During the fourth quarter of 2017, YouTube took down 8.3 million videos



Google owned streaming video site YouTube announced yesterday, that it will issue a report every quarter that details how it has helped clean up its inventory of videos. Monday, it released its initial report and said that for the last three months of 2017, more than 8 million videos were removed. Most of these were spam, or contained adult content. The streamer says that this technology is helping it quickly remove "high-risk low-volume" clips that can be characterized as containing "extremist views." It also helps discover high-volume problem videos that feature spam. To show how well this machine learning is working, 6.7 million of the 8 million videos removed last quarter were first "flagged" by machines rather than humans. 76% of the 6.7 million videos were removed by YouTube before they received even one view.

YouTube says that in response to criticism that it has been slow to remove videos that violate its guidelines, it is making great progress; last year only 8% of videos flagged and removed for containing violent extremism were removed with less than 10 views. In June of last year, the machine learning was introduced, and now 50% of videos removed for violent extremism have fewer than 10 views.


Earlier this year, YouTube announced the creation of an "Intelligence Desk," adding 10,000 new content moderators. But with all of those people looking for videos that shouldn't be on the site, sometimes mistakes are made. The company has just reinstated a video from watchdog group Media Matters that reveals how some of the outrageous claims made by conspiracy theorist Alex Jones are lies. The video focused on his since retracted claim that the Sandy Hook shooting was fake.

YouTube gave Media Matters a first strike and accused it of uploading a video that features "threats, harassment, bullying, or intimidation." YouTube realized its mistake after being asked about the video by The Guardian. After reinstating the video, YouTube said that removing it was a "wrong call." You can watch the clip by clicking on the video directly below.



source: YouTube, TheGuardian

FEATURED VIDEO

10 Comments

1. Sammy_DEVIL737

Posts: 1529; Member since: Nov 28, 2016

I hope they remove more videos as there are still many clickbait, conspiracy videos lying.

2. domfonusr

Posts: 1094; Member since: Jan 17, 2014

It is good to see that they are getting rid of so much adult content, but I guess that includes all the PragerU videos, too? Censorship may yet be the death of this Republic... as a Frenchman once said many years ago, "what begins by burning books ends with burning men." God help us!

8. PenTiltoKet

Posts: 552; Member since: May 18, 2016

Agree on PragerU content. It's definitely show an alarming idea / brain wash. I also think China Uncensored is a big red flag. It's really show the channel is spreading lie. The 'Uncensored part' is really hard to swallow

3. gamehead unregistered

That much?

4. Sunbae-min

Posts: 135; Member since: Mar 25, 2018

Well that seems to be a good start. But 8 million video aren't enough there are still plenty of fake videos that must be taken down too like some fabricated historical video made up by some Japanese trolls. I usually encountered such contents and the comment section are flooded with those fascists.

5. tiara6918

Posts: 2263; Member since: Apr 26, 2012

You are a bad example of a koreaboo. I myself am as well just read my username. Japanese and Korean individuals know the issue as well but they don't make a huge fuss about it. Because in the end it will not affect their lives but only their governments will benefit from it. That's the fact.

6. worldpeace

Posts: 3135; Member since: Apr 15, 2016

Then do your part, flag those videos..

7. Planterz

Posts: 2120; Member since: Apr 30, 2012

About 1.3 million of those were just me trying to upload a Simpsons clip without it being blocked by Fox.

9. TMHKR

Posts: 202; Member since: Dec 08, 2012

The time will come when people will be literally trialed for speaking their mind...

* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.
FCC OKs Cingular's purchase of AT&T Wireless