x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Hidden picShow menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Research shows T-Mobile carried out 45% of Nokia's Q4 2013 Lumia sales in the US

Research shows T-Mobile carried out 45% of Nokia's Q4 2013 Lumia sales in the US

Posted: , by Luis D.


Research shows T-Mobile carried out 45% of Nokia's Q4 2013 Lumia sales in the US

T-Mobile, the un-carrier, and Nokia, the un-derdog. Somewhere, somehow, the two were bound to strike a beautiful friendship. A research from Kantar Worldpanel shows that 45% of Nokia's Q4 2013Lumia sales in the US were brokered by the nation's fourth-largest carrier. 68% of Nokia phones sold at the time were made up by the low-end Lumia 520 and 521, which shows the Finns' cheaper offerings are in demand inside the budget market. The other 32% are filled by Nokia's top-shelf Lumia 925, 928, 1020, and 1520 smartphones.

Further research by Kantar reveals that 9 million Americans prefer Nokia phones, whilst 39 million consider them. Outside the US, it appears 57 million Chinese consumers vouch for Nokia, while 123 million consider them. However, it's not clear how many of the surveyed consumers think of Nokia in terms of its Windows Phone-driven Lumia handsets, and how many simply recall that time they used to have a Symbian phone. One has to wonder how the eventual omitting of the Nokia brand from its smartphones after its Microsoft acquisition will impact consumer awareness.

source: Kantar (Twitter) via WMPowerUser

  • Options

posted on 24 Jan 2014, 08:29 4

1. akki20892 (Posts: 3847; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)

520 sold more because lower price, and Nokia losses revenue because price is below than actual price that make revenue.

posted on 24 Jan 2014, 08:51 2

2. ihavenoname (Posts: 1668; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)

They are trying to make sales numbers big as possible any way they can. 520/525 actually is profitable, but margin is insanely low. They sell well for low price, decent build quality, good price-value ratio and most of all, for Nokia brand. Microsoft has to remove Nokia name at some point (if I'm right, at least 2017), and though Lumia name is known, no doubt that losing the Nokia name will have huge impact on sales.

posted on 24 Jan 2014, 09:16

3. nokia12 (Posts: 452; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)

lumia 520 doesn't make profit for them .. it was being sold at a loss... to gain market share... lumia 520 carries a 20$ licencing fees as well.. the fact that no OEM AFTER 1 YEAR till now has been able to pull off those specs even remotely close to that price 70$.. the closest one is xperia m .. which is 200$ .. even local Chinese can't produce a smartphone like that for that price.. it was even sold for 50$ for sometime... 50-20= 30$ are you kidding me that soc dual core krait itself costs 25$ ...

posted on 24 Jan 2014, 09:22

4. nokia12 (Posts: 452; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)

and I haven't even counted overheads yet.. like marketing,taxes,R&D .. only a fool would think lumia 520 is sold at a profit for 70$... the dual core krait with adreno 305 was a mid range chip when it launched , it was not a low end chip

posted on 24 Jan 2014, 11:55 1

7. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 864; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)

More market share = more of a reason for devs and companies to make apps for it. Not a bad move for Nokia to make for the cause, especially knowing full well that Microsoft was buying their handset division out.

The only downside to the plan is that they don't sell enough high end phones at enough of a profit to cancel out the losses they'll be incurring.

posted on 24 Jan 2014, 09:58 1

5. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10208; Member since: 14 May 2012)

T-Mobile reps push people away from WP8 devices unless they know they want one. This comes as a surprise to me.

posted on 24 Jan 2014, 20:24 3

9. -box- (Posts: 3984; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)

Even more reasons T-Mobile should get their own versions of flagship Lumias, like the 1020 and 1520. 925 is all well and good (I'm using mine to write this), but had I the choice I'd have gotten the 1020 instead.

posted on 25 Jan 2014, 12:11

12. NateAdam8 (Posts: 388; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)

Yes I agree you cause T-Mobile would be great with those devices and not watered down versions like cutting the memory in half or a cheap Lumia either but if I had a choice I'd pick the Lumia 929 aka Lumia Icon.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories