; Member since: 03 Jul 2011)
now thats a phone that would out sell all others lol
11. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Lol Vivid is one of the best/largest porn comp out there :P I cant believe I didnt notice before that this phone has their name haha
15. mctcm (Posts: 204; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
you didnt notice because the word vivid holds no brand recognition whatsoever -- which is why this lawsuit is baseless
12. Netolic (Posts: 139; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I currently bought an htc vivid on the launch date for 99 bucks. And vivid ent. Has an office near ny place at universal studios hollywood. I should go there and let them load all their freebies to my fone
13. Rawrzellers (Posts: 224; Member since: 22 Aug 2010)
I understand the HTC ChaCha cause I thought of the search engine at first but this is just stupid. I don't think someone will hear HTC Vivid and be like "OH BOY PORN PHONE"
14. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1442; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Mitsubishi could try to cash in on this for the EVOlution, maybe thats also why its the Rezound instead of Vigor because of Acura :P
16. madhouse (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
my lady friend owns one and she said she loves it when it vibrates inside her pocket.
17. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Her "pocket"? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
19. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
The real connection between the two is that you can watch VIVID videos on the Vivid phone. My buddy at work bought this and on just the HSPA+ network he get 13.5 mbps download. Great speed for watching those vids.
20. techaman (Posts: 343; Member since: 03 Jul 2011)
more like they wanted there share of money htc does well so why not get money because a phone has same name as adult porn company, its like star trek trying to sue samsung for the nexus because nexus was mentioned in the star trek generations movie.
23. htcisthebest (Posts: 8; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
Vivid Entertainment is another stupid company out there, just like Apple.