How to trick your Galaxy S5 interface into becoming a Galaxy S6 one (Lollipop req'd)
posted by Daniel P. / Apr 06, 2015, 7:21 AM
Both the new Galaxy S6 and last year's Galaxy S5 sport Samsung's TouchWiz over Android 5.0 Lollipop, but the company has streamlined it further on the Galaxy S6, cleaning out the perplexing variety of options a bit, and introducing a tad less bloat. Another new thing is the inclusion of Microsoft apps out of the box. Microsoft's OneDrive cloud service, for instance, comes preinstalled on the S6, and with it arrive 115 GB of free storage for two years, pretty generous.
As usual, Samsung throws most every functionality imaginable in its TouchWiz interface, such as the Multi-Window regime, the Pop-up View mode, and so on. We also get a useful Pop-up view mode on both handsets, that can shrink the whole app interface left or right, as if you are using a handset with a much smaller screen. If you are willing to experiment a bit, though, you can make your Galaxy S5's TouchWiz over Lollipop look and feel like the one that ships with its more powerful and more expensive successor. Needless to say, you need to be rooted, and here's what you need to do:
1. Download the whole set of the Galaxy S6 TouchWiz apps, including its stock launcher. The list includes:
- TouchWizHome- AccuweatherPhone2015
2. Unzip and replace the respective old file on your Galaxy S5 in the system/app or privapp folders with the new one. Alternatively, you can flash them via TWRP;
3. If you have problems with certain widget display or resizing, download and install this Galaxy S6 font;
Now all that is left to do is install some of the default Galaxy S6 wallpapers, and your trusty Galaxy S5 will look to you like the new Galaxy S6. Well, the phone's design stays the same, but you are looking at the screen most of the time anyway.
Samsung Galaxy S5 OS: Android 6.0 Marshmallow, 5.1 Lollipop, 5.0 Lollipop, 4.4.4, 4.4.2 View Full specs
- Display 5.1" 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Camera 16 MP / 2.1 MP front
- Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 801, Quad-core, 2500 MHz
- Storage 32 GB + microSDXC
- Battery 2800 mAh(21h 3G talk time)
Samsung Galaxy S6 OS: Android 7.0 Nougat, 6.0 Marshmallow, 5.1 Lollipop, 5.0 Lollipop View Full specs
- Display 5.1" 1440 x 2560 pixels
- Camera 16 MP / 5 MP front
- Processor Samsung Exynos 7 Octa, Octa-core, 2100 MHz
- Storage 128 GB
- Battery 2550 mAh(23h 3G talk time)
Will it work on S4( android 5.0.1)?
posted on Apr 06, 2015, 7:30 AM 0
Yup it does,Just tried on my S4
posted on Apr 06, 2015, 10:20 AM 0
Thanks for the help but i manually installed the apps as i didn't have a recovery. Some of these are incredibly fast and optimised. The browser puts chrome to shame and the keyboard is really resposive. Good job samsung.
posted on Apr 07, 2015, 2:38 AM 1
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):