25% of cell towers in 10 states are out, payphones become relevant again
Unfortunately, the situation is expected to get worse. As their battery back-ups run out, more and more cellular towers will go out rendering wireless services even more unreliable.
It is being highlighted, however, that outages for landline phones are much less widespread. If your cell phone isn't working and you need to make a call, perhaps you can try using a payphone. The photo that you see here is of a queue in front of a payphone in New York, posted on Instagram by user James Del. Rare sight indeed.
source: CNET, James Del (Instagram) via Engadget, Gizmodo
1. ajac09 (Posts: 1367; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
time to make pay phones free at least for this crisis.
2. mercorp (Posts: 972; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
I'm at a payphone trying to call home
All of my change I spent on you
Where have the times gone
Baby it's all wrong, where are the plans we made for two?
3. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1359; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Rofl..i was just listening to it on radio
5. Cyan3boN (Posts: 425; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
these people should just stay in their homes.
8. ibap (Posts: 702; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
Cyan3boN - your avatar says it all about your post. Yuck! I presume you poop on everything? Maybe they're calling to check on mom, or tell her they are OK.
6. Malique001 (Posts: 58; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Finally an article on the situation. I thought it was my Galaxy Nexus having radio issues but this still blows. Hopefully Verizon fixes the issue asap
9. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6588; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Yep i was like selling pre paid phones like crazy today. try to call my relatives in ny/nj non of them doesn't have power only text works
10. Malique001 (Posts: 58; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
*Update* Verizon towers in NYC are working again guys. 3G and 4G are back