Blind cameraphone comparison 2
While this method leaves some of the best cameraphones out of the equation (think, Nokia N8), it gives an approximation of what you can expect from current top notch carrier offers and their camera performance. In this test, we've also separately taken images with a point-and-shoot digital camera for reference.
The photos represent some common scenes – landscapes, a shot with direct sunlight in the way and a portrait. We've separated the pictures in two categories and we'd ask you for your votes about the overall quality of stills downsized to a common web format first. Don't hesitate to vote and share the reasons for picking a particular device in the comments below – color balance, proper exposure and dynamic range should all matter here.
The second set of images represents 100% crops. This allows us to focus on the details and look for noise or any other artifacts that might corrupt the image when looked up close. A 100% crop also gives a better idea about how sharp/soft the image looks. Finally, we should mention that if there has been any difference in image resolutions between phones, we've equalized that by scaling them all to match the largest resolution involved.
Both polls expire on Thursday, August 11th, but you shouldn't wait for the last minute to submit your votes. As always, the comments section is the place where you should feel free to elaborate on your decision, share opinions, runner-ups and suggestions – those are always welcome.
1. shizam (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:02 2 1
You can tell that many of you are not photographers, rather phone geeks.
2. Abe (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:05 3 0
3. Appoid posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:08 3 0
Lol indeed, which is why we are on a "phone" website.
39. medalaster01 (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 07:13 0 8
Dude we can easily tell the first one is an iPhone 4 look at that awesome pics,and then follows the droids2,3&4.
61. fatexo posted on 11 Aug 2011, 03:05 3 1
can tell easily how much people like ur iPhone 4 over droids by looking at the number of thumbs down to ur comment
4. BenCjamin posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:13 2 1
I think what he meant is people are not voting based on best picture but best on which they think is their favorite phone. Phone 1 has terrible color saturation every picture taken with it looks yellow and yet it is getting a ton of votes!
5. district11 posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:22 14 5
Phone number 1 is horrible... I think it is iPhone 4 :)
6. JS15278 posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:25 7 2
chiken again as i read and understand N8 is not included again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
30. Lucky Lion (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 03:24 2 0
It would be unfair with other phones to have comparison with N8 Camera
Would you like to watch the match between 400Kg Boxer with 150Kg one?!? I guess Not.
14. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 08 Aug 2011, 11:25 6 3
Guys I am trying to be funny. "Why so serious?" lol This is the same exact comparison as before. They better not have an iPhone 4 again because then this would be pointless. We already know the iPhone 4 was the second best (or the first loser) in total performance from the last comparison. I hope they have 4 new phones they are comparing, not one or some of the SAME phones from the last comparison! Why are they not considering the Nokia N8? Well from how this article reads they are implying that the Nokia N8 is not in the mix! The N8 needs to be included!
53. remixfa posted on 10 Aug 2011, 18:23 0 1
probably because your not going to find it on a major retailer in the US.. they pointed that out. Its one phone per US carrier.
im going to guess what they are.. iphone4, sensation,droidX2,Evo3d.
Dont know why people voted for #2 on the first photo set. It had the least accurate colors of the group, regardless of how well the photo looked. That girl's shirt is a dead give away.. ya dont even need to blow up the pix.. lol.
8. 2143 (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:47 0 1
IMHO In order of performance of the devices are 2 > 1 > 4 > 3
9. luis_lopez_351 posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:48 3 0
2 and 4 is a tie. 2 is more clear but 4's colors are just right.
10. Rahil (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:50 1 1
The first one is so totally over-saturated.
11. Rahil (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:56 1 0
Order of preference is 2-4-1-3
12. DLang1234 (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 11:13 0 0
#4 is iPhone 4.. the rest are 8MP cameras, reason that they crop to about the same, but #4 crops smaller.
47. AndroidTroll posted on 09 Aug 2011, 21:12 2 0
Actually, you are thinking of it backwards. The higher MP cameras would crop "smaller" (closer in on the subject). Lower MP cameras would crop to show more of the subject. I am a photographer, I do this for a living so I know. I have tested this with my 7D (18MP) against other (lower res) cameras and using photoshop to do the 100% crop. The reason that #4 appears to crop "smaller" is that it has a wider angle lens which makes the subject appear further away even if shot from the same distance as the other cameras.
13. DLang1234 (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 11:16 0 0
Also a problem that I see here.. these guys aren't photographers.. so this could be part of the problem, but it looks like it didn't have the same focus across the shots.
I love the thought behind this..
You also need some action shots.. just someone walking in front of the camera would do. See how fast the shutters and stuff are, as well as how fast the focus locks!!
15. jcoberg10 posted on 08 Aug 2011, 12:16 0 0
I didn't like the colors on 1 either. I thought 4 had accurate colors to what you would normally expect, however it didn't match up with the cannon, so does that mean the cannon is wrong or is 4 wrong? 2 > 3 > 4 > 1
16. Vladislav (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 12:22 0 0
It's interesting that if you look at the crops you can clearly see that number 1 is pulling in far more detail than all of the other smartphones and, strangely, even pulling in more than the canon. There's definitely more noise in the photos. Personally, I would choose a more detailed photo with more noise over a less detailed one with less noise. But, to each his/her own.
18. NeXoS posted on 08 Aug 2011, 12:29 2 0
Why are all the photos cropped differently? Is it because each phone has a different FOV?
20. corps1089 posted on 08 Aug 2011, 13:08 2 0
Different native focal lengths in the lenses on the devices means a different apparant size to the same features in photo to photo. It would not be fair to crop the photos so the images match size: the camera with the longer focal length would be penalized as clarity would suffer as the image is blown up to match sizes...
19. ztedac posted on 08 Aug 2011, 12:31 2 0
this is more fair, the camera is the standard on the side and won't take away votes like the last time
21. jack214 (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 13:55 0 2
I can't believe most people are voting for Camera #2 on that first set of pictures. It's obvious that Camera #1 is far superior. On the 2nd set of pictures I picked Camera #2 for the first one, Camera #3 for the 2nd, and Camera #1 for the 3rd... So ultimately voted for Camera #3 because I thought of the first two pictures it took the cake while Camera #1 definitely won in the 3rd group of crops. Overall, my vote's for Camera #1.
23. duder (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 15:06 1 0
Do u know how we know u need glasses....
57. jack214 (unregistered) posted on 10 Aug 2011, 23:16 0 1
Guess u guys need 'em
22. ABC_123 (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 14:42 2 1
1. Apple iPhone 4
2. Samsung Galaxy S II
3. Sony Xperia Arc
4. HTC Sensation
24. RAZY (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 16:20 1 3
1. HTC SENSATION
2. NOKIA N8
3. SAMSUNG GALAXY S2
4. APPLE IPHONE 4
25. RAZYY (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 17:59 1 1
1 HTC SENSATION
2 SAMSUNG GALAXY S 2
3 SONY ERICSSON XPERIA ARC
4 APPLE IPHONE 4
26. dblue45 posted on 08 Aug 2011, 18:11 3 2
Is it just me or the girl really is busty?! :P
By the way, the 2nd camera is the best ;)
27. AhmadAlsayegh posted on 08 Aug 2011, 18:58 1 2
PhoneArena, this time you are doing it right!
but again, you should have included the N8
28. Joe (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 19:45 3 0
You people saying one is the Galaxy S2 and the N8, did you read the synopses? It's one smartphone that is currently available on each major carrier in the U.S. This precludes the S2 and N8 being in this comparison because neither is available on a carrier in here. Reading comprehension people, Jeez!
29. chunk1x posted on 09 Aug 2011, 02:33 1 0
I want N8 and No. 2 is the best. Bring N8 to the fight and make it a brutal, no holds bar, bare knuckle fight of the century. Who here wants to see N8 part of this type of a face off?
31. KING (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 03:54 0 3
Device 1: N8 , Device 2: GSII
2 > 1
32. Gwenchana (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 04:00 0 0
Device #2 sure produces the best pictures,could it be the T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide?Since it is self-proclaimed to be the best camera phone to date
33. Lawrence (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 04:41 1 1
1 = Most noise
2 = Too soft
3 = Most detail
4 = Best colours
34. mtweg12 posted on 09 Aug 2011, 04:47 0 2
My rating 2>1>3>4
1 is Motorola Atrix,
2 is SGS2,
3 is HTC Sensation and
4 is iPhone 4
35. lol not again and no way! (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 05:49 0 0
loool no way im gona give my vote for this, they shoudve iclude the title with a real camera pff!
36. lol not again and no way! (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 05:50 0 0
those are not all cameraphone,one of them is a digicam or dslr
38. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 09 Aug 2011, 07:08 1 0
ummm looks like the Nokia n8 is not included again
40. GePLovaG X (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 08:20 0 2
#1 I think it will the iphone4 because it's too saturated.
#2 Will be the N8
#3 Sure it's HTC Sensation
#4 I have no idea.
42. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 09 Aug 2011, 09:42 1 0
The article says that the N8 is not included ''While this method leaves some of the best cameraphones out of the equation (think, Nokia N8), it gives an approximation of what you can expect from current top notch carrier offers and their camera performance''
Trust me if the N8 was included in the test the pictures would look even better that the Cannon's pictures.
41. Notafanboy (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 09:21 0 1
Ladies. These are phones. Who cares. If you want a point and shoot go get a real point and shoot!
43. rex0422 (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 10:03 0 1
Dude, phone no.1 is abysmal, is it sth like iphone 4? iphone 4's camera is truly "breathtaking"...
44. Pol (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 11:55 1 1
Again iPhone as #1 and SGII as #2... Its great the detail level of the 3, very close to the Canon !
45. rathdrum77 posted on 09 Aug 2011, 13:26 0 0
All of them have technical issues, rather it be color saturation, over sharping, etc. Hard to compare the shots with sun/no sun due to cloud cover as well. I went with four, but some of three's shots were better. They all need color correction of one sort or another.
I use a Droid X that replaced my old point and shoot Casio for casual shooting. For my landscape photography business that I do when not selling phones, I use a Nikon D 200 and D300.
46. PeterIfromsweden posted on 09 Aug 2011, 15:58 1 3
I think that device number 1 is best. Will be interesting to see which phones have been selected to do the test.
48. emmarbee posted on 10 Aug 2011, 01:47 0 0
haa haa haa this time sammy is gonna win. I've mentioned this last time itself. iPhone and other phones' camera might be good, but they aren't real. sammy though not colorful, looks close to real...
51. adreez posted on 10 Aug 2011, 10:58 2 1
Just guessing :D
52. Shikhar (unregistered) posted on 10 Aug 2011, 11:00 0 0
I can honestly guarantee someone's life that the 1st numbered pictures are clicked through iPhone. The colour scheme on these pictures is totally departed from the colour scheme on the rival pictures.
54. jonnyjonjon (unregistered) posted on 10 Aug 2011, 18:58 0 1
1st is definitely iPhone - detailed or not, the colors are way too warm in a few shots. 2nd, I would bet, is the Droid Charge or Infuse 4G (which use the same camera sensor on the SGSII, but are actually on a US carrier right now). 3rd is definitely the sensation, since it produces weird, alien inky-blue skies (I can't stand the way some HTC phones colorize their images). And the last... well, to completely guess, the MyTouch Slide 4G (one of the few HTCs that isn't bad) or the LG G2X.
55. biophone posted on 10 Aug 2011, 21:00 1 0
1: Iphone 4 (at&t)
2: droid x2 (maybe droid charge)
3: htc sensation
4: photon 4g
Im prob wrong lol
56. son37lumiere (unregistered) posted on 10 Aug 2011, 23:08 0 0
I can't believe 1 is in second place, are you kidding me? 4 is the best except for the last shot of the woman, 2 is second best.
No idea what phones they are.
58. JayRaj posted on 11 Aug 2011, 02:15 1 0
1 is definitely iPhone 4, which is guessed by the yellowish tinge. Its said that phones are of top carriers of US which means we don't have an SGS II also. 2 and 4 were comparable and 3 had horrible color production (I guess it's an HTC device. . .!)