How to make your Android device's screen look less or more zoomed-in by changing its PPI value
The best part is, you don't have to do anything complicated to change your display's pixel density for the better. You aren't losing image quality either, although some UI elements might not scale correctly - in this case, it's the app drawer button. Still. here are the steps you need to take:
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot v1.1.3 for Windows - download here.
- Enable USB debugging on your device. And if you haven't done any modding on it before, find and install an official Windows USB driver from its manufacturer.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB cable. Then start Minimal ADB and Fastboot from the desktop shortcut. Type "adb devices" (without quotes) in the command prompt to check if adb recognizes your phone. Don't worry if you get a server or daemon error message.
- Use this pixel density calculator to find out what your device's native PPI is.
- If your connection is alright, type "adb shell wm density n" (without quotes) where "n" is the pixel density value you want to try. You can start with your screen's native value, which will probably make everything tiny. So try increasing the number from there and see where that takes you! Mind you, the change will disappear when you reboot your device.
Posts: 32; Member since: Jul 28, 2012
posted on Jan 14, 2015, 8:55 AM 5
Posts: 55; Member since: Jun 02, 2013
posted on Jan 14, 2015, 8:09 PM 0
Posts: 393; Member since: Mar 16, 2012
posted on Jan 14, 2015, 9:25 PM 0
Posts: 148; Member since: Apr 27, 2014
posted on Jan 14, 2015, 9:02 AM 2
Posts: 221; Member since: Jun 04, 2012
posted on Jan 14, 2015, 9:17 AM 1
Posts: 251; Member since: Mar 07, 2014
posted on Jan 14, 2015, 9:35 AM 0
Posts: 2147; Member since: Oct 18, 2011
posted on Jan 14, 2015, 12:15 PM 0
Posts: 854; Member since: Apr 22, 2013
posted on Jan 14, 2015, 1:41 PM 0
Posts: 346; Member since: Jun 30, 2012
posted on Jan 14, 2015, 3:34 PM 0
PhoneArena Comments Rules
A discussion is a place, where people can voice their opinion, no matter if it is positive, neutral or negative. However, when posting, one must stay true to the topic, and not just share some random thoughts, which are not directly related to the matter.
Things that are NOT allowed:
- Off-topic talk - you must stick to the subject of discussion
- Trolling - see a description
- Flame wars
- Offensive, hate speech - if you want to say something, say it politely
- Spam/Advertisements - these posts are deleted
- Multiple accounts - one person can have only one account
- Impersonations and offensive nicknames - these accounts get banned
Moderation is done by humans. We try to be as objective as possible and moderate with zero bias. If you think a post should be moderated - please, report it.
Have a question about the rules or why you have been moderated/limited/banned? Please, contact us.
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):