Android users: Are you using a custom ROM? (poll results)
posted by Chris P. / Nov 12, 2015, 2:53 AM
PhoneArena is hardly made up by a bunch of your average Joe's, we wondered just how common custom ROMs are among you guys. So we asked.How big of a community are we talking about, though? It's definitely in the millions, though there's honestly no real way of knowing for sure. In any case, it's quite likely a tiny proportion of the gigantic Android ecosystem, which now spans billions of devices. Given how our own community here at
According to the results — and those sure surprised us — out of the 1601 voters, 43.66% of participants do use a custom ROM, which, again, was pretty unexpected. The remaining 56.34% obviously don't. Still, even after accounting for the fact that we have quite a few techies around here, and even though we know that those same techies are more engaged with our polls, we still didn't quite expect as many people to indicate they use a custom build. Sure, this isn't a representative sample, but still something to keep in mind.
Android users: Are you using a custom ROM?
I'm using default software
I'm using a custom ROM
Posts: 351; Member since: Jul 02, 2014
Using Resurrection Remix on my LG G2. Smooth and Stable AOSP experience!
posted on Nov 12, 2015, 3:12 AM 2
Posts: 245; Member since: Oct 13, 2013
Custom Rom is very useless...... If not that Google and its hundreds of partners are poor at pushing updates to its numerous devices. I don't know why a company cannot just drop 2 - 4 devices per year. And put all their focus in them.
posted on Nov 12, 2015, 3:18 AM 1
Posts: 764; Member since: Nov 05, 2013
Because prices range from $50-800 and screen sizes 3.5-6", that woud mean you exclude yourself from a marketting target to focus on something that most people dont give squat about.
posted on Nov 12, 2015, 3:43 AM 3
Though I can understand the frustration of updates, 2-4 devices are a bit extreme. Perhaps A-Z?
posted on Nov 12, 2015, 5:02 AM 0
Posts: 245; Member since: Oct 13, 2013
Nah its not! The industry is very wide now, its better to do few devices and do it well than do plenty and do rubbish. Look at OnePlus, apart from recent 'x' they had just 1 device and made more money than. Companies that had 5 devices. They had one target! Premium! And focused on it well, which has made them a successful company and arguably the most famous startup company. Its the same reason you would not reject an Oneplus Two but might reject any other startup company flagship.
posted on Nov 12, 2015, 7:39 AM 0
Posts: 613; Member since: May 16, 2013
i agree, why use custom roms made by amateurs while you can use stock roms that are created by paid engineers? who knows what kind of security holes are in these custom roms? people who play with custom roms have too much time on their hands and don't have a mobile banking account.
posted on Nov 12, 2015, 1:33 PM 0
Posts: 115; Member since: May 20, 2015
Wow.. More than I expected... I used cyanogen on my s3. Really good little bugs and very fast.. On my moto X 2nd Gen I have no reason to get a custom rom yet. But if I do, it'll be for a marshmallow style variant.
posted on Nov 12, 2015, 3:42 AM 0
Posts: 3262; Member since: Jul 22, 2014
That picture. PA is presenting custom roms as band aid solutions for android flaws. The xperia review and this. Way to go with your biases PA, you just lost a subscriber in youtube.
posted on Nov 12, 2015, 6:10 AM 3
Posts: 3960; Member since: Oct 21, 2014
Custom ROMs are a gateway to making your device updates both manufacturer and carrier independent, thus you can keep receiving Android updates whenever the carrier and/or manufacturer ends support for the device. Only downside is if your manufacturer had loads of customization in their skin, and/or multiple proprietary sensors/drivers. In which case, you're bound to run into compatibility problems here and there, some of the unique features of your device stop working, and many of the cistomization options may vanish. Thankfully, my OnePlus One doesn't suffer from any of the downsides, but I still gain the benefits :)
posted on Nov 12, 2015, 6:59 PM 0
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):