Executive with two phones dies after one explodes in his bedroom while charging

Executive with two phones dies after one explodes in his bedroom while charging
Nazrin Hassan was the CEO at the Cradle Fund, which is owned by the Malaysian Ministry of Finance. The fund helps start-up tech firms in the country. Hassan's death occurred when one of two smartphones he was known for carrying around each day, exploded and caught fire in his bedroom. Hassan's smartphones were made by BlackBerry and Huawei, and both were being charged at the time of the explosion. It is unknown which of the two had overheated to start the chain of events that proved fatal.

The fire, however, was not the cause of Hassan's death according to the victim's brother-in-law, who posted about Nazrin's passing on social media. The unnamed relative said that one of the phones overheated and when it exploded, parts of the phone hit him in the back of the head causing a blunt trauma. The brother-in-law added that while the raging fire eventually burned the mattress in the bedroom, by then Hassan was already dead.

The social media posting also warned smartphone users to be careful when charging their phones, suggesting that people refrain from using their bedroom outlets to power up. "It's worth the inconvenience of not having your mobile a hand’s reach away," said the brother-in-law.


The police aren't totally on board with the idea that shrapnel from the phone was the reason for the victim's death. The cops say that smoke inhalation is a more probable reason for the executive's demise.

FEATURED VIDEO

27 Comments

1. fyah_king unregistered

Damn!!!!!

2. Zomer

Posts: 361; Member since: May 31, 2013

I highly doubt it was the explosion.

7. darkkjedii

Posts: 31058; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

Doubt on.

10. j_grouchy

Posts: 177; Member since: Nov 08, 2016

How does doubting the reported cause of death showing disrespect? Your post is out of line.

15. Crispin_Gatieza

Posts: 3137; Member since: Jan 23, 2014

I don't recall seeing a cause of death. A layman's guess is hardly an official proclamation. Even the police doubt the account from the brother-in-law. Follow the money.

19. Venom

Posts: 3574; Member since: Dec 14, 2017

Well it's not like smartphone explosions haven't happened before. And one of the devices happens to be a blackberry.

22. Crispin_Gatieza

Posts: 3137; Member since: Jan 23, 2014

And the other device is a Huawei, what's your point? To my knowledge, neither brand has a history of exploding. Apple and Samsung, that's another story.

28. Venom

Posts: 3574; Member since: Dec 14, 2017

My point is that it was a blackberry that exploded, a blackberry that you and that crazy guy have implied to be well built devices with no issues.

3. NarutoKage14

Posts: 1324; Member since: Aug 31, 2016

I'm going with the police version on this. The shrapnel probably hit him with enough force to keep him unconscious and the smoke killed him. The phone was probably 2-5 feet away and I don't think it could have exploded with enough energy to kill at that distance.

11. sissy246

Posts: 7115; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

Agree I think they will find the final cause of death will be the smoke.

4. Doakie

Posts: 2478; Member since: May 06, 2009

Hillary did it! He was suicided! /S

6. bucky

Posts: 3785; Member since: Sep 30, 2009

Wrong person killed. You’re thinking the other deaths.

8. sissy246

Posts: 7115; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

Really, your making jokes about something so awful. Yes I see the /s but it's really not cool.

5. geordie8t1

Posts: 299; Member since: Nov 16, 2015

this is crazy, just shows how doing something, billions of us do every night can still turn deadly, i dont believe either that the phones explosion killed him, i agree with other comments and police initial response, he was probably knocked out and died from smoke inhalation, terrible tragedy never the less, rip friend

9. darkkjedii

Posts: 31058; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

F’n sad man.Wowwwww...

12. Plasticsh1t

Posts: 3106; Member since: Sep 01, 2014

Rest in peace.

13. mootu

Posts: 1520; Member since: Mar 16, 2017

There is one rule i have made in my house and that is that nothing with a lithium battery is left charging overnight. In a household with over 30 recharable devices that is a lot of potential explosions, it doesn't matter what it is or who makes it any lithium battery can go at any time.

14. BLUEBLASTER

Posts: 930; Member since: Feb 23, 2014

Still no Note 7 jokes? I'm shocked guys.

24. mixedfish

Posts: 1555; Member since: Nov 17, 2013

There aren't any Note 7 guys left to comment...

25. mootu

Posts: 1520; Member since: Mar 16, 2017

You would be suprised. There were over 130,000 Note 7's that were never returned, some people just refused to part with them.

29. matistight

Posts: 986; Member since: May 13, 2009

Thats over $120,000,000 USD that Samsung hasn't given back. They're probably pretty happy about that.

* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.