iOS 6 coming to older iPhone and iPad models, but not with all of its features
Sure, it sounded great when Apple said that the new iOS 6 will come to the iPhone 3GS and newer models (and it sounded bad when it said iOS 6 is not coming to the original iPad), but it turns out that some of the coolest features will be left out. And the 3GS won't be the only model that will miss a big part of the fun... Here are all the exceptions that you might want to know about:
1. While the new Maps app will come to the older devices, the cool new features - turn-by-turn directions and Flyover - won't be available on the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Sad face :(
2. For a moment there we thought that the updated Siri will hit all iOS 6-powered devices, but no. It'll still be available only on the iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation). Probably because Apple hates people using older gear. Just kidding, the reason is probably in the mics used in the older devices.
3. The Shared Photo Streams feature will not be supported by the iPhone 3GS.
4. Strangely enough, the VIP options in the Mail app will not be available in the iPhone 3GS. We doubt that hardware limitations were the reason for this.
5. The same goes for the Offline Reading List feature. No iPhone 3GS support.
6. Finally, the Made for iPhone hearing aids will require you to have an iPhone 4S.
Well, these were some serious feature-cuts, but hey, let's look on the bright side - everything else should be available on your aging iGadgets, and that means you'll still be getting a lot of new stuff! And think about all the performance optimizations that have also been made in iOS 6 - you'll be getting those too. So even with these nasty omissions, considering the other mobile OS's around, we have to admit that Apple is still doing pretty good when it comes to software support for older devices.
- Display 3.5" 640 x 960 pixels
- Camera 8 MP / 0.3 MP VGA front
- Processor Apple A5, Dual-core, 800 MHz
- Storage 64 GB
Posts: 5713; Member since: Oct 23, 2011
posted on Jun 11, 2012, 2:42 PM 3
Posts: 1476; Member since: Dec 01, 2011
posted on Jun 11, 2012, 2:44 PM 5
Posts: 2137; Member since: Jan 06, 2011
posted on Jun 11, 2012, 7:53 PM 2
Posts: 32; Member since: Oct 07, 2011
posted on Jun 11, 2012, 8:22 PM 0
Posts: 14605; Member since: Dec 19, 2008
posted on Jun 11, 2012, 8:36 PM 2
Posts: 306; Member since: Sep 21, 2011
posted on Jun 12, 2012, 3:25 PM 0
* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.
PhoneArena Comments Rules
A discussion is a place, where people can voice their opinion, no matter if it is positive, neutral or negative. However, when posting, one must stay true to the topic, and not just share some random thoughts, which are not directly related to the matter.
Things that are NOT allowed:
- Off-topic talk - you must stick to the subject of discussion
- Trolling - see a description
- Flame wars
- Offensive, hate speech - if you want to say something, say it politely
- Spam/Advertisements - these posts are deleted
- Multiple accounts - one person can have only one account
- Impersonations and offensive nicknames - these accounts get banned
Moderation is done by humans. We try to be as objective as possible and moderate with zero bias. If you think a post should be moderated - please, report it.
Have a question about the rules or why you have been moderated/limited/banned? Please, contact us.
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):