The new Apple iPhone 5
is here! It wasn’t a shocking surprise, but rather a very solid upgrade to the existing iPhone 4S. Apple delivered on all fronts starting with a larger, 4-inch screen that’s bigger but still comfortable for one-handed use, going through 4G LTE support and ending up with the 2x more powerful Apple A6 chip and improved battery life.
All the rest got a solid update as well - the 8-megapixel camera
now comes with a sapphire lens that is more durable. And iOS 6 brings a couple of interesting new features, but if we had to narrow it down to one weakness in Apple’s well-oiled machine, it’d be exactly that - iOS seems to be lagging behind a bit in features when compared to Android and Windows Phone. Or maybe, if lag is not the exact word it’s suffering a bit from its closed nature - it seems that we’ve just grown too used to it.
There are plenty of great things about the iPhone 5, though, and we’ve summarized them all in a quick overview below. Check them out and let us know how you like what you see in the comments below.
Apple iPhone 5: all the new features
Apple iPhone 5: all the new features
1. The iPhone 5 comes with a larger, 4-inch Retina display
The new screen is 4-inches with 640 x 1136 pixels of resolution. This means the same Retina 326 ppi pixel density. It is not only larger, but also with improved color reproduction and comes with 44% better color saturation. Additionally, Apple stressed that it’s using a unique technology removing a layer of complexity, and all clues point that the new iPhone uses the in-cell technology for thinner display and more natural interaction with the content.
2. It is a taller, but not wider display, the aspect ratio is 16:9, perfect for watching videos
The taller display means a change in the aspect ration. 16:9 is the new aspect ration for the screen and it’s perfect for watching videos as most clips nowadays come in those exact dimensions.
3. The display fits more content, but is still just as comfortable for one-handed use
The new screen adds one more row of icons, but doesn’t change a bit in terms of how wide it is, so you can still comfortably grab it with one hand. The keyboard is also the same size, great for one handed typing.
4. All native apps are redesigned to fit the new larger display
Apps like Garage Band, iPhoto and Apple’s office suite including Keynote, Page and Numbers now all fit the new screen perfectly.
5. But all the rest will not scale automatically and show black bars for the extra screen space
Most other apps will need to be reworked, but they’d still work as they are now. On the downside, you’d see two big black bars instead of content for the extra space on the iPhone 5.
6. The iPhone 5 is 18% thinner and 20% lighter
The new iPhone is 0.30-inch (7.6 mm) thick and weighs only 3.95 ounces (112 grams).
7. It comes with 4G LTE
Finally, 4G LTE connectivity is on board.
8. LTE works across the globe on a single chip
And it comes in a single chip for different frequencies.
9. New A6 chip is up to 2x faster than the previous generation
It’s not yet clear what’s inside the A6 chip but given Apple’s claims that its 2x faster, we’d guess it’s Cortex A15 based and on the new 32nm architecture.
10. Same goes for graphics - 2x better
Console-like graphics are now becoming a reality on the new iPhone 5.
11. iPhone 5 battery will now last even better battery life
With all that Apple has managed to squeeze in a larger battery and the iPhone now lasts longer. Talk time is up to 8 hours on 4G LTE.
12. There is a brand new Lightning connector - it’s reversible, fits either way
And if you want to use older, 30-pin accessories Apple is selling a $29 adaptor.
13. Sapphire lens cover for camera - it’s thinner and more durable than previous cover glass
14. The new iSight camera brings panorama shooting mode
The panorama mode should include some pretty stellar processing. Apple says panoramic images are 28-megapixels in size.
15. Wideband audio
The new iPhone 5 also comes with better, wideband audio.
16. FaceTime is enabled over the cellular network (if AT&T allows it!)
17. Facebook is deeply integrated into iOS 6
You can now like apps in the App Store.
18. The new iPhone comes with iOS 6
This means all of iOS 6’s 200 new features are arriving as well.
19. Including new maps with navigation
Apple has ditched Google Maps for its own solution that includes navigation.
20. ...and flyover view
Flyover view for major cities in the world brings a truly gorgeous and extremely detailed view.
21. Siri is also better with sports, movies, eating
Siri in iOS 6 no knows facts about sports, movies and eating, but still can’t read your mind.
22. The iPhone 5 design is extremely precise
This time Apple takes pride into perfecting the design process and crafting another gem with the iPhone 5, an extremely precise design.
23. It comes in black & slate and white & silver
Departing from the mono colored white and black iPhones, the new iPhone 5 now comes in a dual-color combination.
24. The prices are the same: starting from $199 for 16GB model
25. The iPhone 5 pre-orders start on September 14th, available on September 21st
26. Are you getting it?