x PhoneArena is looking for new authors in New York! To view all available positions, click here.

HP TouchPad owners reporting cracks appearing in the device's plastic housing

Posted: , by Nick T.

HP TouchPad owners reporting cracks appearing in the device's plastic housing
It has come to our attention that a number of HP TouchPad owners are having troubles with their tablet. Unfortunately, it is not a software glitch that can be easily fixed with a patch – the issue revolves around cracks in the plastic housing of the device right in between the speakers of the unit and its display or around its headphone socket. The cracks have not been reported to have affected the tablet's functionality in any way so far, yet you would probably agree that such an imperfection is unacceptable when one drops $500 on a brand name gadget.

Reportedly, HP is already aware of the situation and is offering replacement TouchPads to its customers. Those who have contacted the company's support team should be getting a refurbished unit, presumably with a stronger housing, in exchange for their defective tablet. On the other hand, those who have purchased their HP TouchPad at a retail store are said to be getting a brand new unit instead of a refurbished one, hopefully from a newer batch that would not cause any troubles.

If you happen to be an HP TouchPad owner yourself, you might want to check and see whether your device is having the same problem as well since some people were not even aware of the issue until they read about it online. Feel free to drop a comment below and let us know if everything is fine with your tablet.

source: PreCentral Forums, webOSroundup

HP TouchPad owners reporting cracks appearing in the device's plastic housing
HP TouchPad owners reporting cracks appearing in the device's plastic housing

posted on 28 Jul 2011, 12:37

1. 1234kid (unregistered)

My Motorola Xoom tablet no issues at all. Solid device all the way around.

posted on 28 Jul 2011, 14:12

2. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)

I'm not surprised. The design is very similar to that of the iphone 3g. The iphone 3g also suffered from hairline cracks around the edges and its corners.

posted on 19 Aug 2011, 04:20

3. Pet preform manufacturers (unregistered)

I appreciate your post. I also wrote that SMS advertising provides a cost effective method of targeting promotions to specific customer profiles. You might want to remind customers of specific events or promotions, but for whatever reasons, SMS allows you to pass information directly to the right customer at very affordable prices and fast delivery.
Pet preform manufacturers

posted on 20 Aug 2011, 02:41

4. PET preform manufacturers in i (unregistered)

I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I'll love to read your next post too.

Regards

PET preform manufacturers in india

posted on 31 Aug 2011, 16:02

5. carolinagirl843 (unregistered)

I just noticed my Touchpad has cracks in the case.

posted on 02 Sep 2011, 08:35

6. YAZMAN (unregistered)

I noticed cracks in my case, both around the speakers, and the USB port, and this was after having the tablet for just a week! I called HP Butler service at 1-866-945-7256 and they offered and advance replacement or repair service for free. I went with the advance replacement (and yes I was warned it is a 'reconditioned' unit), but from what I have read around the web basically that is just returned Touchpad's that had the same problem and they repaired them. I'll definitely be getting some bodyarmour for the 'new' one. Very happy to see that HP is standing behind their product even though they are no longer making them.

posted on 26 Sep 2011, 05:00

7. Stock Market (unregistered)

very good post, i was really searching for this topic as i wanted this topic to understand completely and it is also very rare in internet that is why it was very difficult to understand

thank you for sharing this.

Regard