Unable to trademark "Dash Charge" in the EU, OnePlus is apparently phasing out the name

Unable to trademark
If you watched the unveiling of the OnePlus 6 last week, you might have noticed that the company did not mention its rapid charging system Dash Charge. You might also have noticed that in the company's online store, the Dash Charge cables are now referred to as "Fast Charge." Well, there actually is a reason why OnePlus is reluctant to mention something that it once considered a major feature.

First, a little background. OnePlus first used the Dash Charge technology in 2016 with the launch of the OnePlus 3. Based on OPPO's VOOC, Dash Charge, unlike most other rapid charging systems, hikes the current rather than the voltage. This allows the OnePlus 5T to replenish 60% of its battery life in 35 minutes. However, the remaining 40% takes 45 minutes to charge. Dash Charge also requires a proprietary cable and charger; that's because the circuitry required is built into the charger to prevent the handset from turning into a hot potato while charging. It should also keep your battery around for a longer period of time.

OnePlus says that it filed to register a trademark for the Dash Charge name in the U.S. and EU back in 2016. This past March, the EU rejected the application as two companies challenged it. In the EU, a wireless audio company called Bragi, which sells Bluetooth powered earbuds under the Dash Pro name, was opposed to OnePlus' application. The second challenger was Amazon. The latter's Dash Replacement Service allows connected devices to order goods from Amazon when supplies are running low. Both companies cited "Likelihood of confusion" when they filed their opposition to OnePlus' application with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).

It seems that OnePlus would rather switch than fight. The company seems to be phasing out the use of the Dash Charge name even though nothing has changed as far as the technology is concerned.

source: EUIPO via AndroidPolice



1. worldpeace

Posts: 3135; Member since: Apr 15, 2016

Why they don't use VOOC? because they don't want people to know that they're connected to OPPO? VOOC stand for "Voltage Open Loop Multi-step Constant-Current Charging", they should try to trademark "VOLMCC charging"

2. Cat97

Posts: 2026; Member since: Mar 02, 2017

Well...that's why they don't use it, you answered your own question :)

3. Nimbus

Posts: 442; Member since: Apr 02, 2018

If they connected to oppo then what the big deal everybody know one+ borrow their design from oppo flagship under their BBK electronics firm.They could use VOOC/VOLMCC charging.

4. Nimbus

Posts: 442; Member since: Apr 02, 2018

1+ have filed it in 2016 with their 1+3 so they should had allowed for such a name,Amazon and Bragi can go to hell they can change to better name.Dash Pro doesn't even sound like a wireless bluetooth earbuds at all it sound more like a charging thing and Dash replacement service doesn't even make sense for a company replacement services.seriously 1+ invented this name before them they should allow 1+ & go for better namimg scheme rather than being reluctant.Dash charge will still known all around in asia,america & africa.Fast Charge is a generic name.Europeans should forever called it Dash Charge.

5. Sparkxster

Posts: 1260; Member since: Mar 31, 2017

Right on the mark Nimbus!

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.
FCC OKs Cingular's purchase of AT&T Wireless