Samsung U740 renamed to Alias

Posted: , by PhoneArena Team

Samsung U740 renamed to Alias
The U740 was released in Feb 2007, yet now over a year later, Verizon has decided to change the branding of the phone to Alias. No official word was given by Verizon as to why they decided on a name change, but one can only guess it's to move away from obscure model numbers to a catchy name, now that we know the upcoming U940 will be called "Glyde".

Samsung U740 renamed to Alias
Taken from the Verizon site:

"At first glance, the Samsung Alias in Black looks like a sleek, high–style, high–class handset. All looks. All style. But don't be fooled. This handset has an alias – a dual–hinged form factor that transforms it from a standard handset to a mini messaging center, complete with a full QWERTY keyboard."

Regardless of the phone being renamed, we still don't think it's QWERTY keypad is all that useful, and we have a few other gripes about the design.

Samsung Alias Specification | Review

posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:41

1. steviecrackberry (unregistered)

elgay02 are you getting this phone?

posted on 13 May 2008, 15:16

21. k8 (unregistered)

yes i think so

posted on 14 May 2008, 20:44

24. cool gurl (unregistered)

im getting it

posted on 06 Mar 2008, 18:28

2. T-Money3000 (unregistered)

This phone is pretty awesome. I just sold 2 today. The 'Glyde' looks pretty cool too. We'll see how sales go with it.

posted on 06 Mar 2008, 18:44

3. elgee02 (unregistered)

Very clever crackboy but as for your question heck no. I hate this phone, my hands are way too big for that keypad. I got an 8830 as my work phone and for my personal line I just replaced my enV with an SMT5800, so far I love it.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 23:04

I also have this phone. Well, im not relly crazed over it anymore...................... its keys are way too small even though i have tiny fingers and its not as fast as the phones nowadays. I have the black one and the buttons dont light up so when its dark its hard to txt or do anything. I wouldn't recommend this phone at all. The only good thing is that it's a bit more durable than the phone I used to have....

posted on 16 Apr 2009, 22:55

58. miacan1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Apr 2009)

The buttons are designed to light up. Yours may be broken.

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 09:53

4. T-HUFF (unregistered)

I HAVE THIS PHONE, NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE BUT WHILE I USED IT I LOVED IT.

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 11:50

5. Tiger Uppercut (unregistered)

why not just release an upgrade to this called the alias. i love this phone but lets face facts....its old and busted. DUTCH HATER!!!

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 12:17

6. Gib (unregistered)

The name doesn't even make sense. An Alias is a different name....the u740's alias is Alias? But i agree, they should have done an update to the phone and then renamed that rather then the old and busted version now

posted on 13 May 2008, 21:18

agree

posted on 07 Mar 2008, 16:24

7. George (unregistered)

WAYY too late on the naming on Verizon's part. I say they should have a new, and better upgrade to the phone, also named Alias, as competition to the enV continuation. Okay name, but it does not compare at all tto the upcoming Glyde from Samsung.

posted on 08 Mar 2008, 22:16

8. Gib (unregistered)

Just because you don't like the current definition of the word doesn't affect my usage of it. "Gay" didn't always meen homosexual and all that jazz. Only did it in the 90s. Now it means lame. Don't be gay about definitions Bob

posted on 09 Mar 2008, 13:42

9. XY1980 (unregistered)

I love my phone---I'm a texter, but hate big smart phones-- 98% of the time I only use my phone for texting and calling---so it's smart for my habits. Oh and gay men and women should love this phone---it's skinny and cute--- And the whole "gay" as lame slang is so yesterday---I only hear people over 30 saying this to seem cool, or excuse me kewl, as they'd say... yeah you're cool---sure--

posted on 10 Mar 2008, 09:29

yeah I'm gay and wow your post was totaly gay and thats a lot coming from me. lighten up dude....i work for verizon and I agree totaly lame and late in the game to re name a phone we've had out for a year. BUT my bro wanted it and he likes it so it's not that bad a phone but is gay on the lateness and nameing.

posted on 14 Mar 2008, 13:57

11. Karen (unregistered)

What is with all these comments that say gay? My children say it all the time but I thought at least on the internet it wouldn't be used forty million times! Gosh!

posted on 14 Mar 2008, 16:28

12. Jay (unregistered)

Has anybody any issues with the battery life of this phone? I've had my phone like two weeks and for the life of me cannot understand why it seems that this damn thing cannot hold a charge. Now I do a lot of texting with this phone, but I also did a lot of texting with the motorola that I had owned previously and it took at least two or three days for the battery to completely die out. It seems with these samsung batteries that i am only getting about 18-24 hours of life out of them, even with the freaking extended battery. Anybody else having this problem??

posted on 18 Mar 2008, 22:23

13. Liz (unregistered)

Jay- I'm having the same problem with mine! It's maybe two weeks old and the battery which was working great for awhile is now dying after 15 hrs. I'm glad someone else is experiencing the same thing. The little water indicators have gone off already, so they won't fix it either. grrr hate verizon but it's the only plan that gives decent coverage

posted on 26 Mar 2008, 13:15

14. chelsey (unregistered)

my battery lasts for maybe six hours at most. if im using it a lot. when im on i constantly it goes dead faster. makes snese that it would. but i

posted on 28 Mar 2008, 14:49

15. blue w. (unregistered)

I have had my "alias" for a short time and the only problem i have with it at all, is that the right soft-key does not work in landscape mode.

posted on 28 Jul 2008, 08:44

it's not supposed to. it's only supposed to work in portrait mode. trust me.

posted on 18 Oct 2008, 23:14

52. liz (unregistered)

ya i thought it was supposed to work, but then i read the manual and was proved wrong

posted on 31 Mar 2008, 15:09

16. t (unregistered)

The keyboard is terrific. A higher res screen would be useful, as would a better camera, but the form-factor is unbeatable, unless you're an IT guy who's cool with having giant devices hanging from your belt.

posted on 01 Apr 2008, 05:21

17. k3davis (unregistered)

It looks as though the phone DOES get an update with its name change. http://news.vzw.com/news/2008/03/pr2008-03-28i.html

posted on 19 Apr 2008, 11:46

18. Colleen Eezelbaumer (unregistered)

everyone is complaining about battery issues.. i have had my phone since february and it works like a charm too! i drop it, and it still works, and it barely scratches.. amybe i just have Super-phone, but i think this phones awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on 22 Apr 2008, 18:38

19. hate this phone (unregistered)

Though the phone has a keyboard it is easier to text on a regular phone because the design sucks and the battery is terrible i do not recommend this phone

posted on 29 Apr 2008, 16:11

20. autumn (unregistered)

this phone isn't for people with big fingers. but, i like it. it's simplistic and has a sleek design. as far as battery issues, that's due to the owner not taking proper care.

posted on 02 Jun 2008, 15:04

28. maruch (unregistered)

autumn- what do you mean the battery life is from the user not taking care of it? I just got my alias three days ago and the battery dies after less than 24 hours. I used to have a blackberry and I wouldn't have to charge that for like two or three days sometimes. Is there a way to extend the life/prevent it from going dead faster?

posted on 14 May 2008, 17:00

my cousin has this phone and im getng tomorrow for my birthday!?!?! yay! she says its a good phone and its has very little keys,, dont use if ur fat!!!! it will be hard!!! haha little fingers are nessacary and no long nails

posted on 19 May 2008, 18:56

26. alyssa (unregistered)

haha i have long nails AND extremely fat thumbs [yes, only my thumbs are fat] but i still use it well

posted on 19 May 2008, 18:55

25. alyssa (unregistered)

yeah i have this phone and i love it, but my only problem is, like someone else said, it does NOT charge well at all. i'll charge it at night and bring it to school for 6 hours, and it will have 2 bars left. you think a couple texts wouldn't wear out a phone? actually this is my second phone of this type, because the first one stopped charging altogether at one point. still love it, regardless of that

posted on 25 May 2008, 11:41

SAME HERE. Odd thing about it is, this just started recently happening... When I first got my phone in September of 2007, I would charge it once overnight and it would last a good solid 2-3 days depending on how much I text/call (and I frequent both, usually). Now it dies within 5-7 hours of me just flipping open the screen to peruse the time. I admit to dropping it a couple of times, but that shouldn't drastically affect it like it has, should it? Also, I seem to get less reception in places where usually all my friends would be complaining and I would come to the rescue with MY phone but now I can't. And I have verizon, btw.

posted on 17 Oct 2008, 17:29

50. phone seller (unregistered)

ok well cell battery get weak after a while try *228 and press 2 it will reprogram it might help and if that dosent get a new battery or extended

posted on 03 Jun 2008, 19:45

29. Kurtis (unregistered)

I have this phone, have had it for a while, and I love it. It's really good for texting, although it takes some time to get used to it, I can text faster than people with t9 and I can also text without looking (complete with punctuation) It's one of the best phones on the market at the moment, I think you should get it! Don't be a wuss! do it! You'll like it

posted on 09 Jun 2008, 09:43

30. what now (unregistered)

autumns right it is due to owner care

posted on 25 Jun 2008, 03:07

31. supericcuhh (unregistered)

NOT WHAT IT SEEMS, LET ME TELL YOU THIS. i have this phone and its great and i love it, but i had my first alias stolen, so i got another alias, because i love it so much. but the second one i got, seemed to suck pretty badly. 1)it doesn't take calls unless its on speaker. which is pretty annoying. when its not on speaker, i can't hear anything and they can't hear me. 2) the screen "blinks" and flickers. and the screen doesn't show up at all when i flip it the long way. 3) battery sucks. doesn't last nearly as long as it should. sad thing? people who have used this told me that all of this was to be expected? i've basically concluded that verizon wireless has( although the coolest looking phones as well) the cheapest phones out of any other phones in any other network.

posted on 20 Jul 2008, 15:09

something must be wrong with yours. my friend's alias is new and hers seems to be working fine

posted on 30 Jul 2008, 11:25

40. aliaslover8D (unregistered)

yeah there's definately something wrong with your phone. i had a chocolate that did that and i dropped it several times and the screen almost came off(: yeah, get a new one. alias's are amazing phones.

posted on 17 Oct 2008, 17:27

49. phone seller (unregistered)

they dont have problems sounds like a messup like factory it happens you should of got the insurance or sent it back within the thirty days its not there fault it urs

posted on 25 Jun 2008, 19:49

Samsung Alias is Amazing! I SO LOVE this phone! I hope and pray that they will have a GSM Version of this!!!

posted on 26 Jun 2008, 18:48

i really really want this phone so so so bad! :[

posted on 02 Jul 2008, 18:50

34. q2mkilla (unregistered)

im gettin the phone and it looks cool and i'v wanted a txtin phone for a while

posted on 11 Jul 2008, 22:53

35. Charing mom (unregistered)

Charging seems is the problem. No charge appears randomly. I believe there is A Problem with this phone, especially I read here people having charging problems. Actually I hate verizon

posted on 30 Jul 2008, 11:27

41. aliaslover8D (unregistered)

i'm with you on hating verizon. they don't really have any cool phones besides the dare, enV2, and alias.

posted on 11 Jul 2008, 22:54

36. Charging mom (unregistered)

Verizon is A Monster

posted on 20 Jul 2008, 15:06

my friend has this phone and i think its awesome. its a little hard to text with, but the full keyboard really helps. speaker phone is a little difficult to find

posted on 07 Sep 2008, 20:53

oh yeah,the buttons are super small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the phone stinken sucks

posted on 17 Oct 2008, 17:24

48. phone seller (unregistered)

this phones awesome have no clue wat the hell ur talkin about keys are ok size and battery lasts a long time just charge it before you fall asleep and the only reason you wouldnt be able to use the key pad is iff your overwiegh lol there plenty good enough sized

posted on 20 Aug 2008, 14:15

42. cass (unregistered)

i've had this phone for a while now and i LOVE IT!! it is practically indestructable. i've dropped it so many times i can't count.. it's a little scratched up now... but that's just from using it.. and dropping it about a zillion times. but it still works as well as the day i bought it. i love the QWERTY keyboard... i can't type on regular phones now. the buttons are a bit small. definitely not for people with FFS, but i have no complaints. i've never had any issues with the battery.. other than forgetting to charge but that's my fault. the camera works great, the sound quality is wonderful... it's just an all around fantastic phone. i think i'll keep it till it gives out from exhaustion..

posted on 06 Sep 2008, 20:24

43. SomeRandomDude(SRS) (unregistered)

Well i just ordered this phone online and am expecting it within the next week or so. I've seen alot of reviews about it and the major problem seems to be battery life and.. yeah that's it. I love the design and i've really wanted/needed a texting phone for awhile now and if all that is gonna be a problem is battery life i think that's fine, alot of you say you only get 24 hours out of a charge so.. why not put it on the charger when you go to sleep so that it's always charged and you only use it throughout the waking day, like 14-16 hours, in my case anyway.

posted on 24 Sep 2008, 07:18

45. luckiehondo (unregistered)

hey im getting a samsung U740 and i was wondering if u know how to unlock it from verizon and put it on US cellular

posted on 25 Sep 2008, 12:39

46. Cherry (unregistered)

i could sworn cingular had a phone like this 1-2 yrs ago with the same design like a dual-hinge. but i'd like to know is there a gsm phone like this??? im sure there is but a dif. model.

posted on 17 Oct 2008, 17:20

47. phone seller (unregistered)

um hello i have had every cell out there on verizons network seriously by far like this one the best i hated the env2 and the battery seemed to be way worse on that the only flaw this phone has is when ur listenin to music you cant recieve a text without having to restart the song again and to thoughs gay puns im a gay man to and never had a problem and they did update the alias alot accually

posted on 18 Oct 2008, 12:26

i hav this phone

posted on 24 Oct 2008, 13:33

53. Hate On (unregistered)

I think that this is a perfect phone. I've had it for a while and the battery is not a problem. It falls and dosent scratch and the keypad is just fine. It may not seem better than the glyde, but it is because I've had the glyde and the touchscreen is not all that good. You have to press a button atleast 3 times to get it to work. Everybody needs to get out of the hype of the glyde is that it is not that good. The alias is better.

posted on 23 Nov 2008, 19:25

my brother has this phone and the battery stinks! you shut it sometimes and it turns off. Also, there are other websites where it says they stink.....warning: dont get it! its not worth it. We are getting a new phone for my brother. trust me!

posted on 29 Nov 2008, 22:17

i have this phone and its cool n all but i dont like samsung phones its slow i like the enV, im a texter i dont really call people so i guess its ok for now

posted on 29 Nov 2008, 22:25

i hate it ,i dont like the enV2 either. but if you text a lot i would suggest some thing from LG w/ a QWERTY key board