x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

Samsung U740 renamed to Alias

Posted: , by PhoneArena Team

Tags :

Samsung U740 renamed to Alias
The U740 was released in Feb 2007, yet now over a year later, Verizon has decided to change the branding of the phone to Alias. No official word was given by Verizon as to why they decided on a name change, but one can only guess it's to move away from obscure model numbers to a catchy name, now that we know the upcoming U940 will be called "Glyde".

Samsung U740 renamed to Alias
Taken from the Verizon site:

"At first glance, the Samsung Alias in Black looks like a sleek, high–style, high–class handset. All looks. All style. But don't be fooled. This handset has an alias – a dual–hinged form factor that transforms it from a standard handset to a mini messaging center, complete with a full QWERTY keyboard."

Regardless of the phone being renamed, we still don't think it's QWERTY keypad is all that useful, and we have a few other gripes about the design.

Samsung Alias Specification | Review

posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:41

1. steviecrackberry (unregistered)

elgay02 are you getting this phone?

posted on 13 May 2008, 15:16

21. k8 (unregistered)

yes i think so

posted on 14 May 2008, 20:44

24. cool gurl (unregistered)

im getting it

posted on 06 Mar 2008, 18:28

2. T-Money3000 (unregistered)

This phone is pretty awesome. I just sold 2 today. The 'Glyde' looks pretty cool too. We'll see how sales go with it.

posted on 06 Mar 2008, 18:44

3. elgee02 (unregistered)

Very clever crackboy but as for your question heck no. I hate this phone, my hands are way too big for that keypad. I got an 8830 as my work phone and for my personal line I just replaced my enV with an SMT5800, so far I love it.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 23:04

I also have this phone. Well, im not relly crazed over it anymore...................... its keys are way too small even though i have tiny fingers and its not as fast as the phones nowadays. I have the black one and the buttons dont light up so when its dark its hard to txt or do anything. I wouldn't recommend this phone at all. The only good thing is that it's a bit more durable than the phone I used to have....

posted on 16 Apr 2009, 22:55

58. miacan1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Apr 2009)

The buttons are designed to light up. Yours may be broken.

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 09:53

4. T-HUFF (unregistered)

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 11:50

5. Tiger Uppercut (unregistered)

why not just release an upgrade to this called the alias. i love this phone but lets face facts....its old and busted. DUTCH HATER!!!

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 12:17

6. Gib (unregistered)

The name doesn't even make sense. An Alias is a different name....the u740's alias is Alias? But i agree, they should have done an update to the phone and then renamed that rather then the old and busted version now

posted on 13 May 2008, 21:18

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 16:24

7. George (unregistered)

WAYY too late on the naming on Verizon's part. I say they should have a new, and better upgrade to the phone, also named Alias, as competition to the enV continuation. Okay name, but it does not compare at all tto the upcoming Glyde from Samsung.

posted on 08 Mar 2008, 22:16

8. Gib (unregistered)

Just because you don't like the current definition of the word doesn't affect my usage of it. "Gay" didn't always meen homosexual and all that jazz. Only did it in the 90s. Now it means lame. Don't be gay about definitions Bob

posted on 09 Mar 2008, 13:42

9. XY1980 (unregistered)

I love my phone---I'm a texter, but hate big smart phones-- 98% of the time I only use my phone for texting and calling---so it's smart for my habits. Oh and gay men and women should love this phone---it's skinny and cute--- And the whole "gay" as lame slang is so yesterday---I only hear people over 30 saying this to seem cool, or excuse me kewl, as they'd say... yeah you're cool---sure--

posted on 10 Mar 2008, 09:29

yeah I'm gay and wow your post was totaly gay and thats a lot coming from me. lighten up dude....i work for verizon and I agree totaly lame and late in the game to re name a phone we've had out for a year. BUT my bro wanted it and he likes it so it's not that bad a phone but is gay on the lateness and nameing.

posted on 14 Mar 2008, 13:57

11. Karen (unregistered)

What is with all these comments that say gay? My children say it all the time but I thought at least on the internet it wouldn't be used forty million times! Gosh!

posted on 14 Mar 2008, 16:28

12. Jay (unregistered)

Has anybody any issues with the battery life of this phone? I've had my phone like two weeks and for the life of me cannot understand why it seems that this damn thing cannot hold a charge. Now I do a lot of texting with this phone, but I also did a lot of texting with the motorola that I had owned previously and it took at least two or three days for the battery to completely die out. It seems with these samsung batteries that i am only getting about 18-24 hours of life out of them, even with the freaking extended battery. Anybody else having this problem??

posted on 18 Mar 2008, 22:23

13. Liz (unregistered)

Jay- I'm having the same problem with mine! It's maybe two weeks old and the battery which was working great for awhile is now dying after 15 hrs. I'm glad someone else is experiencing the same thing. The little water indicators have gone off already, so they won't fix it either. grrr hate verizon but it's the only plan that gives decent coverage

posted on 26 Mar 2008, 13:15

14. chelsey (unregistered)

my battery lasts for maybe six hours at most. if im using it a lot. when im on i constantly it goes dead faster. makes snese that it would. but i

posted on 28 Mar 2008, 14:49

15. blue w. (unregistered)

I have had my "alias" for a short time and the only problem i have with it at all, is that the right soft-key does not work in landscape mode.

posted on 28 Jul 2008, 08:44

it's not supposed to. it's only supposed to work in portrait mode. trust me.

posted on 18 Oct 2008, 23:14

52. liz (unregistered)

ya i thought it was supposed to work, but then i read the manual and was proved wrong

posted on 31 Mar 2008, 15:09

16. t (unregistered)

The keyboard is terrific. A higher res screen would be useful, as would a better camera, but the form-factor is unbeatable, unless you're an IT guy who's cool with having giant devices hanging from your belt.

posted on 01 Apr 2008, 05:21

17. k3davis (unregistered)

It looks as though the phone DOES get an update with its name change. http://news.vzw.com/news/2008/03/pr2008-03-28i.html

posted on 19 Apr 2008, 11:46

18. Colleen Eezelbaumer (unregistered)

everyone is complaining about battery issues.. i have had my phone since february and it works like a charm too! i drop it, and it still works, and it barely scratches.. amybe i just have Super-phone, but i think this phones awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on 22 Apr 2008, 18:38

19. hate this phone (unregistered)

Though the phone has a keyboard it is easier to text on a regular phone because the design sucks and the battery is terrible i do not recommend this phone

posted on 29 Apr 2008, 16:11

20. autumn (unregistered)

this phone isn't for people with big fingers. but, i like it. it's simplistic and has a sleek design. as far as battery issues, that's due to the owner not taking proper care.

posted on 02 Jun 2008, 15:04

28. maruch (unregistered)

autumn- what do you mean the battery life is from the user not taking care of it? I just got my alias three days ago and the battery dies after less than 24 hours. I used to have a blackberry and I wouldn't have to charge that for like two or three days sometimes. Is there a way to extend the life/prevent it from going dead faster?

posted on 14 May 2008, 17:00

my cousin has this phone and im getng tomorrow for my birthday!?!?! yay! she says its a good phone and its has very little keys,, dont use if ur fat!!!! it will be hard!!! haha little fingers are nessacary and no long nails

posted on 19 May 2008, 18:56

26. alyssa (unregistered)

haha i have long nails AND extremely fat thumbs [yes, only my thumbs are fat] but i still use it well