Google pulls the plug on old versions of Drive, other G Suite apps, in April
Those for some reason stuck on old versions of these apps, will begin getting prompts to update starting March 1. Come April 3, Google will pull the plug on these legacy versions for good. This goes both for the iOS and Android versions of the G Suite apps.
The new versions of Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides, are objectively better than the legacy versions that will be put to pasture, but there are people out there who are still using them for one reason or another. Those who simply don’t like updating will have to either live with the new versions, or give up G Suite completely. It’s an easy choice to make, we think. However, then there are those who may not have updated due to hardware and/or software constraints.
Here is the full list of apps that will cease to function after April 3:
- Google Drive for Android (prior to version 2.4.311)
- Google Docs for Android (prior to version 1.6.292)
- Google Sheets for Android (prior to version 1.6.292)
- Google Slides for Android (prior to version 1.6.292)
- Google Drive for iOS (prior to version 4.16)
- Google Docs for iOS (prior to version 1.2016.12204)
- Google Sheets for iOS (prior to version 1.2016.12208)
- Google Slides for iOS (prior to version 1.2016.12203)