Here’s the (almost) full list of 200 new features on iOS 6
- Sports scores (baseball, basketball, football, hockey, soccer)
- Italian Serie A
- English Premier League
- French Ligue 1
- Spanish la Liga
- Dutch Eredivisie
- German Bundesliga
- NCAA Football
- NCAA Basketball
- Sport player stats
- Sport team rosters
- Sports league standings
- Sports game schedule
- Updated restaurant searches (type, price, Yelp reviews, distance, map, hours, phone number)
- OpenTable reservations for restaurants
- Movie listings per theatre
- Rotten Tomato moview reviews
- Movie facts
- Movie trailers
- Search by actor/actress
- Launch apps
- Send Tweet
- Update Facebook status
- Listen to notifications
- Eyes Free car integration (in the next year)
- International language and local search (Canada, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Korean, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China)
- Siri for iPad (new iPad only)
- Single sign-on
- Share from Photos, Safari, Maps, App Store, iTunes, Game Center
- Public API for developers
- Contact and Calendar integration
- Reply to incoming calls with message (preset or custom) or save reminder (timed or geofenced)
- Do not disturb toggle with fine-grain phone call exceptions, schedules, or allowing repeat calls
- Facebook and Twitter compose buttons
- Available over cellular
- Apple ID unified with phone number, enabling FaceTime or iMessage answering on iPad or Mac
- iCloud Tabs for Safari on other iOS devices and Macs
- Offline Reading List
- Photo uploads
- Smart App banners link to App Store or launches
- Fullscreen video in landscape
- Shared Photo Streams with designated friends, includes comments
- Photo Stream pictures in Mac screensaver
- Photo Stream now a separate tab, not another album
- VIPs - designated contacts cause notifications, e-mails flagged with stars, separate inbox
- Flagged mailbox
- Attach photos in-line
- Open password-protected Office docs
- Per account signatures
- Fun new pull-to-refresh animation
- Barcode collection for boarding passes, store cards, coupon, movie tickets
- Pops up on lock screen when you arrive
- Includes up-to-date-balance
- Boarding passes update with gate changes
- Cute deletion animation
- Disable certain app interactions with a circle
- Limit hardware buttons, touch, and motion control access
- Single-app mode
- Local search with 100 million business listings with Yelp reviews and pictures
- Crowd-sourced traffic data with incident reports
- Free turn-by-turn navigation with alternative route offers based on faster ETA
- Navigation viewable from lock screen
- Siri integration, finds spots along your route
- Flyover (3D buildings)
- Multitouch rotation, angle change, and zoom
- Powered by TomTom
- Pinch-out in maps goes to globe view
- Game Center sync with OS X
- Cross-platform turn-based and realtime gaming between iOS and Mac
- Issue challenges to friends
- Find Facebook friends
- Audio and video sampling during playback
- Pass Kit
- Rich text on labels, fields, and text views
- VoiceOver gestures
- Control camera focus and exposure
- Remote Web Inspector
- CSS filters
- Action Sheer
- Web Audio API
- Crossfade with CSS animation
- Game Center in-app experience
- Video stabilization
- Game groups
- Bluetooth MAP support
- Transit apps
- In-app Bluetooth pairing
- Face detection API
- Inter-app audio
- Frame drop data
- Map Kit
- Auto layout
- State preservation
- Pull to refresh on Table views
- In-app purchase hosted content
- Read and write image metadata
- Collection views
- In-app content purchases
- Multi-route audio
- Location-based reminders for iPad
- Autocorrection for every keyboard
- Global network proxy for HTTP
- Manual reorder of reminders
- Lost Mode - send a phone number to lost device which can be called with single tap
- Kernel ASLR
- Manual location entry for reminders
- Custom vibrations for alerts
- VoiceOver improvements
- App in Safari search results
- IPv6 support for Wi-Fi and LTE
- HDR improvements
- French, German, and Spanish dictionaries
- Word highlights for speak selection
- Search all fields in Contacts
- New iPad Clock app
- Improved keyboard layouts
- Made for iPhone hearing aids
- Top title bar changes color with app
- New dialer layout
- New iPod app
- Granular privacy control
- iCloud-stored user dictionary
- Updated sharing menu with large icons
- Music ringtones
- Redesigned App Store and iTunes
- iTunes Match now streams music (rather than just download)
- Sina Weibo
- Improved text input
1. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
more than 70% of those are found on Android/Symbian and other platforms already or not needed.
iOS 6 is really a disappointment. no matter what hardware the iPhone 5 holds, the software is already a big let down for me.
29. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3224; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Android fans will do anything to try and make their devices feel more important.
41. sid07desai (Posts: 245; Member since: 03 May 2012)
maybe iOS 10 will be close enough but still not better than Ice cream sandwich
44. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
and there is another update for android coming soon
31. Dadler22 (Posts: 161; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
but here is the difference, it will actually work on the iPhone
38. atree (Posts: 24; Member since: 20 May 2011)
apple stole the notifaction center from andriod, the access to the camera and texts on the unlock screen and they even use google maps.... ha!
not to mention with andriod 2.3 you can send a text to someone automatically when they call you if you can pick up(like hey im at work)
42. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
Actually on ios 6 maps will be tomtom powered.. ;)
I dont know or care where apple gets their ideas but I am no apple fanboy either I think both android and ios are good and I own both powred devices.. I did like the app store of ios better then androids store though.
52. dv220s (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Aug 2012)
The access to the camera from lock screen was stolen from Windows Phone. Both OSes still haven't gotten it right because with Windows, you don't even need to turn the phone screen on. You just press the camera button and boom it works
54. darkkjedii (Posts: 10123; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Google stole android from apple so there.
43. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
a lot of the features where already available with jailbreak as well.. with 3G un restrictor I have been able to facetime on a 3G connection for quite some time and a lot of the other features as well
49. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
where there any features you where really hoping apple wold add?
2. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) (Posts: 535; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
COPYING ANDROID....APPLE THE XEROX....
3. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
WOW! So exciting! are these the new Android 1.6 Donut features???
26. christianqwerty (Posts: 460; Member since: 05 May 2011)
WOW! You are so original!! I've haven't seem that comment yet!!!!!!
You should post it on ever IOS 6 post!!!! Oh wait...
30. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3224; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Such a wonderful and thoughtful comment. Give the guy a biscuit.
4. Utorak (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
Fun New PULL-TO-REFRESH animation. WOW. Wow seriously? Every social networking app in the market has it. Why would that be even listed in their crappy small update log?
5. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
I think what irks me the most, is that, Apple spends so much time suing everyone over copying their ideas, then turns around and release their "new" iOS6 and almost everything on it is already a function on my phone. Apple = Hypocrite.
6. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
it's apple, what do you expect? fair competition from them?
28. Lucas777 (Posts: 2121; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
the thing is apple only sues over things they have a patent for... im sorry google either doesnt/cant patent android designs, but legally apple is not being overly hypocritical... in reality they are, but at least the copies seem to improve and grow upon whatever the original was
50. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
it looks like apple is trying to get rid of most if not everything from google :/
7. Xquisite (Posts: 87; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
There will now be 5 pages of people bitching about apple copying android.
Shut the f**k up with that. On every iOS 6 article on phonearena, that's all you guys do. I'm actually interested in reading what Apple fans think, not how much Apple copies Android.
9. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Exactly. Everyone needs to quit complaining about who copied who and what came out "first". If you don't like Apple thats fine don't buy their products.
13. pandamaja (Posts: 16; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
We have to put up with this s**t on just about every samsung article. So yeah...
51. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
I love android and ios and I think this update is pretty good.. there are 200 extra features and the main ones that apple did mention will be good to see in action, tomtom powered 3D maps as well as do not disturb where you can chose who can ring you, also facetime over a 3G connection will be good but the problem is not many carriers offer a decent amount of monthly data, i hope this will change soon with more and more need for 3G - LTE data that hopefully the next iphone will support. Its a shame that the iphone 4 wont get all the updates but thats not surprising since its the 3rd major ios update, is there anything you where hoping for that apple did not add? I still really wish apple would enable bluetooth file transfer
8. PackMan (Posts: 277; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
@xquisite I think maybe you mixed things up. Actually its the steve jobs zealots who bitch about other companies copying craapl.
10. saeen (Posts: 17; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Android and iOS, I own both. So I am really not into comparing thing. Android is what it is and do iOS. Every OS is unique in itself. Poor people compare cause they can't buy both and keep showing that they got cheap thing which is better.
27. jy20051992 (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
i own iOS and symbian .i am a proud owner rather than been a customized owner. i like both the OS .
i agree with you that those peoples compare everything which dont have anything
11. Nocturne (Posts: 24; Member since: 21 May 2012)
This really seems more like iOS 5.3 (or 5.5 to be generous) rather than an entire 6.0 upgrade.
Disappointing to be honest. Windows phone, Android and even BB10 within the past year have all gone through MAJOR UI changes, yet for iOS there have been no major UI changes recently, arguably ever.
This year seemed like the chance to shut all haters and doubters up, but apple have just added a few extra features to some of its apps,generally done bug fixes and added apps that already existed, but made them included with release rather than having to download them later. (this is referred to as bloat ware on other Os's)
Features from iOS are taken from Android, RIM and Windows phone, but all mentioned above are EQUALLY guilty.
The reason I believe people complain about apple is because of the companies mentioned above, it is the one that is litigating more than it is innovating in the past year or so.
Apple's marketing is amazing and the next iphone will still sell in boatloads. Interest in apple products may not be dwindling, but the reaction to the Lumia, the sales of the SGS3 and the high expectations of Windows 8, and arguably BBX, really does show that the the common consumer is noticing its competitors much much more.
Who cares which OS is the best, It has shifted in the past, and it will shift again in the future.
Competition benefits the consumer and that's what should matter to us isnt it?
17. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Well said. Let each company come out with its best products and let the consumers decide. If you make a great (or weak) product people will respond.
You could argue all day about widgets and live tiles and so forth but does it really matter? If widgets are really a deal breaker than iOS isn't for you. No big deal.
When did simple consumersism become so personal?
12. bbblader (Posts: 575; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
lol and I thought that symbian copying android was dumb
now ios copyed both of them
14. krdawg10 (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
Anyone want iOS 6 beta for $5 iMessage
Let him know Kyle sent you works awesome
15. beillax (Posts: 23; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm extremely excited for the new Siri options. It needed sports scores, stats and updates from the get go.
16. theBankRobber (Posts: 645; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Im a fan of android but the Siri listen to notifications feature is actually cool, great to use while driving .
18. akita256 (Posts: 80; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
No new keyboard(s), huh?? How disappointing.
19. rasinhussy (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 Dec 2008)
Siri needs NASCAR stats or it's a deal breaker for me.
20. good2great (Posts: 1039; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
i'm very glad apple finally added these features... sure, everyone else has them BUT the point is iPhone users didn't
GOOD JOB APPLE...
as long as they continue to update more than innovate they'll stay in the game for a very long time...
so to me "NEW" means "new to APPLE"
21. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Still nothing new.... same old same old....
22. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
The trolls have been working extra hard the last few days.
Fandroid logic = "having navigation is copying"
Common sense = google didn't invent navigation. Having the same features isn't copying if it's implemented in your own way. It's copying if you make it look and feel like your competitors.
By that logic android copied for having a web browser
25. Habib (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
Comes from the guy who is die hard APPLE fan?
23. guruprasad (Posts: 27; Member since: 13 Jul 2011)
siri can spell "a"(1 new feature).siri can spell "b"(1 new feature) n so on ......... gr8 job apple keep it up..........
24. Habib (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
I think everyone already said what i was going to but REALLY?
its just sad SMH!!!!
33. Dadler22 (Posts: 161; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Fandroid users mad they cant afford iPhones
47. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
they both cost roughly the same... what I like about ios is they constantly increase the amount of internal memory, I love having more to save my media. 64GB is perfect. I also love my android LG 3D phone that a lot of games are free that on ios cost money and the 3D effects are pretty sweet... I love having the best of both worlds.
35. binerry (Posts: 72; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I don't think I saw in the list, but correct me if I'm wrong I think a feature that was added was the date in the Notification Center in the calendar header.
36. scnix (Posts: 41; Member since: 01 Jul 2010)
Looks like Apple is playing catch up. Better hurry Apple, you're still lagging behind!
48. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
They do tend to lag behind dont they? a lot of features are available on jailbreak or on other devices long before apple officially add it.. but 9 times out of 10 they do a very good job of it when they do finally add the feature, that is what I like about apple is they dont rush to release anything so they can say they are the first to have done it.. I rather wait and have a better quality working service or product..
and no I am not trying to bash any other os because I think android,windows phones are pretty good as well and even symbian and blackberry the linux of phones :D
40. Miquel_1987 (Posts: 21; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
Can any one tell me please if the new ios supports mp3 ringtone?? because i see in other music ringtone??? i am not sure if thats it. thx
46. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
no and it probably wont ever support it... ringtones are easy to make though
45. Unleashed (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Aug 2011)
These os wars are just stupid... both have their advantages and at the end of the day "best is relative" you get what works best for YOU and who cares what others have? bashing any os just because you went with another one is just stupid
53. xjettx (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
It's hilarious how so many of you think that Apple is just copying everyone else or is falling behind as they come out with features that already exist on other phones. How do you think they got to be #1 in the market? By coming out with exclusive features? No. In this day and age of technology, you can have just as much, if not more, simply by taking something that's already out there and making it better. It may be unoriginal, but it can still be better than THE original.
Oh yeah, and while we're talking about companies copying each other, take a look at versions of Samsung's Galaxy line and HTC's Evo line... Yeah, no resemblance whatsoever... Clearly Apple is the only one copying other companies...