Would you buy one of the Microsoft Surface tablets?
- Would you buy one of the Microsoft Surface tablets?
516 votes (516 votes) I'd get the Windows RT Surface, because it'd be cheaper, lighter and comes with free Word, Excel and PowerPoint apps
1282 votes (1282 votes) I'd get the Windows 8 Surface, since it can run all legacy programs, has Full HD display, USB 3.0 and a stylus
420 votes (420 votes) I'll wait for the reviews of other Windows 8/RT tablets from the likes of Samsung and Asus
221 votes (221 votes) I prefer iPads
195 votes (195 votes) I prefer Android tablets
45 votes (45 votes) I'm happy with my current slate
145 votes (145 votes) Tablets are a fad, my laptop is enough
32. InspectorGadget80 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:07 9 6
NO ONE doesn't want a OVER RATED PRODUCT that looks the same every year
53. hepresearch (unregistered) posted on 19 Jun 2012, 12:22 2 9
Ummmm... apparently, some people do. Speak for yourself, and let them speak for themselves. Personally, I would never get an iPad... and I likely will not get a Windows tablet, either, unless that was the only option remaining to replace my aging desktop some day, in which case I would go on the cheap side with Windows RT if it was still only for my personal use by then.
41. gp284 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:30 8 2
Its interesting that you got 13 dislikes for your personal opinion.
54. hepresearch (unregistered) posted on 19 Jun 2012, 12:22 4 1
58. EclipseGSX posted on 19 Jun 2012, 13:55 5 0
everyone knows wendy is a troll and not really a women
61. remixfa posted on 19 Jun 2012, 14:37 1 2
its probably taco in another sub account.
at least the pic is of a cute chick. makes it more bearable.
80. hepresearch (unregistered) posted on 19 Jun 2012, 23:51 1 2
I don't care if it is a troll, not a woman, or whatever... the key here is that they, whoever they might be, used the word "prefer". The word "prefer" indicates a personal preference, and I am not going to thumb down somebody for announcing a personal preference that is actually in line with the topic of the article, anyway... yeah, it is directed primarily at the Microsoft announcement, but the voting card mentions the iPad and other Android tablets as well. So, what's all this big beef about somebody just sayin' "I prefer the iPad"? I don't care who they are... what is so wrong about having an opinion, whether dissenting or not, as long as they are writing it reasonably... and including the smiley-face at the end is NOT unreasonable...
72. GENARAL-LEVY (banned) posted on 19 Jun 2012, 17:50 0 0
85. hepresearch (unregistered) posted on 23 Jun 2012, 10:55 0 0
Does it really matter?
68. The_Godfather posted on 19 Jun 2012, 17:04 1 0
Because you don't know how to operate a real operating system lolzzzz :) ofcourse you would prefer iPad dude:)
70. CX3NT3_713 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 17:46 0 0
Lol he picks iPad, cause its more user friendly... even a child can operate it
81. tahnik posted on 20 Jun 2012, 00:22 0 1
Microsoft messed up the windows to compete with Apple...Win8 is very good for tablets but it looks weird on a pc...:(
3. cdgoin posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:12 2 0
NavisWorks & BIM software will only work on full computers.. and having a tough tablet on a jobsite will be a HUGE boost for the construction market.
4. Bluesky02 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:13 5 9
I'm sure Samsung will have better offering of Windows 8 Tab
6. jubbing posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:27 8 4
You mean just like their awesome Android offerings thus far? Oh wait...
13. protozeloz posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:34 4 6
but the Note 10.1 IS awesome! and they are the top tablet seller... just saying
15. protozeloz posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:39 2 5
top ANDROID* tablet seller
20. OptimusOne posted on 19 Jun 2012, 09:03 7 0
as long as there is no touchwiz on it I will get it
30. protozeloz posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:00 2 5
cmon TW is not that bad
33. InspectorGadget80 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:08 2 2
Hey Ray.S do you guys know anything bout NOKIA making a tablet at this time? Wouldn't mine buying theirs
35. SlimSoulja86 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:13 2 2
Samsung Omnia Tab. Lol, not bad.
39. ph00ny posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:18 0 0
They wouldn't use Omnia name for the windows device. It will be named Series x
45. jubbing posted on 19 Jun 2012, 11:04 1 0
Huh? They already use the Omnia name for Windows Phones.
50. remixfa posted on 19 Jun 2012, 11:44 0 1
that makes no sense.
Omnia IS the name of the samsung windows series.. lol.
That said, I hope they dont use it. That brand left a bad taste in my mouth.
52. ph00ny posted on 19 Jun 2012, 11:57 0 0
For the phones yes but not for Laptop/slate/PCs
They're even using the series moniker for the monitors (still waiting for the series 9 monitor to be released)
Typically series 5 for mainstream, series 7 for business, series 9 for flagship
62. remixfa posted on 19 Jun 2012, 14:39 0 0
Note phone.. Note tablet.
Omnia phone.. Omnia tablet. Makes sense to me.
Of course, they might make "Omnia" the RT version while making Series the Pro version to make an easy distinction
67. ph00ny posted on 19 Jun 2012, 16:59 0 0
Both Notes are Galaxy devices technically.
76. remixfa posted on 19 Jun 2012, 19:34 0 0
pretty much every android phone they make is called "galaxy". not much of a meaning to it. lol
82. B3BLW29 posted on 20 Jun 2012, 02:03 0 0
And once you buy they'll forget about OS related updates..
5. Suts_97 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:14 0 0
I guess its gonna be the same case for Microsoft's own tablets just like how Google Nexus products are given priority in updates.
8. jubbing posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:28 5 0
Windows 8, at least as far as I'm aware, doesn't work like Android in the updates way. In fact nothing works like Android and their updates. Apple updates all their products in one go, just as Microsoft do with Windows 7 and/or Windows Phone updates. I doubt that'll be an issue.
37. sniper1087 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:15 0 1
not true apple IOS 6 several iphone devices and ipad one wont get the update and this was stated before when the Iphone 4S came out they didnt give siri to everybody of course fragmentation started, Google releases a source code and manufacturers take long to update because of all the UIs they want to add, after the manufacturer is done then the carrier has to put all the bloatware on the phones and make sure it works before updating the phone so it takes even longer, is not android itself google updates their phones pretty fast, check how many updates the galaxy nexus had.
44. jubbing posted on 19 Jun 2012, 11:02 1 0
Performance is taken as a whole OS, not just one part of it. With iOS 6, we're not saying the iPad 1 isn't getting it so fragmentations started. I'm saying the current devices who ARE getting it can update to it right away as soon as it is out.
Don't get me started on fragmentation on Android, because it's not a pretty picture. How many hundreds of phones won't ever get ICS? That's not the point I'm trying to get across.
60. sniper1087 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 14:23 0 0
I take your point but the fact that google has the nexus devices that they update because OEMs tend to put all their crap on them and makes them harder to update, really at this point updates dont matter much, as long as your device can operate the way it is supposed to most people will be happy with it. Updates are ok but if we check ios most of the pdates were incremental, not mind blowing except for ios 5. Anyways windows did step up with this tablet, and i can see a winner here, definitely getting the pro version, finally a tablet that can operate as a pc with x86 applications
7. TrainFromUkraine posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:28 3 0
Too many unknowns at this moment to make a decision. Final specs, battery life, and price are important to know before I'd consider buying one.
9. jubbing posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:29 0 0
True.. I'm curious to see how much Microsoft will sell this at. I'm sure they can afford to price it a little lower than other OEM's. But if it's too expensive I may not consider buying one in the future, maybe just stick with iPads.
10. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:31 2 0
One area MSFT does not get is consumer pricing .....the RT tablet will be more than $500 (unit cost +licence) and this is in the 32GB ipad territory which is a put off since RT is not the full windows experience ...the Pro is too expensive for a tablet and its better off you get a i5 laptop at a cheaper....considering this a nexus tablet or a ipad2 will be the overall possible winners this year ........if msft doesn not fix prices they will make another "kin"
11. protozeloz posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:33 1 0
I think people might need to look forward some other details before taking a choice but MS needs to learn from the other dead products.
1. It need a competitive price, not just average , we have asus transformer for around $400 and the nexus tablet for $200 so they need a price that's competitive
2. I needs to be out this summer ot it will give other companies time to improve their devices making the release of this one less popular
3. It needs to be competitive (at least the arm version) in terms of apps and usability, people need a reason to buy this over the transformer or the Galaxy Note 10.1 ot the Galaxy tab 2
4. office must be impressive, remember Google bought quick office, witch means they are working on making an office suite totally integrated with drive and full of the basic features your average uses needs (I can see them adding more and more support for Google Docs giving QO the features it was lacking)
12. cocote177 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:34 3 0
I just want that type of tablet: an extremely portable device that can run full versions of popular softwares available in the market: like MS Office, Autocad, among others. That could be a revolution at the bussiness and education market.
16. protozeloz posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:41 0 0
you can us Autocad on current both iPad and android tablets.... and office is rumored to come to the android market as well as others
21. wsucoug13 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 09:09 1 0
barely use Autocad, still need laptop to really be efficient.
36. protozeloz posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:14 0 0
will have to see if by the time this comes developers have already created much competitive versions for current tablets...
74. arqjav posted on 19 Jun 2012, 19:08 0 0
You can used it to just check some minor details on your file not make big changes and you cannot make new files neither can you import export files,the app is barely for showing info.
18. thunderising posted on 19 Jun 2012, 08:57 1 0
$109 7" (capacitive) Android tablet with ICS pre-installed.
Runs lag-free, plays 2160p videos, plays almost every game out there.
Why would I possibly want anything else?
22. poddey posted on 19 Jun 2012, 09:10 0 0
I like how you can have it propped up with the built-in kickstand and close it by just flipping up the cover.
I think after the 'must have' iPad, the Surface is going to be a must have gadget to own purely because of the smart keyboard touch cover. :)
24. poddey posted on 19 Jun 2012, 09:12 1 0
I replaced my desktop with a laptop. Now I'll replace my laptop with a Surface. :D
38. SlimSoulja86 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:17 0 0
The problem with the keyboard is that u can't put in on yo lap and type. But this is one hell of a slate. Luv it. This is what I call, revolutionary, just my own opinion, I'm not speaking for anybody here.
23. PAPINYC (limited) 3 days ago posted on 19 Jun 2012, 09:10 0 1
As much as I would have loved a "Full" and working Windows tablet 7 years ago, after their Windows Mobile 5, 6, 6.1, 6.5, 7.0 disasters and not to mention their now defunct Windows Market for Windows Mobile 6+, I'll pass (initially). I can't imagine their being even apps available for these tablets except, of course, Microsoft proprietary products, i.e., Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Silverlight, etc. Oh, and lest we not forget BING (cuz' everybody I know uses that)!!!
Remember, there are people still out there with Windows Mobile phones that have never been able to play Angry Birds (Basic).
Yes, Steve Ballmer, we love you!
40. SlimSoulja86 posted on 19 Jun 2012, 10:20 0 0
Ah! I thinking Pro edition will be just like yo laptop or desktop, it's not like iOS wher u only need App Store to download apps. U don't need an App Store to download apps on yo PC. Unless if ur talking about the RT version.
26. pistolashtc posted on 19 Jun 2012, 09:30 0 3
I've "the new iPad", but for sure this one its better... But, i still like the iPad. For web browsing and a few apps and movies its perfect.