Update 4 with picture: LG VX9700 is Verizon’s PRADA-like phone

Posted: , by FAUguy

This article contains unofficial information.

Update 4 with picture: LG VX9700 is Verizon’s PRADA-like phone
Documents on the FCC site indicate that a new LG phone successfully passed the tests of the Commission. The LG VX9700 (VX means Verizon, doesn’t it?), is rumoured to be the variant of the manufacturer’s very popular PRADA phone. Similar to the Vu for AT&T, it won’t wear the fashion branding but will have a large touch display in slim body. Verizon already offers an LG touch phone, the Voyager, but it adds extra weight and size because of the clamshell design, dual displays, and full QWERTY.

Still, this information is not confirmed as the phone is not officially announced. Expect more updates in the future.

*Update 1* Sources are saying the VX9700 Dare is expected to be released in late Q2 (May-June) or early Q3 (July)
*Update 2* According to another of our sources, the camera is 3.2 mega pixels.
*Update 3* The 3.2MP camera uses a Schneider Kreuznach lens to provide higher quality pictures. On the left side of the phone is the microUSB port and on the right side is the microSDHC memory card slot. For text messaging, you can enter text by using T9 predictive, multi tap, or on-screen QWERTY.
*Update 4* Thanks to our source for providing us with an image of the VX9700 showing the Main Menu.

LG VX9700 Preliminary Specs

To see the full list of the upcoming Verizon phones and their expected availability dates, go to Verizon Upcoming Phones page.

Update 4 with picture: LG VX9700 is Verizon’s PRADA-like phone

In case anyone has any more interesting pics/info to share, please email us.

source: FCC

posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:41

1. T-HUFF (unregistered)

NOT REALLY NECESSARY UNLESS ITS GOING TO BE BETTER THAN THE VOYAGER, IM NOT MUCH OF A FAN AT ALL OF THE WHOLE TOUCH SCREEN THING BUT THE RIGHT PHONE COULD CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE....WE SHALL SEE.

posted on 19 May 2008, 16:27

it will be awesome if it comes out soon if not poor verizon

posted on 30 Jun 2008, 17:27

its comes out on july 3rd (thursday)

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 10:26

2. JOMama (unregistered)

^ lol But honestly, this is TOO late. when the prada came out it was cool, then the Viewty came out... Verizon is too slow.

posted on 06 Aug 2008, 18:25

Well, LG released the Prada phone, saw how popular it was, released the Viewty, which is another LG to look like the Prada but be less expensive, then they released this, which is again supposed to look like the Prada/Viewty but be less expensive

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 11:03

3. Adam (unregistered)

okay?? first of all it would not be too late for verizon to get the prada..... and even if it was this phone is prada like! there is definately going to be changes with in the phone itself. so dont jump the gun on a phone being too late before any information is released! and this phone will appeal to different people than the voyager so it is necessary! aand like verizon has said before they will be releaseing many phones to compete with the Iphone, so this is just another option for those on the VZW network!

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 11:37

sweet! can't wait. probably will take ages to be officially announced and realeased tho...

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 12:50

5. LordObento (unregistered)

I was reading that it might have a 3 MP shooter on it. I'm hoping they put MediaFLO on it too.

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 13:26

6. JC (unregistered)

Like post #3 said, Verizion is way to slow with new phones and inovation, thank you Get it Now! I love the Verizon network but I go to sleep every night wishing that Verizon had a more invovative approach when it comes to their phones instead of chasing the market one.

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 13:40

doubtful, since when does verizon actually have awesome phones? ive been with verizon for years, and they have always disappointed me with their models, so i have to doubt this phone is going to be with verizon

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 14:07

From what I have read, Verizon is working on having more innovative phones. One thing that people forget is that Verizon has high expectations of their service and equipment. Phones must pass the Verizon standards before they are allowed on the network. With that being said, I personally can appreciate waiting for cool phones to come out as long as the phones work. I left AT&T because the service sucked. The only good phone out is the Iphone and the Voyager. I prefer the Voyager because of the user experience and now the prada is coming? Nice....

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 14:25

9. elgee02 (unregistered)

I am surprised to see a VZW article on here that doesn't already have his VZW haterade spilled all over the place. The dude has an obsession. Anyways regarding the phone, I'm pretty curious to see this one myself.

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 16:21

10. George (unregistered)

I agree Verizon can be a little slow with the newest phones, but once they are out, they are usually GREAT. This phone will be more fashionable, thinner, and a nice alternative to the Voyager. I just hope they name it right. (Oh, and it probably is a Verizon phone since all the verizon phones are VX; no other company has that for their LG phones.) GO VERIZON!

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 17:38

11. DeebEe (unregistered)

Lol dude, old phone, very very disgusting touch ... who cares about the name?!

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 17:49

12. Horporoka (unregistered)

Actually, I think Telus (Canada) uses the VX name for there LG phones, too. Someone checkwww.telus.ca

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 17:52

13. Totoroka (unregistered)

No, Telus doesn't even use letters for the names, just the numbers. So the Chocolate is the 8500.

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 20:55

14. Mike (unregistered)

the Prada is pretty old, but it is said to be LIKE the Prada, not exactly the same thing. Who knows, maybe Verizon will change it and add new features, maybe a 3 megapixle-5 for it, saying as American phones don't usually have it. It is still a good addition to Verizon's line up tho.

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 22:49

15. sinfulta (unregistered)

It's all about choice... I don't understand why people still think Verizon has terrible phones? Have they seen there lineup lately? Some of the coolest and nicest phones in the industry with a huge selection to choose from. Like I said it's all about choice... So another option that appeals to a certain kind of person no matter what it is , is good for everyone.

posted on 08 Mar 2008, 12:39

16. LAWLitsBob (unregistered)

@Elgee02 Youre such a hypocrite its not even funny. Youre complaining about someone else hating on VZW when you always complain on Engadget about AT&T damnit! Back on topic, this is a nice phone! But isnt kinda sorta similar to the Vu?

posted on 08 Mar 2008, 15:16

17. elgee02 (unregistered)

Lawlitsbob, you are dead wrong. While I post on engadgetmobile quite often any AT&T hating I do is 95% of the time in defense of some mindless VZW hating. I don't post on articles about AT&T phones just to talk crap like steviecrackboy does on this site. I'm not a hater ;-)

posted on 08 Mar 2008, 15:59

18. Prada (unregistered)

I work for Verizon Wireless and yes we are getting this phone, it's scheduled for 3/31 but when I spoke with LG rep she adviced me it will probably be the middle of April. For all you PRADA lovers, this phone will unfortunately not have the PRADA logo in it. sowy and peace out. OH yeah there's also the samsung Glyde coming and it's amazing. :)

posted on 08 May 2008, 15:08

Well it is now almost mid May. I don't think Verizon will make the March release date. Upon checking with Verizon, they have no knowledge regarding the 9700. Marketing by cell phone providers is just bewildering and totally not understandable on any level.

posted on 28 May 2008, 18:33

estimated release on this is looking around july. My director has one o fthe test phones and i'veplayed with it. It's very very sweet!

posted on 08 Mar 2008, 18:32

19. GO.VERIZON! (unregistered)

I hope you are right...if you have any other info, can you post it...will this phone and the Glyde be cheaper than the Voyager? Verizon is finally getting a better line up.

posted on 08 Mar 2008, 18:49

20. someone (unregistered)

Prada: if you have any info about the VX9700, can you please send it to PA so they can publish it?

posted on 08 Mar 2008, 19:10

21. Prada (unregistered)

Hey guys. I can see that you are all as exited as I am for the new LG(prada) and Samsung Glyde. To answer both your questions: First, I doubt the price will be cheaper than the voayger, however the discounts are going to be good, the price is not final so I can't really tell you yet. Another good phone coming to VZW is the trouch, yes I have played with it at the Verizon Wireless sales kick off. Be ready for more upcoming surprises.

posted on 08 Mar 2008, 22:14

22. Gib (unregistered)

My favorite part is how there is an ATT ad for some crap-ass free phone next to this probably $300 contract Verizon phone.

posted on 09 Mar 2008, 13:59

So prada, how soon can we expect some suprises (such as the touch :D)?

posted on 09 Mar 2008, 21:15

24. matrix2004 (unregistered)

Will the 9700 have a 3 inch screen and Mobile TV and a flash enbaled browser?

posted on 10 Mar 2008, 13:21

25. BIGGER AND BETTER (unregistered)

I work for VZW too... before you post any information, please know that you should learn how to speel before trying to stand ground. and wit is "sowy" come on. Go back to school. However this illerate person is correct. We are getting or version of the Prada and the Glyde as well.

posted on 10 Mar 2008, 14:20

26. Go Guy (unregistered)

This is to mr bigger and better... you must not be a sports fan or a team fan for that matter... have you ever yeard Tom Brady calling one of his wide outs a retard for not speaking correctly? NO but you do hear him give them congrats on a good catch! So instead of jumping on your own teams back... the rest of us that work for verizon support prada and thank him for his early insight!

posted on 10 Mar 2008, 15:52

27. DOUG (unregistered)

I FIND IT AMUSING WHEN SOMEONE COMPLAINS ABOUT BAD SPELLING, THEN DOESN'T SPELL CHECK THEIR OWN WORK WHAT A YUTZ. MY CONTRACT IS COMING UP IN A FEW MONTHS, SO I AM FAIRLY HAPPY ABOUT THE OPTIONS THAT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE. IT SEEMS TO BE A PRETTY GOOD TIME TO BE A VERIZON CUSTOMER, AS LONG AS WE AREN'T GETTING THE SAME RUMORS ABOUT THE SAME PHONES SIX MONTHS FROM NOW.

posted on 10 Mar 2008, 18:00

28. mb (unregistered)

i heard it would be a summer/fall release?!? no. earlier the better tho.

posted on 10 Mar 2008, 20:43

29. cantwait (unregistered)

I work at vzw as well...cant wait for the vx9700..I heard the Glyde is not good at all, but I am looking forward to trying it as well and the LG...wish it was the true PRADA though!

posted on 11 Mar 2008, 09:26

30. Zune Lune (unregistered)

I am thrilled about both the Touch and VX9700. Will the VX9700 have WM? I have been delaying my upgrade for the touch, but would really rather have an LG WM phone.

posted on 11 Mar 2008, 11:32

31. elgee02 (unregistered)

LG has no intentions (yet) of entering the smartphone/PDA market. I love LG's but if you want WM then wait for the touch or XV6900, I played with one and it is sick!

posted on 11 Mar 2008, 11:46

32. Zune Lune (unregistered)

That is odd because I believe that the Prada runs WM 6.0, so hey are already in the smartphone market. Will the VX9700 run on WAP on the same internet connection speeds as the Voyager and Venus, or faster like the data plan phones (Palm Treo line)?

posted on 11 Mar 2008, 12:40

33. elgee02 (unregistered)

I'm no expert on the Prada, but I could have sworn when I saw the video walkthrough on it's interface it was it's own LG made interface, not WM6. Anyways I speak with LG reps on a monthly basis and they don't mention any plans to launch a smartphone, at least not in the US. If this VX9700 is indeed a touch screen, expect it to have a similar interface to the Voyager.

posted on 11 Mar 2008, 20:14

34. matrix2004 (unregistered)

Hey Zune Lune, The LG PRADA is not a PDA, it has the LG software similar to the Voyager. The LG KS20 is the LG pda your thinking of. Its designed similar to the Prada. The there's the next gen PRADA called the LG Viewty and the new regular, Silver LG PRADA.

posted on 12 Mar 2008, 10:53

35. Dom (unregistered)

If you knew much about verizon then you would know that the Voyager is their flagship phone. Look at the history, the enV was their flagship phone for the longest time and is still avaliable. There is no way that they are going to replace the voyager just yet, I mean i just came out in November. Second off from what i've heard this phone is going to be in the middle of the enV and voyager. Think of it as a slimmer enV with a larger external and internal screens. I've seen pics but forget where i found them. If i find them i will for sure post. But please don't think that a Viewty like phone is coming. That's why we got the Voyager in the first place. And when and if we ever get a phone like that it will be numbered higher than 9700 because the Voyager is 10000 and Viewty comes standard wtih a 5mp cam. sooo the number will be much higher. Thanks hope all this was useful.

posted on 12 Mar 2008, 14:31

36. Prada (unregistered)

WOW. I can't believe Bigger and Better has personally attacked my spelling. I guess now I am going to have to carefully check what I post. I used "sowy" in a baby way to butter up those who want the Prada name in this new LG phone. I appologize for being nice.... Now for the answer to #23's question; the Touch should be coming by the end of this month as per HTC's internal information.... P.s. Bigger and Better, I only had one word misspelled, on the other hand you had three. Thank you very much illerate person.

posted on 12 Mar 2008, 18:49

#36 Prada: any word on when the VX9700 may be avail? I've heard from middle of april to somewhere in september to november time frame...

posted on 12 Mar 2008, 22:50

38. matrix2004 (unregistered)

OK, i'm confused. Dom you're saying the 9700 is like the Env but slimmer and with bigger external and internal screens? I thought the 9700 was like the Prada and has no internal screen or qwerty?

posted on 18 May 2008, 17:37

The 9700 is like the prada and the qwerty keyboard can be changed on the touchscreen to normal.

posted on 12 Mar 2008, 23:11

39. Dom (unregistered)

i've head news of a slimmer enV coming but have done further research that it may be the lg vx9100, so indeed the 9700 may be a viewty variant, we're all stumped by rumors and speculations, also and update chocolate is coming with a detachable bluetooth on the back. Also not to mention the best pic of the Glyde i've seen so far is right here. http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/03/12/verizons-samsung-glyde-gets-even-clearer/ I'm currently a voyager and don't mind it's larger size because of my larger hands. i think it's a great phone and does everthing the ways it should. i'm curious to see how and if the 9700 can improve on this and also the Glyde.

posted on 13 Mar 2008, 12:07

40. shepoopee (unregistered)

verizon is pretty gay but sometimes they do come out with good phones ... but the voyager was never really intended for competing wth the iphone it was jsut another phone which was created for the people who like spending alot of money for the latest stuff but in actuality they jus created it to stall for the real thing

posted on 13 Mar 2008, 21:48

41. matrix2004 (unregistered)

So maybe the real thing is the 9700.

posted on 13 Mar 2008, 22:09

42. matrix2004 (unregistered)

It's confirmed. The vx9700 will have a on-screen qwerty for texting.http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=10800450&postcount=63

posted on 14 Mar 2008, 22:13

43. Dom (unregistered)

Hey there again, i know i might have stired some confusion. Sorry about that, but the good news is that i did mess up the 9100 (enV2) with the 9700. So my appolgies to you and here is a link to the 9100 photo shoot. For anyone curious and who loves the candybar/clamshell form factor. http://www.engadgetmobile.com/photos/lg-env2-motorola-w755-in-glorious-detail/699029/ I don't know about anyone else but i'm not digging the non-5-way directional pad. Well that's all fow now.

posted on 14 Mar 2008, 22:26

44. LordObento (unregistered)

I really doubt that the 9700 will come out in April. Some state that most phones that hit FCC take 3+ months to come to market. This will be more of a June 08 phone. The speculation has gone crazy here. There hasnt been any leaked pics yet, there hasn't been any official pics yet like we see with the 9100, and there hasn't been a rep that says they see it in their screens that give a release date.

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 13:03

the glyde will be cheaper than the voyager. it doesnt have the extra TV functionality. Im guessin probably like 20-30 cheaper, 50 at most. The "prada" like phone, depending on the type of touch screeen it uses (voyager like, or iphone like) could be like 50 cheaper up to the same price. pay a premium for the thinness.

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 14:42

woah, that main menu looks awesome for a VZW feature phone!

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 15:20

47. hmmm (unregistered)

the question now is....do i get the u940 or do i wait to see what this will be all about HMMMM¤¤¤

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 15:33

48. EE (unregistered)

Wow ... I'm sooooo surprised that Verizon is coming up with this kind of phone. Finally Verizon decided to get with the program?!? =D Is all in black following this silver/black version? Looking forward to seeing more pic.

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 18:59

Can someone please confirm the material of the screen? Are we stuck with plastic or are we getting GLASS?!

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 21:28

50. GO LG (unregistered)

So im so stoked for this phone. Iwant the lg voyager , and my friend just got one, and i always want a phone no one has yet at my school so im so ready for it and also my birthday is in may and if it does come in april I might just have to get, and im excited about the touch screen qwerty keyboard also imy first phone was and lg and i loved it then i went to samsung u740 it has problems, so cant wait for it.

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 21:49

51. dante (unregistered)

This phone will not make it b4 summer.

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 22:10

@ 53 - I have to agree. If this phone makes it out before June I will be totally shocked! I am guessing for a JUN - AUG launch

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 22:42

53. matrix2004 (unregistered)

Hey 'ewill', #7 posted that before the pic was leaked.

posted on 15 Mar 2008, 22:58