HTC Apache - the CDMA version of the Wizard
This week information leaked on the FCC site about new device running on Windows Mobile operating system 5.0 (Magneto) that features a sliding (from the side) full QWERTY keyboard HTC Wizard, the successor of Blue Angel (Siemens SX66). But we got exclusive information that there would be a CDMA version of Wizard, which will feature the same specs as it, but would be usable in CDMA networks; this could be viewed as the successor of the HTC Harrier (PPC-6600).
Pictures show that it has the same sliding full QWERTY keyboard. On its back it is quipped with a 1.3-megapixel camera with flash and has a camera dedicated key on its right side. The design is different, compared to the WIZ100 and WIZ200 versions of the Wizard, and has an external antenna.
- CDMA; EV-DO
- Wi-fi (802.11b,), Bluetooth (1.2) and Infra-red connectivity
- Windows Mobile 2005 (Magneto) Operating System
- Intel Bulverde 416MHz (520MHz possible) CPU
- 128MB ROM, 64MB RAM
- Java virtual machine (J2ME, CLDC1.1, MIDP2.0)
- 4.5 x 2.5 x 1 dimensions (to be confirmed)
- Horizontally sliding full QWERTY keyboard
- 1.3 mega-pixel camera with flash
- 64k 240x320 TFT LCD screen
- Mini SD Card Expansion slot
- Speaker phone
- 1300mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion battery
- Wireless Modem
Even thought we could not verify the authenticity of the information, we think that the source can be trusted and this is not just simple Photoshop work. Making analogy with HTC's previous models the Harrier (PPC-6600 CDMA) and its GSM brother the SX66, it makes sense to have CDMA version of the Wizard. According to our source, the device will be offered in September October by New Zealand's Telecom CDMA carrier. We may only speculate if and when the device will appear in the US. The previous model - the PPC-6600 is currenly offered from Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless.